The dreaded phone call 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Smash, Jekyll & Hyde, The Phantom of the Opera
Main Role: Performer
Post The dreaded phone call
A friend asked me this and I honestly don't know the answer

"If you don't get into a show can you ask them why? What do I need to improve?"

I'm thinking if it's a smaller company then sure go ahead but if it's a bigger company they're probably too busy calling the 200+ auditionees back to have time to answer or even remember your specific levels.

What does everyone else think?

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Re: The dreaded phone call
Can't hurt to ask, unless they have specifically stated that they will not be providing feedback. Most times (in my experience, at least) you'll get an email advising that you weren't cast, so you could respond with something like this:

Dear <whoever>,

Thank you for advising me of the outcome of the audition. While I'm disappointed to miss out on being part of this show, I'd like to wish the cast and crew all the best for the run and look forward to seeing the performance!

I know I'm not in a position to ask for favours, but if you have the time I would love to get some feedback from you regarding any areas of weakness that you noticed during my audition. Any feedback you provide would be most helpful for me when preparing for future auditions with <company>.

Then leave it at that. They may or may not respond (particularly if it's a bigger company) but if you word the response politely, you've done all you can. Don't follow up if they don't respond, and if they do respond make sure you say thanks. They are doing you a huge favour.

If they phone, I wouldn't ask for feedback. It puts them on the spot and the unsuccessful phone calls are hard enough as it is.

Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]