Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Liesl Audition 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Urinetown
Main Role: Performer
Post Liesl Audition
My school is doing The Sound of Music for my senior year, and I really want to be Liesl. There are other characters that I wouldn't mind playing, but my main focus is on Liesl. Does anyone have song suggestions? I'm a mezzo with a range from about E3 to A5 if I warm up first.

Ruth-Children of Hooverville

Sun May 24, 2015 12:38 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Phantom, Les Mis, Fiddler on the Roof
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Liesl Audition
The main thing with this one is to find a song that's in your range and fits the character and style of the musical.

Here are a few suggestions:

- "Ribbons Down My Back" from Hello, Dolly!: This is sung by a slightly older character, a young widow named Irene Molloy, but it has a youthful sort of sentiment, is in a classic musical style, and is also in a pretty comfortable range for most people (I'm a first soprano and have recently begun rehearsals after having been cast in this role in a local production of Hello, Dolly! - this song is on the lower end of my range but would be very comfortable for a mezzo).

- "Cockeyed Optimist" or "A Wonderful Guy" from South Pacific: This is a very youthful character, and naturally the style is similar since South Pacific is another Rodgers and Hammerstein show.

- "I Feel Pretty" from West Side Story: Again, youthful role, classic musical.

- "Matchmaker" from Fiddler on the Roof: Definitely a song for a young character from another classic, golden age musical that's in an extremely comfortable key for mezzos. I played the role of Chava in Fiddler on the Roof last year and had a fun time with this song. It's also a great piece to use to demonstrate acting skills.

- "In My Own Little Corner" and "A Lovely Night" from Cinderella: These are songs for a young character from another Rodgers and Hammerstein show. They're pretty comfortable for mezzos and also can be used to use to show off acting skills.

Hope these help! I've always wanted to play Liesl and hope I'll get an opportunity one day (I'm in college but will most likely be cast in younger roles for a lot of my stage career because of the way I look). Let me know how it goes. :)

Past: Irene Molloy (Hello, Dolly!), Chava (Fiddler on the Roof), Strawberry Seller (Oliver!), Chorus (Annie)

Dream roles: Christine (The Phantom of the Opera), Eponine (Les Miserables), any Disney leading lady

Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]