I Dreamed a Dream 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Les Mis...sing Eponine or Fantine? 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Les Mis, Wicked, Scarlet Pimpernel
Main Role: Performer
Post Les Mis...sing Eponine or Fantine?
So I auditioned about a year ago for a local Les Mis (sang "A New Life" from Jekyll and Hyde) and got callbacks for Fantine, Eponine, Cosette, and M. Thenardier (weird range, yes I know. Guess they didn't know what to do with me!). And then the company cancelled it before callbacks due to budget. Sigh.

Now I just found out another place is doing the full adult version (yay!), and will be holding auditions soon. It's my second chance! The catch is, they are requiring that we sing a piece from the show to audition this time. So what the heck do I go with?

I'd love to play Eponine, she's always been my dream role. But...I'm 28 and 5'11." While my voice fits her perfectly (very Disney princess-tone, young sounding), I'm afraid my height lets me out. I know "On My Own" like the back of my hand and can confidently belt it out at auditions. So Fantine is probably a better fit, with the height and for my age. I'm not as confident with "I Dreamed a Dream" yet, but I have about a month to practice.

It will be really tough competition at this place. What would you do? Go with the one you know you can do well with even though the part is not likely, or go with the one that matches the casting trends that you might have a better shot with? Which is a wiser choice when hoping to be cast as anything?

It's frustrating when you have to pick a song from the show; it kind of pigeonholes you into one character when you'd like to be considered for multiple roles....

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]