The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
That DARN belting range... 
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Post That DARN belting range...
Hello MdN!!

Long time, no see! I have missed you. I moved to a larger city about two years ago, leaving behind my Musical Theatre ambitions for a while. Instead I was singing in an a cappella group. As that has recently ended, I am looking for a new singing gig.

Lo and behold, a local company is doing Rent. I want to audition, but my belting range isn't good enough for any of the roles.

Aside from a good song, I need to know what I can do to get my belting range into shape. I can barely hit B flats, and it sounds completely terrible when I switch to my head voice.

Thanks in advance!
-Bean

Future: Spring Awakening?

Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:35 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I dont know if this is any help and some people might even say not to do this as it might cause strain on your voice so if thats the case ignore me lol

but originally I could only reach a C belting and that was at a push - so i started singing songs that were not in my range - practising them in headvoice to warm my throat up an then just going for it - i practised as much as I could and was able to get a C#/D easily...

Then when I got my recall for Spring awakening - I had to belt an E for the harmony in my junk "Stop all snow blind" So i literally spent every minute of the two weeks I had to prepare going for it as much as I could until I manage to get it - once I got it i then kept doing it so it didn't sound so "shouty"

So thats my advice really... Just keep practising songs that are slightly out of your range and really thow your whole-self into the note....

Hopefully that helps but Like i say it might strain your voice - i was lucky in that i didn't for mine - but i know different voices have different strengths :)

Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:06 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Hi :)

I dont know if this is any help and some people might even say not to do this as it might cause strain on your voice so if thats the case ignore me lol

but originally I could only reach a C belting and that was at a push - so i started singing songs that were not in my range - practising them in headvoice to warm my throat up an then just going for it - i practised as much as I could and was able to get a C#/D easily...

Then when I got my recall for Spring awakening - I had to belt an E for the harmony in my junk "Stop all snow blind" So i literally spent every minute of the two weeks I had to prepare going for it as much as I could until I manage to get it - once I got it i then kept doing it so it didn't sound so "shouty"

So thats my advice really... Just keep practising songs that are slightly out of your range and really thow your whole-self into the note....

Hopefully that helps but Like i say it might strain your voice - i was lucky in that i didn't for mine - but i know different voices have different strengths :)

That's exactly what I did for a role (I, like vanillabean, usually can't even sing a B-flat in chest voice) once (when performance time came, I was able to belt the C that I needed to). I also don't know if it might strain/damage your voice in any way.

Make sure you're supporting your voice properly. Do you have a singing teacher? I don't, but the musical director in the play I was in put her cellphone on my head to keep me from raising it, and fixed the many other problems I had.

Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:51 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I think there also just comes a point where you have to know your limits and learn how to work with them. I have tried for years to extend my belting range past B and I can only hit a C on a good day. However, I have worked with my voice teacher on a more seamless transition to head voice. A good transition is your insurance. Because sometimes you don't know when you are going to have a good day. If it sounds "terrible" when you switch to head voice then that should be something you work on before you try to be able to belt everything-- because it will also sound terrible if your belt cracks up there!

Try to work on keeping the same volume and support once you hit your break note. Consistency is the key-- if the quality of vibrato, volume, etc is the same on that break note, it's less noticeable.

Secret Garden-- Martha
I Remember Mama-- Katrin
Taming of the Shrew-- Katherine

Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:51 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Thing is, the higher I extend my break, the better it will sound.
My high notes are crystal clear and strong, but below a D-ish they take on a falsetto quality (light and breathy).

I used to have a voice teacher, but even she was baffled by my break.

Also, I tried singing my way through Over The Moon last night (that is the audition song they provided for Maureen) and I can hit everything but the E flat. Same for Take Me or Leave Me.

However, I am thinking I am just gonna keep singing it through to a) commit the words to memory and b) to keep those notes strong. When I come to the E flat, I can swap to head voice a la Idina.

Future: Spring Awakening?

Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]