The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Audition help for Alto 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Audition help for Alto
So I have auditions for my school's spring musical in two weeks and I'm freaking out! My director doesn't announce the show until after the auditions so I have no idea what I should be singing.... However, I'm an alto with a strong belt and I need something that can show that off! This help is desperately needed!!! (To give a better idea of my voice, I usually use A New Life from Jekyll and Hyde as an audition song) Thank you sooo much!! :D :D :D

Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:24 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: eternal obsession = Evita
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Audition help for Alto
My advice would be to think of the types of alto belt roles you would like to get and/or you are best at portraying, regardless of which musical is chosen in the end. It will help you narrow down your song options. Would you enjoy playing someone more serious, or comedic? Angry or sweet? Vocally, are you better at uptempo or ballad? Etc. It's hard to envision because you don't know what your real role options will be, but if you nail the audition with a piece you enjoy singing and can sing well, you have a better chance of being considered for whatever role best suits your voice and personality.

P.S. If you know and like "A New Life", there's nothing wrong with using that song. Unless you've already used it for an audition at your school...

All-Star Musical Character >> Maria, WEST SIDE STORY
Theme Song >> "Nowadays," CHICAGO

Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]