Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Monologues? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Jekyll & Hyde, Next to Normal, Les Mis
Main Role: Performer
Post Monologues?
I always have trouble finding good monologues. Does anybody know where I can find monologues from plays that aren't too overdone, age-appropriate for a teenage girl? Any good websites?

Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:24 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Stage Manager
Post Re: Monologues?
Are you looking for a specific audition or just to build up your repertoire? I wouldn't recommend looking on websites with monologue lists, because those monologues are always overdone since they are so easy to find. If you're looking to bulk up your rep, I'd suggest finding a couple of monologues in a variety of styles and time periods (comedic/dramatic, but also Shakespeare, contemporary, modern, etc.). I had a professor who suggested piecing together monologues from existing dialogue (which can actually be a lot easier than it sounds). That way, you're a lot less likely to end up using something that they've heard a thousand times. What type of roles are you wanting to go for in the future?

Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:41 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Jekyll & Hyde, Next to Normal, Les Mis
Main Role: Performer
Thank you so much, this was very helpful! I'm not really looking for anything specific, just looking to build up my repertoire. I am auditioning for an agent/manager showcase soon and will need one for that, (there aren't any specific requirements except for that it has to be age-approproate and from a play) and I'd prefer to do a comedic one. For the future there's a variety of different roles I'm hoping to go for, so I'll definitely need a good mix. Piecing together moulages from different dialogue is a very interesting idea, I think I'll give that a try! Thanks again! :D

Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:28 pm

Main Role: Stage Manager
It worked really well when I needed monologues for my portfolio classes. We had to have two (preferably a comedic and a dramatic) from Shakespeare, classic, contemporary, and modern styles as well as two wildcards per semester (some professors asked for an absurdist instead of one of the wildcards). It worked out pretty well as a good starting place, although it was hard to keep up with it at the pace we had to do them.

As for finding shows, there are several shows with good roles for older teenage girls. Shakespeare is full of younger women, although you have to be careful to avoid some of the most obvious monologues, as certain characters (i.e. Juliet) are obvious and gone to all of the time. As for modern/contemporary, a couple of shows I pulled teenage monologues that come to mind are Great Falls by Lee Blessing and Agnes of God by John Pielmeier. If you can play early twenties as well, that opens up even more options, but don't push it too old if you look young.

Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]