The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Which song should I audition with?!?! 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Which song should I audition with?!?!
So, I'm auditioning for a community theatre production of Chicago! I have my monologue chosen already, its from Slow Dance on the Killing Ground and its pretty comedic and raunchy. But I don't have a huge musical background, and auditions have never been my strong point.

I have studied one song with a professional voice teacher, it was In My Own Little Corner from Cinderella. Quite basic, not very challenging. I have some other pieces I've auditioned with, though. By The Sea from Sweeney Todd and the Cups audition piece from Pitch Perfect I'm both comfortable with and got callbacks from. But I'm also considering trying out Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend, but I'd have to learn it fast, without help.

So folks! What do you think out of those four pieces? Please let me know, and thanks for your help!!!! :)

Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:23 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Which song should I audition with?!?!
"Corner" and "Diamonds" are both very overdone, and "Cups" is so associated with its respective film that the production staff will very probably make comparisons to Anna Kendrick. I like "By The Sea", but if you're set on a song from Sweeney Todd, I would suggest "Wait". CHICAGO was written by Kander & Ebb and they have a very large oeuvre, so maybe think about something from one of their other shows. Here are some suggestions:

-Where You Are (Kiss of the Spider Woman)
-So What (Cabaret)
-Colored Lights (The Rink)
-Everybody's Girl (Steel Pier)
-It's A Business (Curtains)

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:43 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Re: Which song should I audition with?!?!
If I was going to choose one from your list, it would be Diamonds. Cinderella isn't appropriate for a Chicago audition and I personally don't think Sondheim is either.

I agree with the above - go with a song from another Kander & Ebb show. Cabaret is a good option.

Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]