The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Beauty and the Beast Audition song selection help please. 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Smash, Jekyll & Hyde, The Phantom of the Opera
Main Role: Performer
Post Beauty and the Beast Audition song selection help please.
I have an audition for Beauty at the Beast Musical in a couple of weeks with a pro am company. They've requested we sing anything disney for the audition but it is only to be 16 bars long.

We don't get to say who we are auditioning for, they will assume we are going for everyone and put us in the role they think best for their production.
I am wanting to get Belle but would be happy with ensemble as I've been on a break from shows and I miss doing them.

I was thinking of doing Home sung by Belle in this show. I know it is usually recommended that you don't sing something from the show but 16 bars is such a short time to show case vocal ability and emotion and the ending of home has a good mix of strong and sweet at the end that will fit into 16 bars.
All other disney songs I've thought of are either too over done and will be popular or doesn't have much in the way of showcasing anything in 16 bars so I was just wanting people's opinion on whether or not I should stick with Home or if there's anything else out there that might be better which can do what I need in 16 bars!!

My original thought process was 'When She Loved Me' - great emotion but not much vocal show casing
Then of course I went through the usual Part Of Your World, Colours of the Wind etc
Riverbend - good song but it is awkward to find a 16 bar part to do and I found it difficult to stage it for an audition since you can't move freely on stage since you're without a mic and need to project to the production team.
I then toyed with If I Can't Love Her - Beauty and the Beast - but even though as a whole song it has great development there's no 16 bar section that can show it.
So then I ended on Home which has everything I need EXCEPT IT'S FROM THE SHOW.

So thoughts, opinions, advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys!

Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:04 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Beauty and the Beast Audition song selection help please
Dear FelicityWishes,

I think that if the company said that you could sing "anything Disney", you should be okay, with regards to your decision to sing "Home".

I LOVE that song, and, besides, the ENTIRE song is emotional, so that you shouldn't have any problem choosing 16 bars...

I hope that you're chosen to play the role of Belle, but I hope that you'll have fun, no matter WHICH role you are given. Good luck!

Thanks in advance for your reply.
8-)

OPINION: Mitt Romney is "that wicked plastic man!"

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:57 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Smash, Jekyll & Hyde, The Phantom of the Opera
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Beauty and the Beast Audition song selection help please
The Duchess of Mint,

Thank you so much for your quick response!

It is so good to have affirmation of my thoughts it has given me renewed confidence in my audition (even though I am currently sick but I'll nip that in the bud in a week hopefully!)

Thank you so much you are absolutely lovely!

Have a great day!

Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:43 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]