Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Les Miserables - Who Am I??? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Les Miserables
Main Role: Performer
Post Les Miserables - Who Am I???
My apologies for the terrible pun in the subject area.

So, my school is putting on Les Miserables for our winter musical this year, and auditions are fast approaching (October 14th - YIKES!!!). However, I'm having a bit of trouble deciding who to go out for. I am a 16 year old male junior with a voice range extending from D2 (D below Bass Clef) to a belted A5 (occasionally a B5, both located above the tenor's treble clef). Who should I audition for and what songs would you recommend? Feel free to ask any additional questions you feel could be needed to answer honestly.

Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:45 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Re: Les Miserables - Who Am I???
All of the male characters are very different - in what type of roles have you been cast in the past? The romantic hero? Villains?

It'll also depend on your physical stature - Javert needs a more commanding stage presence than Marius, for example.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:49 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I have been cast in a varied range of characters in the past from Wilbur (Charlotte's Web) to Cogsworth (Beauty and The Beast) to Vinny Covello (an abusive husband in Angelina Project). I am about average height for my age, possibly taller, standing at about 5'10". Not bulky, but not scrawny either. My role seems to vary widely from show to show.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:54 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

In that case, it really depends on which character is most attractive to you. If I wasn't a girl, I would love to play either Javert or Enjrolas.

Personally I feel that Valjean is a very difficult role and requires a strong vocalist and actor to pull it off. If you feel confident, you should give it a shot!

Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:00 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Alright, thanks! I appreciate the input!

Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:04 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Sondheim Everything
depending on your competition, I would go for Marius. Since you're a junior and one of the oldest, you're more likely to get a larger role like Marius, but not the insane difficult ones like Jean or Javert. (The best Javert's are usually bulkier as well in my opinion.) If you don't have a lot of competition, I'd say Javert if you're looking for an amazing challenge and work, because if done right, Javert steals the show and kills it. My opinion. Good luck!

Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:26 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thanks! I'll definitely think about that! Would you consider "Sarah" from The Civil War (written by Frank Wildhorn) to be a good audition choice for either Marius or Valjean? For Javert, I'd need to do a bit more thinking.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]