The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Drama school auditions help!!! Urgent!!! 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Drama school auditions help!!! Urgent!!!
Hi!! I have drama school auditions very soon and I'm very confused about choosing my pieces!!
I have to do 2-3 contrasting pieces from the musical theatre repertoire. I'm a soprano and I can go up to a C but I can also mix a little. They can't be over 3 minutes, unless I cut them... but I'm confused, how to I cut a song? Should I bring the sheet music to the accompanist and tell him to skip parts? How do you mark music for the accompanist?!
I'm already considering these (btw one needs to be pre-1965, one post-1965 and a third "something I enjoy singing"):
    Till There Was You - The Music Man (suits my voice, but acting-wise it's hard to perform without a partner to sing it to)
    Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again - The Phantom of the Opera (it suits me both acting and singing-wise but I worry if it's gonna be too overdone)
    Unexpected Song - Song and Dance (I feel it might be awkward if not sang to someone specifically, like Till there was you)
    In My Life (or I Saw Him Once) from Les Miserables (Is In My Life too short?)

Please don't suggest "Green Finch" from Sweeney Todd! I've heard that every soprano does it and I don't feel it can help me express a lot of personality and emotion... I can do more contemporary stuff, as well, and I am very well suited for Disney stuff, like Frozen, Tangled, The Little Mermaid, etc. Would doing Disney at a drama school audition wreck my chances?

Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:07 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Les Mis, Wicked, Scarlet Pimpernel
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Drama school auditions help!!! Urgent!!!
I like the idea of Unexpected Song; that's a lesser known one, so it won't be overdone. As far as it being "weird without a partner," just think of those songs as a monologue. Imagine you're alone in your room thinking about the person you love, and just expressing your thoughts aloud. Look out over the auditioner's heads as if you're imagining that person there, and your acting will follow.

Now since they said they wanted some contrasting ones, you should look at some different genres for variety, too. So maybe have the "lovesick soprano" ballad like the ones you listed, then add a more uptempo contemporary pop sound (maybe something from Legally Blonde, Rent, Wicked, Little Shop of Horrors, Seussical, etc. Yes, they're overdone, but you can also find something else that has the same type of feel). You want something that shows personality and is as far from the ballad as possible. For your third choice, you can do whatever you want, so enjoy it and pick something you can blow them away with.

For short pieces, it's generally best to pick the most impressive part of the song, so look at the music and find an area where you can naturally build up to the climax of the song. For example, if there's two verses, then a big chorus, start at the beginning of the second verse. You want the whole thing to be about 32 measures or less. If you're not good at reading music, find someone who is that can help you mark where to start and end. You don't want to force the pianist to skip parts, that's too hard to do on the fly, unless you actually transcribe the music that way. Good luck!

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]