The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
uptempo or ballad? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post uptempo or ballad?
I will be auditioning for a musical theatre college program in a year or two. I'm a baritone, my highest note is the F above middle C. I am also transgender, meaning I started with a female voice, and in my 20's I started taking testosterone, effectively dropping my voice, but the transition was difficult on my voice. I completely lost control of my voice at first, would try to hit a note and a completely different note would come out. I guess because my voice was dropping, the placement of the notes kept changing. Is this a problem boys face in puberty?

In any case, it's been three years since I started hormones and will be a couple more before I audition and I'm hoping to somehow afford lessons between then - my female voice was very trained, and some of that transfers over but I still need a lot of work.

Anyway, for the audition I'll need an uptempo and a ballad, and I'm wondering if Halloween from RENT is an uptempo or a ballad?

I want to use it because it really suits my voice, and if it's a ballad I'm thinking of using It's A Fish from The Apple Tree or maybe a cut from The Devil You Know from Side Show for my uptempo, and if it's an uptempo I'm thinking of using If I Sing from Closer Than Ever as my ballad, but I'm looking for another option, as I'm worried If I Sing is a little boring.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:38 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Post Re: uptempo or ballad?
I'm not sureā€¦ I think Halloween would qualify as a ballad.

I wouldn't worry about "If I Sing" being boring. Just remember to pick a song you think shows you off the best. If you can nail that song, then by all means do it.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:30 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: uptempo or ballad?
I'm not sure which songs show my voice off the best yet. I know what worked for me as a female, but not so much as a male. I picked If I Sing because it seemed to fit into my range. I don't really know whether I like it in my voice yet.

Would it be a bad idea to gender-bend a song like Meadowlark for the audition? This is how it sounds in my voice with no rehearsal: https://soundcloud.com/rex1983/meadowla ... he-musical

Keep in mind my voice has come really far since I transitioned from female to male, so this is immense progress, but I know I still have a long way to go. Things like the octave jump from E to high E (the lyrics "my past" at the end) and even some of the lower high notes come out really tight in my throat. I'm working on opening up my higher range. What's ironic is that the song has some E's but I have trouble with the B's at the end ("my beautiful young GIRL and I")

I still have a year or two to work on this, so it will get better.

Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]