The Resource For Musicals



Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum


Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
male Chicago audition help 
Author Message
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:31 am
Posts: 94
Post male Chicago audition help
Hey,


Just a few simple questions, with a explanation for most of them:


1.I'm auditioning for Chicago next week (at my HS), going for Billy, with Amos as me second choice. i HAVE to sing a song from the show. Which of his songs should I sing?


I'm technically a bass, although I've been told i'm everything from that to a tennor (and comfortably have played multiple female parts (mostly in Suessical practices, that's another story however), thanks to an award winning falsetto, which IDK applies), though all of this is nearly impossible, would it effect my song choice? (I can comfortably hold the note on the end of any of Billy's 3 songs for at least 5 seconds, and top them all by at least a quarter octave). All of his 3 songs have good show-odd parts at the end, but I have to start at the beginning. If I had a choice, IMO, I'd sing something a lot more out there, most likely something from Rock Of Ages, my directors, music director's, and producer's favorite show, which they said has "apparent" parallels to Chicago, which is total BS..... Doesn't fit show at all however, but instead maybe one of Fagin's songs from Oliver? Or go really out there, and possibly ruin my chances, but impress them? (they've said before that if I can surprise them, to do it, which contradicts their normal statements...) if, I had to choose between the three normal songs which one? (I'm leaning to "All I care about", but "Razzle dazzle" is a bit of a good one too)


2. I've got the OBC, revival, and London albums, and no idea which to draw inspiration from. Which? Or should I be going to listen to HS versions on YT?


I know people say listen to Jerry, as he's almost unanimously know as the best Billy, but should I just listen to him? Or put in the guys from revival and London as a bit of contrast? What should I take away from each of them? I know very few people will listen to the albums, most will be content to watch the movie, which leads me to the next question:


3. Should I be worried we're gonna copy the movie?


My school has a history of copying the "in" production of a show we're doing. Whether that be the OBC cast of Seussical (although that didn't turn out the way we exactly wanted), or the revival of HTS, we have a long history. Given that my director owns 3 copies of the movie, and 5 copies of the soundtrack, I'm concerned. She told everyone to go watch the movie too! Literally the best people are only watching the movie. , even though I told them to listen to the albums, which they all refused to. So, I'm afraid.


4. Is it a catastrophe in the making?


There's 5 guys this year. 1 has already decided not to audition. That leaves 4, to do the whole show's guys. And, as ell, there's a hell of a lot more then 4 guys! That's one problem. People often show up hours late, or not at all, only to find they missed their scenes, and then leave. They often don't even bother to learn their bloody lines either. Or blocking, or when to be here, or what ever actually needs to be done! I'm also kinda afraid that she might just give the parts away to her "peeps" which she has done in the past, leaving the rest of us to pick up the pieces. Last year, I played every part in practices, (mostly dress rehearsals)around 5 times or so! Should I be prepared to do that again? Never mind, should I be prepared to wait weeks for them to get to my scenes, if i get cast? Or should I put those thoughts behind me?



5. What's the best song for me to sing that's NOT from the show?


Assuming I can indeed sing a song from a show outside the show, what should I sing, knowing what I've said? Should I go for a director team favorite (anything from ROA, RENT, or Les Mis)? Or choose something that shows off my vocal talents? (personalty I can't always hit those high and notes, but when I can (2/3 times) it brings down the house). Should I take the risk? Or choose something that fits the character, and if so what?

Thanks!
comped


Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:31 am
Profile
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:28 am
Posts: 2
Current Obsession: Guys & Dolls, Legally Blonde, Anything Goes
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: male Chicago audition help
I think the best song for you to sing would be Razzle Dazzle; I think it shows Billy's personality the best. If your school has a history of doing shows just like the movie, you should probably be listening mostly to the movie soundtrack. That's probably what the directors are listening to. Take time to listen to all of them to see similarities and differences. I wouldn't say be worried if your school is going to copy the movie, because Chicago is really theatrically done in the movie. It's one of my favorite movie versions of a musical. I don't think it's a catastrophe in the making, but I don't know how good your school's theatre program is. It sounds like there's a lot of drama involved, (LOL PUN.), but you need to make the directors see that you're more professional than other people auditioning. I don't really have much advice to give you on what song to sing that isn't from the show, but Reviewing The Situation from Oliver might be a good choice. Whatever you do, DO NOT SING ANYTHING FROM LES MIS. I was in a show about a month ago, and at auditions, I heard like 3 guys sing Javert's Suicide and 4 girls sing I Dreamed A Dream. I know that a lot of directors, that I have worked with anyways, prefer not to hear Les Mis many times in an audition, and I'm sure someone else auditioning will sing something from that show. Also, a lot of people that don't know much about theatre will sing something from Les Mis because it's all they're really familiar with. And Les Mis doesn't really have any characters that are similar to Billy Flynn or Amos. Good luck, and make sure to post a response to let me know how it goes!


Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:05 pm
Profile
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:31 am
Posts: 94
Post Re: male Chicago audition help
katherineloose wrote:
I think the best song for you to sing would be Razzle Dazzle; I think it shows Billy's personality the best.


I decided the same. Plus I'm learnign to juggle (there's a rather good clip of Jerry doing the same (while singing the same song) on some old talk show, up on youtube somewhere.)


katherineloose wrote:
If your school has a history of doing shows just like the movie, you should probably be listening mostly to the movie soundtrack. That's probably what the directors are listening to. Take time to listen to all of them to see similarities and differences.


I've been told "thematically and stylelistically" it will be nearly the same as the movie, but that, according to one of them, the singing will be most likely based off the OBC. Which is perfect for me.

katherineloose wrote:
I wouldn't say be worried if your school is going to copy the movie, because Chicago is really theatrically done in the movie. It's one of my favorite movie versions of a musical. I don't think it's a catastrophe in the making, but I don't know how good your school's theatre program is. It sounds like there's a lot of drama involved, (LOL PUN.), but you need to make the directors see that you're more professional than other people auditioning.


There's a crap ton of drama. Seniority is king, and if you're out director's pet, you'll get a lead regardless of talent. I know the music director and producer from other shows (the music director's especially a big fan of mine, and pretty good friend), and the music director's outright told me that I deserve Billy, same with our crew captain, my current history teacher. But, then there's the producer's wife, and the director who are both batshit insane, and want to do as little work themselves as possible, while keeping us at school till 1am for not getting it "right" enough times, with important tests the next day, and want to take all the credit themselves.

katherineloose wrote:
I don't really have much advice to give you on what song to sing that isn't from the show, but Reviewing The Situation from Oliver might be a good choice. Whatever you do, DO NOT SING ANYTHING FROM LES MIS. I was in a show about a month ago, and at auditions, I heard like 3 guys sing Javert's Suicide and 4 girls sing I Dreamed A Dream. I know that a lot of directors, that I have worked with anyways, prefer not to hear Les Mis many times in an audition, and I'm sure someone else auditioning will sing something from that show. Also, a lot of people that don't know much about theatre will sing something from Les Mis because it's all they're really familiar with. And Les Mis doesn't really have any characters that are similar to Billy Flynn or Amos. Good luck, and make sure to post a response to let me know how it goes!


That's my backup song, just in case they want to hear something that's not from the show. (at least it's better then having to sing something from ROA). I'll keep you informed. The auditions are on the 16th-18th, with the meeting on the 9th to go over everything. :)


Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:00 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ] 



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.