The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Auditioning for Into the Woods 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Auditioning for Into the Woods
Okay, so I'm auditioning for Into the Woods on Dec. 2 or 3rd. I wanted to audition for either Little Red, Granny, or the Witch. I'm 5' 9" so I don't know if I could get Little Red. But I need 16 bars of a song (not from Into the Woods) and a 1 minute (or less) monologue (once again, not from Into the Woods) The song I was planning to do was "Nothing" from A Chorus Line from the point where she sings "Mr. Karp he would say, Very good! Except Morales!" to the point where she says "And I tried to Melt!" Do you think this song would be appropriate? For the monologue I have no idea what to do. I'm very good at the "This morning a bird woke me up..." from the Fantasticks and this director has never seen me do that one. But I don't know if that one is suitable for these characters or this musical in general. If not, any suggestions?
Thank you!

Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:10 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Re: Auditioning for Into the Woods
Little Red and the Witch are quite different, so if I were you I'd focus on one or the other. Generally speaking, being tall would reduce your chances of getting cast as Little Red, so I'd go for the Witch.

I'm not familiar with A Chorus Line, so I won't be much help there, but I would choose another Sondheim piece for an ITW audition. Others might disagree - that's just my $0.02 :)

Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:36 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: eternal obsession = Evita
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Auditioning for Into the Woods
I agree with Belle. Because of your height it's more likely you would be cast as the Witch than Little Red.

Unfortunately, both the song and monologue you chose would be better suited for Little Red, although I also agree you should try to choose pieces from other Sondheim works for your audition.

Is this a school production? Community theater? What kind of age ranges will be auditioning?

Also, what is your vocal range, typically? (Soprano, mezzo, alto?)

Knowing that will help with suggestions. But you can also do some research on your own, focusing on pieces that would match the Witch's part, your vocal and age range, and are written by Sondheim.

Hope that helps!

All-Star Musical Character >> Maria, WEST SIDE STORY
Theme Song >> "Nowadays," CHICAGO

Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]