The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
A Whole Line Up of great musicals and IDK 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post A Whole Line Up of great musicals and IDK
Hi! I'm Sprinkles and I'm new here. My school's musical theatre venue is planning on putting up some great musicals this season and I want to audition for all of them. Trouble is I'm having trouble deciding how to pick an audition song.

Here are my ideas for songs:
"Seventeen" or "Dead Girl Walking" from Heathers the Musical for Rock of Ages

We're also doing Fiddler on the Roof and I have no clue what to sing for that. I really want to play Hodel and I was thinking "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" from PotO, "Everlasting" from Tuck Everlasting, or even "Once Upon a December" from Anastasia since I know it in Russian. I'm not sure if singing a song in another language is a good idea. Along the same vein, I was considering "Mon Histoire" from Les Miz.

And lastly but not leastly, West Side Story auditions are in a few weeks. I was considering Sara Bareilles's "One Sweet Love" because I know I can sing that well but it's also not from a musical so i wasn't sure if that would be a problem. If not, I can also do any of the above mentioned songsb but some other ideas would greatly be appreciated. Thank you in advance! I'm pretty excited to join this community! :)

Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:30 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: A Whole Line Up of great musicals and IDK
The only thing needed is a solution for this problem.

Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:30 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Stage Manager
Post Re: A Whole Line Up of great musicals and IDK
I wouldn't recommend singing in another language. The only reason you should sing in another language for a musical theatre audition is if the show specifically calls for it (in which case it would probably be mentioned in the audition notice). "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" is the wrong style for Fiddler and showcases a much higher range than what the role of Hodel calls for. I'll have to think about a good song for that range, but thematically something like "How Could I Ever Know?" from The Secret Garden fits the idea of a love twinged with a sense of melancholy that "Far From the Home I Love Has". "Out of My Dreams" from Oklahoma and "I Could Have Danced All Night" from My Fair Lady used to be regular suggestions on this site as well if I remember correctly.

As for the school auditions, what level of school are you in? I don't know that I'd recommend something from Heathers for Rock of Ages. Rock of Ages is a jukebox musical featuring 1980s classic rock, so I'd go with something more of a classic rock style, whether musical theatre or not. Are you going for a specific role?

As for West Side Story, definitely don't sing Sara Bareilles. That music is too modern and absolutely nothing like West Side Story in style. Which role are you auditioning for?

Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]