The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
What to put in "Training" area of actor's resume? 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Les Mis, Wicked, Scarlet Pimpernel
Main Role: Performer
Post What to put in "Training" area of actor's resume?
Hi all! I'm updating my actor's resume for an upcoming audition and need a little advice.

I have a lot of performing experience in Regional theatre, and professional work as a voice actress in commercials and video games. I have been in choir and theatre classes since elementary school, up through high school and one or two courses in college. So I definitely have the ability to perform at a professional level, but when I compare my resume to other actor's resumes that I see online, there's one glaring area missing....the training part.

Basically, all my training has come from being in productions themselves. I've never actually taken professional vocal lessons or workshops outside of online videos, etc. because theatre is my hobby, not my career. And I don't think it's wise to list my early school ones. So what should I do in this case? Is it better to leave that section out and fill up the resume page simply with my work and special skills and let that speak for itself? But I also don't want it to appear that I've had zero coaching...while it isn't a pro workshop, I got a lot of coaching and training all up through high school in singing and acting. Is there a way to word things to show that I have had training, but not make it look totally amateurish?

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:08 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Smash, Jekyll & Hyde, The Phantom of the Opera
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: What to put in "Training" area of actor's resume?
I would say don't include it on yours - if you do all you have to say is 'no formal training' which is something I'd personally would rather avoid.
You want it be a positive representation of your skills and highlight your experience rather than point out where you're light.

They'll see from your other experiences and assume you've gathered knowledge from them and see you audition.

So I say nix it :)

Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:25 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]