The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Audition advice--full season rather than one show 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Audition advice--full season rather than one show
Hi. It's been a long time since I've been on these boards. I am currently getting together my audition materials for a year round theatre and was wondering about the songs. They have asked for two contrasting songs. Up to this point, I have only been auditioning in a per show basis (both professional and community). Since this is new, I was wondering what the theatre companies are looking for. Do you pick contrasting songs to show your range or do you perform songs that would go for one or two of the shows, but not for all of them? For example, the season I am auditioning for are all different types: Anything Goes, Smoke on the Mountain, Grease, Mary Poppins, just to name a few. What type of song(s) should I sing?

I was planning on either Someone Else's Story from Chess as my ballad and possibly something from Hairspray (most likely Momma, I'm a Big Girl Now). Would these two work and is there enough of a contrast? Or should I pick something else?

Thanks!

Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:49 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Audition advice--full season rather than one show
You're on the right track with wanting to sing something from those two shows, but the problem is that those specific songs are rather overdone. Here's my suggestions:

-Chess: either Nobody's Side or Heaven Help My Heart
-Hairspray: Cooties or New Girl in Town (from the 2007 film)

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:20 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thanks for responding. As I am auditioning for professional regional theatres, I cannot sing something from a movie--it has to be from a stage musical. I am not dead set on singing anything from Hairspray.

I really would like a answer to the two original questions I had: I was wondering what the theatre companies are looking for. Do you pick contrasting songs to show your range or do you perform songs that would go for one or two of the shows, but not for all of them?

Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:46 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

wlcm2brdwy wrote:
Thanks for responding. As I am auditioning for professional regional theatres, I cannot sing something from a movie--it has to be from a stage musical. I am not dead set on singing anything from Hairspray.

I really would like a answer to the two original questions I had: I was wondering what the theatre companies are looking for. Do you pick contrasting songs to show your range or do you perform songs that would go for one or two of the shows, but not for all of them?

I would just pick one song, although it would be hard to encompass multiple musical styles within just one song. I'm sure it's still possible. Is singing a song for each show an option? Because that would make more sense.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:42 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

The audition notice says 2 contrasting songs...so I have to sing two. Thanks anyway for your help. I've decided what is best for me to sing.

Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:04 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I believe that contrasting songs would do you better, as it'll show your flexibility when it comes to theatre art. However, if you decide to pick a song, make sure that you really, really know it and enjoy singing.

Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]