The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Audition advice for Peter in bare! 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Audition advice for Peter in bare!
Hi guys! First post here. I'm auditioning for Peter in bare: a Pop Opera (the original, not the reworked show!) and I'm not exactly sure what to sing.

Currently these are the three songs I've been looking at auditioning with:

Left Behind - Spring Awakening
    If I Didn't Believe In You - The Last Five Years
    Still Hurting - The Last Five Years

I know that Spring Awakening is still newish and kind of overdone, but Left Behind is an absolute spot-on song for Peter in my opinion. I have a feeling that it's used pretty often as an audition song for Peter though, so I'm hesitant to use it. I've also read to avoid JRB at all costs, but those two songs are my only other two I've found that would be similar to Peter. I would really appreciate any advice as to other options for songs! My old choir director suggested something from Once, but I haven't found anything in Once that I'm particularly fond of.

Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:23 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Audition advice for Peter in bare!
I would go with "Left Behind". In my experience, Spring Awakening isn't overdone at all and "Left Behind" is definitely lesser known than, say, "Mama Who Bore Me". And also, I've always been told to stay away from auditioning with Jason Robert Brown, so that's why I would discourage you from singing anything from Last 5 Years.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:54 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Apples2for10 wrote:
I would go with "Left Behind". In my experience, Spring Awakening isn't overdone at all and "Left Behind" is definitely lesser known than, say, "Mama Who Bore Me". And also, I've always been told to stay away from auditioning with Jason Robert Brown, so that's why I would discourage you from singing anything from Last 5 Years.

Ok, thanks. My only worry is that someone else will have the same idea and use Left Behind... in which case, I'm screwed. Maybe I can prep Left Behind, as well as one more song as a backup in case someone else does Left Behind.. hmm..

Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:20 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Don't stress about someone singing the same song as you - you can't do anything about that. It's always a possibility, no matter what you choose. Just prepare as best you can and if you rock it, who cares if someone else sings it too? :)

Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]