The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Les Mis Audition Monologue 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Les Mis Audition Monologue
I'm participating in a summer theater program that is doing Les Mis, and as a part of my audition, I need a 1-2 minute monologue. I'm looking to land the role of either Javert or Enjolras (I'm a baritone with a pretty solid high F/mostly solid high G). Would anyone be able to offer some monologue suggestions, or at the very least what I should be looking for in a monologue for either character? Thank you!

Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:46 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Phantom, Les Mis, Fiddler on the Roof
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Les Mis Audition Monologue
I know this will sound obvious, but I would look at famous monologues from old plays, like Shakespeare. They've got a lot of passion and eloquent speeches that are often in rhyming form, like Les Miserables. For those two characters, I would not choose any monologue having to do with love, as neither of these characters have the least bit of interest in it (unless it's love of justice or love for the fatherland.) For Javert, there are two options on what point in his character development you want to portray in your audition: rigid and certain in his ways, or broken and unsure, like how he is at the end during his soliloquoy. The monologue for him should reflect one or the other. However, if you're auditioning for both, I would choose the monologue with more conviction, as Enjolras is never broken, like Javert is at the end, and goes down still defiant and passionate to his cause. Enjolras and Javert are two of my favorite characters in musical theatre. Good luck with your audition!

This is a whole database of men's monologues:

http://www.shakespeare-monologues.org/men/

Past: Irene Molloy (Hello, Dolly!), Chava (Fiddler on the Roof), Strawberry Seller (Oliver!), Chorus (Annie)

Dream roles: Christine (The Phantom of the Opera), Eponine (Les Miserables), any Disney leading lady

Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:42 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I have to say, it's a pet peeve of my when auditions require something that's not really relevant to the production. Makes you wonder if the directors really understand what they're doing, or if they're blindly following some procedure.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:25 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Phantom, Les Mis, Fiddler on the Roof
Rorgg wrote:
I have to say, it's a pet peeve of my when auditions require something that's not really relevant to the production. Makes you wonder if the directors really understand what they're doing, or if they're blindly following some procedure.

I agree with you. Why do they have to prepare a monologue when the whole production is sung through? You would think they would just have them prepare a solo on their own, then sing some lines from the show.

Past: Irene Molloy (Hello, Dolly!), Chava (Fiddler on the Roof), Strawberry Seller (Oliver!), Chorus (Annie)

Dream roles: Christine (The Phantom of the Opera), Eponine (Les Miserables), any Disney leading lady

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:01 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

The one that comes to mind is going in to audition for The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee and going through a lengthy improv session. I'd already done Bee twice in very successful productions -- as Panch and Barfée, and while I did find a couple moments to inject some ad libs as Panch (while interacting with the audience), they certainly weren't necessary to the production. Frankly, the "kid" characters can just can a couple lines of small talk with the volunteers, pretty much nothing needs to be "improved" -- it just LOOKS that way to the audience.

Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:02 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thank you all, I ended up not needing a monologue (which makes sense), and I was cast in the ensemble. The show went fantastically, and I feel that being in the ensemble really helped me develop my acting chops. Thanks again!

Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]