The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1897 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 159  Next
The College Thread 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

What are everyone's thoughts on Emerson?

I really like Emerson and the general structure of the program. I also like how it is in Boston and if some of the training isn't as intense as I would like I can find a personal trainer or dance company in the city.

Emerson is one of my top choices.. does anyone have any significant negative aspects about Emerson?
I really want to go to Emerson too. In addition to the above, how is the theatre "scene" in Boston? Is there a lot of porfessional, regional, and community theatre?

Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:47 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

That's GREAT information.

Aw, thanks :] I'll update it when I have info on more schools, too.

Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:08 pm

"Roosevelt University - In the heart of Chicago/theatre district. Take 20-25 people generally. Don't have to take math, but do take English. Conservatory program. $14k"

I kinda feel like a bit of an idiot for not going there! I had a full scholarship in their musical theatre program...I didn't realize they were so exclusive! LOL!

But seriously, I wouldn't have traded my NY training for anything! :)

I really loved AMDA once upon a time when I went there! Not sure what it's like now, but it was GREAT when I went! :)

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:14 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

jazzy, I might be a little bit off in timing here, but did you happen to attend AMDA with a Canadian girl named Michelle? She would have transfered from Queens. (I don't want to post her last name on the interwebz without permission.)

Check out my blog: http://moneycostssomedreams.blogspot.com

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:32 pm
Profile WWW

I don't think so...but then again, I graduated a few (as in more than 5) years ago...

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:45 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

She's going to her 10 year reunion this year and I don't know if she took any time off before going to Queens... she may have graduated before you got there then.

Oh well. It would have been kind of neat.

Check out my blog: http://moneycostssomedreams.blogspot.com

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:48 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

jazzy - Did you go to school with Chryssie Whitehead? She's playing Kristine in A Chorus Line on Broadway right now...I know her through my cousin.

Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:17 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

"Roosevelt University - In the heart of Chicago/theatre district. Take 20-25 people generally. Don't have to take math, but do take English. Conservatory program. $14k"

I kinda feel like a bit of an idiot for not going there! I had a full scholarship in their musical theatre program...I didn't realize they were so exclusive! LOL!

But seriously, I wouldn't have traded my NY training for anything! :)

I really loved AMDA once upon a time when I went there! Not sure what it's like now, but it was GREAT when I went! :)

I've heard from a few people, mainly people who transferred out of my university to go to AMDA and then came BACK to my university, that its not what it used to be and that its rep. is falling. I don't know for sure though obviously.

As for Roosevelt, my friend who was so amazingly talented went there, 2 years later she dropped out because it took away her love for the theatre. She's still in Chicago but she's a photography major now.

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:12 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: writing songs
Main Role: Performer

I basically have to do MCTC- (Minnesota Community Techhical College.) I have no money for college despite trying to get a job, and I can get two free years and get requirements out of the way. And I live in Minnesota, so I can't move to New York-(or anywhere for that matter, not even Wisconsin,) moving would cost too much, and my parents can't afford to really help me out with anything.
I'm scared. Do theater schools only accept applicants who are fresh out of highschool? Is two years later considered too late? I've heard you need to start early in theater if you want to make it. I'm dead scared of never getting into a good school with a good theater program. :(

One more little thing: I'd just want to say I probably will have something to fall back on. Has anyone here read "Making It on Broadway, Actors Tales of Climbing to the Top?" Good book. Anyway, I read from it a lot of them had to rely on waitressing and stuff like that just to scrape by. I'm definately going all out for it, but I think it could do more good in the long run to have something if it didn't work out. (Besides waitressing.)

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:19 pm
Profile YIM
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Do theater schools only accept applicants who are fresh out of highschool? Is two years later considered too late? I've heard you need to start early in theater if you want to make it. I'm dead scared of never getting into a good school with a good theater program. :(

Do not worry, from advisors and theatre faculty i've talked to they generally like transfer students. I suppose it's because they're a few years away from high school and generally have a more clear idea on where they want to go in life. Believe me, I'm in your same position (finishing up my 2nd year in community college) and looking to transfer to a decent theatre program.

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:49 pm
Profile WWW
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

The important thing is to go to a school where you feel comfortable. no matter how talented you are or how great the school is, it's your relationship with your teachers that will make or break you. To do this sort of work you have to LOVE and TRUST your teachers. Otherwise, you'll never grow.

I go to Roosevelt, so any questions about there can be directed to me.

Past Credits-
Bobby Child-Crazy For You
Archibald Craven-The Secret Garden
Leading Player-Pippin
Lefou- Beauty and the Beast

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:52 pm

jazzy - Did you go to school with Chryssie Whitehead? She's playing Kristine in A Chorus Line on Broadway right now...I know her through my cousin.

Nope...sorry! LOL!

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 1897 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 159  Next