Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Sweeney Todd Audition 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Post Sweeney Todd Audition
I originally posted this in the audition song thread:

LaurelDP wrote:
Auditioning for Sweeney Todd. They want us to prepare a 1 minute Sondheim song, and we can sing from Sweeney, though I'm not sure I want to.

I suppose I'm auditioning for Lovett, even though I'm dreadfully young, but they don't need to know my age.

They are also not casting an ensemble, and are giving the role of Fogg to a woman, so I suppose I'm going for that, as well.

Any suggestions? At all?

People suggested perhaps looking at the Witch in ITW, but I feel like every middle aged woman vying for a part will be singing that.

Any other suggestions?

What about Dirty Old Man from ...Forum? I know its the wrong mood, but I'm just trying to think of characters in the right age range.
Also, I imagine a lot of people will be pouring their souls out in intense Sondheim ballad. So maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing to show some humor.

I am open to all suggestions!

Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:30 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
If you want to go for the humor angle, or perhaps Mrs. Lovett's adoration/devotion to Sweeney angle, I'd look at Gyspy (Mama Rose) or SitPwG (Dot). BUT doing one of the Witch's songs from ItW is also a valid idea.

Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:00 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

If you want to go for the humor angle, or perhaps Mrs. Lovett's adoration/devotion to Sweeney angle, I'd look at Gyspy (Mama Rose) or SitPwG (Dot). BUT doing one of the Witch's songs from ItW is also a valid idea.

I'm more of a pit orchestra person, so I may not be the best person to suggest audition songs, but I'm going to try anyway. If you want to do ITW, maybe you could do "Stay With Me." It's sort of a soothing, yet extremely manipulative song that sort of gels with Lovett's character.

Or, as Kaiti said, the Lovett/Todd dynamic in Sweeney is similar to the Dot/George dynamic in SITPWG, in the sense that the man in both relationships is so focused on one thing (revenge, art) that he is unable to return the romantic affections of the woman to the extent that she wants. If you want to go with the humor angle, you could use "Everybody Loves Louis," which also has some serious moments. I've never actually seen SITPWG live, so a more knowledgeable person can correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always gotten the sense that at the beginning, Dot's motives were purely to make George jealous, whereas by the end of the song (after she has realized her bitterness toward George and her need for devoted companionship, even if not with the man she really loves), they have become far more serious as she is eventually won over by her own arguments. I love these lines:

And there are Louis (however you spell plural of sg. Louis)
And there are Georges
Well, Louis and George
But George has George
And I need someone... Louis!

Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:41 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

You might also look at one of Cora's songs from Anyone Can Whistle.

Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:06 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Yes! I totally concur with doing something from "Anyone Can Whistle".

Look at:

"Me and My Town"

"There's a Parade in Town"

"I've Got You to Lean On"

I would avoid The Witch from ITW. It does seem like the obvious choice.

Dot is not a bad idea but I am loving the Cora parallel much more (especially since Angela Lansbury played Cora and Lovette).

Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]