The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
"It's A Wonderful Life" auditions for the musical 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post "It's A Wonderful Life" auditions for the musical
Hi, everyone,
I will be auditioning at a community theatre for the musical version of the Christmas classic, "It's A Wonderful Life" in a month, and I'm trying to prepare for it. :D

I would love to play either Mary or Violet, but I'm especially hoping for Mary. I want to audition with a song that would be applicable to both characters, however, because I would like to be considered for Violet if I'm not cast as Mary.

Anyway! My problem is, Mary and Violet are opposite characters (Mary = "girl next door" type, and Violet = complete flirt), and it would be difficult to sing something that would work for both of them.
Plus, although I don't know the voice ranges of the two characters, I do know that Mary's songs are in a legit and more classical style, while Violet would have more of a belty, flirty sound. (I am comfortable with both styles, so that's not a problem.)

In a situation like this, is it permissible to maybe "mix" two songs together? In a way that would make sense, I mean, but that would show those contrasting styles? I have no idea if this would be OK, and I would really appreciate any advice you can offer!

Thanks so much!
Rebecca :)

Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]