The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Explaining Your Unorthodox Audition Song Choice 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Explaining Your Unorthodox Audition Song Choice
I'm preparing to audition for Little Red in Into the Woods and have chosen a rather unorthodox song - Toby's part from "Not While I'm Around" from Sweeney Todd (they specifically asked for a Sondheim song). I chose this song because I wanted to show the vulnerability that Little Red shows towards the end of the show. This is her internal monologue. I feel confident that my monologue will show off the other aspects of her personality that are prominent through the first act.

When I talked through this with my voice teacher last night, she thought it was a good choice, but she recommended that I explain the reasoning while I'm introducing the song (like a 5-second elevator pitch). Not defensively or anything, but just a quick "I'm singing "Not While I'm Around" from Sweeney Todd to show the vulnerability that Little Red shows during Act II of the show."

While I think this is a good idea in theory, my concern is that I've always been told not to make excuses or unnecessary explanations during an audition. Additionally, I don't want to sound cocky or that I'm only interested in this one role - I would take pretty much any role in the show, I'm just aiming for Little Red.

Thoughts?

Thu May 29, 2014 11:07 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Explaining Your Unorthodox Audition Song Choice
Starlitsinger88 wrote:
While I think this is a good idea in theory, my concern is that I've always been told not to make excuses or unnecessary explanations during an audition.

I agree with this. Just go in and sell the song and you'll be fine. Now, if the director asks you later on why you chose that song, then I see no problem with explaining it.

"...Apples is probably the one who's posted the most relevant musical stuff long term in the past few months."- UniquePerspective

Sat May 31, 2014 7:09 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Sondheim Everything
Main Role: Performer
I agree. you shouldn't have to explain yourself. That's weird that you were suggested to do that. I always want to explain my choices, but it's a big no-no. If they want an explanation, they'll ask. I think thats a good song choice too!

Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:04 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Starlitsinger88 wrote:
When I talked through this with my voice teacher last night, she thought it was a good choice, but she recommended that I explain the reasoning while I'm introducing the song (like a 5-second elevator pitch). Not defensively or anything, but just a quick "I'm singing "Not While I'm Around" from Sweeney Todd to show the vulnerability that Little Red shows during Act II of the show."

While I think this is a good idea in theory, my concern is that I've always been told not to make excuses or unnecessary explanations during an audition. Additionally, I don't want to sound cocky or that I'm only interested in this one role - I would take pretty much any role in the show, I'm just aiming for Little Red.

Well, you know the rule of theater and of storytelling in general: SHOW, don't TELL. You should be able to SHOW them that you're being vulnerable. If you do, you don't need to TELL them, and if you don't, then TELLING them that was what you were aiming for could backfire.

Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]