Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Eponine Audition (On My Own tips) 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Jekyll & Hyde, Next to Normal, Les Mis
Main Role: Performer
Post Eponine Audition (On My Own tips)
Hi! I have an audition for a local teen production of Les Mis in a few weeks and I am hoping for Eponine. She has been my dream role for a long time and I finally have the chance to audition for her!

The way it usually goes with this program is that for the initial audition, everybody has to sing the same song, which is one from the show that the director picks. Then, for callbacks, we have to sing part of the song (usually the end) that the character sings.

I have been constantly working on On My Own in the hopes that I get an Eponine callback, and I can belt the C, but I think it might sound better (and feel better) mixed instead. I do have a strong mix, but it is obviously not as strong as my belt. (I do think it is strong enough though.) Should I belt the "known" or mix it?

I'm conflicted because The people at this program know me , and in the past they have told me that I need to tone it down and pull back a little bit. I feel that if I don't belt out the C and just make sure my acting is really great, while also making sure my mix is strong obviously, that may be what they are asking for. Plus, I don't know how happy my voice teacher would be if I belted a C :roll:

Overall, my question is, is that note necessarily meant to be belted? If I have a strong enough mix can I use it? Will I not get the part if I put it in my mix instead? I'm kind of stressing out about this (I want the part sooo bad!!) so please let me know what you think! Thanks!

Last edited by eponinethenardier1 on Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:28 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Eponine Audition (On My Own tips)
I think you should belt it; that's the way it's done usually. I don't think mixing it would sound right unless you choose other moments throughout the song in which to mix.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:55 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thanks! :D I think I will try belting it and see how it sounds on my voice. My worry is that it will sound strained, but I will definitely go for it. I do mix in other places throughout the song, so it will probably work.

Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:12 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Phantom, Les Mis, Fiddler on the Roof
I think you should go for whatever you are most comfortable with and what you think sounds the best. Different people have different ways of approaching this song. For example, listen to Samantha Barks vs. Lea Salonga. Samantha tends to be a belter, while Lea sings it more lyrically, with at most a mixed belt. It sounds good either way - it just depends on the voice type.

Good luck!

Past: Irene Molloy (Hello, Dolly!), Chava (Fiddler on the Roof), Strawberry Seller (Oliver!), Chorus (Annie)

Dream roles: Christine (The Phantom of the Opera), Eponine (Les Miserables), any Disney leading lady

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:08 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thank you for your advice! Lea Salonga is, in fact, my favorite Eponine, and within the past couple days I've decided to use more of a mix. Thanks again! :D

Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]