The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Chances of a professional role? 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Chances of a professional role?
I have been told that I could start looking for auditions for professional west-end roles, but even if I am good enough I don't think I stand much of a chance.

The thing is, I'm a 168cm (nearly 5'7") tall 14 year-old. I know that there are lots of difficulties in working with children because of licensing rules, and also that I've got my GCSEs and then A-levels coming up. And I also know that if companies can use adults then they usually do so that they don't have to worry about double-casting and chaperoning etc.
I can dance well, sing well and act very well (I know it sounds like I'm boasting but I want you to have an accurate description of me)

Realistically, what are the chances of me landing a west-end role before I leave school (assuming I'm good enough and that I have an agent who is told about the audition?). Because I think I'm too tall to be considered for any roles.

And if you do think I have a chance in any particular show than please could you tell me what the title of the show is as well?

Ygraine in Pendragon
Mrs O''Lafferty in Ragged Child

Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:31 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I don't know much about West End, so I don't really have any advice to offer, except this:

Have you been in any semi-pro productions? I think that professional companies would be looking for children who are more experienced and able to interact with older people they have to work with. Just my two cents.

Also, I don't think you're that tall. I've seen plenty of 14-year-olds here in Vancouver, Canada who are taller than you. :)

Good luck!

EDIT: I just remembered an older post of yours I read. I can't recall the exact notes, but I seem to remember you have a very wide range? I suppose that would be an advantage when you're going for professional roles.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:50 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I have been in lots of youth productions and a couple of semi-pro, although my local semi-professional company is completely ruled by favouritism :evil:

However I'm looking for other companies outside my county in the hopes that I'll find a better one that will give me a realistic impression of my abilities outside the high school/ youth company setting.

I suppose I'm not Extremely tall, but probably still taller than most casting directors would put on a stage to play children :) A girl in my year recently got cast as Jane in the west end production of May Poppins but she is only 4'9" and I'm waay too tall to play Jane :D

I do have quite a wide range, but I don't like to push the extreme notes because I'm worried about damaging my voice. However I'm hoping it will be an advantage when I'm older and my voice has finished developing.

Thanks for your help :)

Ygraine in Pendragon

Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:07 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Other...
My guess is it depends on the show. Probably for shows that have more youth as in teen roles are more likely than shows that have mainly adults, because I think in more professional theatre, they cast close to the age, unless the person looks the age. I have a friend who can pull of being older and he has been in high level community shows and such ... but it's more how he looks.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:09 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I think I'm going to put my dreams of performing professionally on the shelf for a few years so that I can finish school and get a good degree, maybe get my name known by directors/casting directors and such, and then when I'm older my height won't be so much of a barrier because at the moment I look at least 17.

Ah well...

Thanks anyway :)

Ygraine in Pendragon

Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]