The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Male Audition Song---Children of Eden 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Main Role: Musician
Post Male Audition Song---Children of Eden
I'm going to be auditioning for Children of Eden in a few weeks, and I honestly have no idea about what kinds of shows to look to for an audition song that would match up a bit with the music from COE... any suggestions? Any song suggestions? I am a baritone, from low G - high G as a range (2 Octaves)

Thanks!

Past Roles:
Inspector Javert (Les Miserables), Lloyd Dallas (Noises Off), Mendel (Fiddler on the Roof), VMC (A Piece of My Heart), Ham (Children of Eden), Matthew Hudlocke (The Marriage of Bette and Boo)

Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:57 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: changes way too much
Main Role: Stage Manager
Post Re: Male Audition Song---Children of Eden
A good rule of thumb is to first look in other shows by the same composer for audition songs. The composer of Children of Eden is Stephen Schwartz. I would eliminate Wicked from your consideration, as it's still too big and likely to be overused (not as much for males, but still...), and eliminate anything of his the company has done recently. If you don't find anything else Schwartz that you think would work, then start looking at similar characters to the one(s) you are auditioning for, and try to find something with a similar style of music.

I auditioned for this a couple of days ago (aiming for Yonah) and used "Easy as Life" from Aida (which isn't Schwartz, but does work for Yonah). I had considered "I Guess I'll Miss the Man" from Pippin, but just couldn't get into it enough to feel that I'd be able to wow them with it. If you know what character(s) you're looking at, I'd be willing to help you look for songs, but I'll warn you ahead of time that I don't know male songs nearly as well as female ones.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:10 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Re: Male Audition Song---Children of Eden
Her Voice- Little Mermaid. Fits your criteria and it shows off a pure voice which Stephen and Menken use quite a bit (they are very similar in a lot of ways)

Mon May 09, 2011 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]