The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Auditioning with an accent 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: Les Mis, Alfie Boe
Post Auditioning with an accent
I'm auditioning for Oklahoma and am trying to find a good monologue. I would like to go for Laurey. Do you think it's a good idea to pick a monologue with an accent or do something else? Does anyone have any suggestions for any monologues with an accent similar to the one in this show? Or just a good monologue choice for Laurey?

I was thinking about doing this one from Neil Simon's The Star Spangled Girl:

Sophie: Mr. Cornell, I have tried to be neighborly, I have tried to be friendly, and I have tried to be cordial. And I don't know what it is that you're trying to be. The first night, I was very appreciative that you carried my trunk up the stairs...the fact that it slipped and fell five flights and smashed into a million pieces was not your fault. And I didn't even mind the personal message you painted on the stairs. I thought it was crazy...but sorta sweet.
However, things have gone too far! I cannot accept gifts from a man I hardly know! Especially canned goods! And I read your little note...I can guess the gist of it, even though I don't speak Italian. This has got to stop, Mr. Cornell! I can do very well without you leaving me little chocolate almond Hershey bars in my mailbox. They melted yesterday, and I got three gooey letters from home with nuts in them! And I can do well without you sneaking in my room after I go to work, and painting my balcony, without even telling me about it! I walked out there yesterday and my slippers are still stuck to the floor! And I can do well without you tying big bottles of eau de cologne to my cat's tail! The poor thing kept swishin' it yesterday, it nearly beat himself to death!
And most importantly, I can certainly do without you watching me get on the bus everyday through your high powered telescope! You got me so nervous the other day, I got on the wrong bus! In short, Mr. Cornell, and I do NOT want to have to say this again...Leave me ALONE!

Past Roles:
Marian Paroo-"The Music Man"
Nellie Forbush- "South Pacific"
Hope Harcourt- "Anything Goes"
Laurey Williams- "Oklahoma!"

Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:45 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Post Re: Auditioning with an accent
Where is this being produced? Southern accents are notoriously botched by most actors in most areas outside the South. If the casting directors know what "real" Southern sounds like, doing a fakey accent could come across as caricaturish; OTOH if you actually are Southern, take advantage of that and use a gentle Southern accent but don't overdo it like you think you're Dolly Parton. Unfortunately most actors find it VERY hard to do Southern without going over the line into hillbilly.

Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:23 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Stage Manager
Post Re: Auditioning with an accent
Generally speaking, it's best to only do an accent if it's asked for in the audition notice. There are many variations of a "southern" accent (i.e. people from Texas have a different accent than people from Georgia), so unless they're asking for it, it's probably better to use your normal accent. Accents can always be listed on your resume as special skills if you feel you have a really strong southern accent that you'd like them to know about.

Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]