The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1897 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159  Next
The College Thread 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

All I can say is I really wish I did do a college summer program. Do it! You might regret it if you don't.

Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Summer musicals
hey,

i don't actually know OCU, sounds like orange county, but i don't think that's what you meant. i attended interlochen, loved it and think the TISH program is great. idyllwild has a great musical theatre program for 11-13 yr olds. i'll be curious which one you get.

Tom@AuditionTrax.com

Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:25 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Hey guys - Im looking for a song for college auditions in the UK - im 19

ive already got my ballad sorted - from Annie get your gun - but im looking for something upbeat now that shows loads of character - Im an alto-mezzo-soprano lol because I can go really low, and often my voice suits lower numbers better - but im not limited for the higher range and ive got a strong belt.

I idealy want something from the Gerswhin / Cole Porter era - but i feel like ive been searching for ages and not found anything right... or something that isn't overdone such as "Ive got rhythm" or "The lady is a tramp" although that would be idea but *sigh*.....

Ive also looked at "how lovely to be a woman" and "Falling out of love can be fun" as more modern but uptempo ones, but none really have the "wow" factor that a one chance audition song should have lol..if that makes sense...

One im partial to but wondering about it's "overdone-ness" is "I wish I were in love again"

So ... im open to any suggestions... thank you :)

Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:02 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post songs?
sing sing,

have you thought about the songs from hairspray? it might be good to have a contrasting era. something contemporary. there may not be alot of 'wow' factor in them, except for the belt ability, so the college may not find that valuable, but if you were auditioning for summer stock or a working company i think you want something written more recently. does spamalot have anything for you? what about a sondheim patter song?

lots of luck, tom

Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:27 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Re: songs?
tomgriep wrote:
sing sing,

have you thought about the songs from hairspray? it might be good to have a contrasting era. something contemporary. there may not be alot of 'wow' factor in them, except for the belt ability, so the college may not find that valuable, but if you were auditioning for summer stock or a working company i think you want something written more recently. does spamalot have anything for you? what about a sondheim patter song?

lots of luck, tom

Thanks for the help but i think Hairspray is a little overdone here in The UK because of the succsess of the show... same with Spamalot - I'll have a look at sondheim thought definatly :)

i Also thought of "other side of the tracks" from Little me, but again not sure how overdone it is here at the UK :S

Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:40 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Take a look at "You Can Always Count on Me" from City of Angels. It definitely shows personality, and the last few bars really show off a great belt.

Good luck!

Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:34 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Oh, and it's generally suggested to stay away from Sondheim for college auditions for a few reasons. One being the difficulty of the accompaniment for the piano player and another being the emotional content in many of the songs. Those auditioning for college are not old enough to logically sing songs sung by characters in their 40's+.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:37 pm

^I agree, but for the wrong reasons. IMO, Sondheim's songs don't work too too well for general auditions because they aren't really good audition songs. It's good to use them for Sondheim auditions, but not college. They won't show your voice off very well. Although, some one did get into the MT program at my school singing "My Friends". So you never know!

Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:57 am
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

This might be a bit of a different request than what is the norm on this thread, but I am considering a dance major in college which can sometimes involve auditions in which I need to present a solo piece, and I need suggestions for songs to choreograph to? A few songs I have sort of considered:

I'm Gonna Fly--Sydney Forest
Defying Gravity--Idina Menzel (from her CD)
Starry Eyed Surprise--Oakenfold
Don't Stop Believing--Journey
Breathe Me--Sia
Slow Me Down--Emmy Rossum
You Take My Breathe Away OR Heartbeats--The Knife
Ruby Blue--Roisin Murphy
Let the Drummer Kick--Citizen Cope
Name OR Better Days--Goo Goo Dolls

Comments on any of these or new suggestions? Thanks!

Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:21 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Hey Sarah - this is Sarah II :) I absolutely LOVE 'Name' from the Goo Goo Dolls. I think that could be a really emotional dance number. Plus I think alot of other people will use broadway songs, so you have a good chance of standing out!

Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:57 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Hey--

This might be a bit of a different request than what is the norm on this thread, but I am considering a dance major in college which can sometimes involve auditions in which I need to present a solo piece, and I need suggestions for songs to choreograph to? A few songs I have sort of considered:

I'm Gonna Fly--Sydney Forest
Defying Gravity--Idina Menzel (from her CD)
Starry Eyed Surprise--Oakenfold
Don't Stop Believing--Journey
Breathe Me--Sia
Slow Me Down--Emmy Rossum
You Take My Breathe Away OR Heartbeats--The Knife
Ruby Blue--Roisin Murphy
Let the Drummer Kick--Citizen Cope
Name OR Better Days--Goo Goo Dolls

Comments on any of these or new suggestions? Thanks!

If you do lyric, I've seen some AMAZING dances to Nicest thing-Kate Nash. Also Hide and Seek-Imogen Heap.

Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:09 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

What's the dividing line between classic and contemporary? Say, a song from Sugar is not classic being from 1970's but would it be considered contemporary?

And likewise, when do you think it's safe to use a song from a contemporary musical? Obviously not if the original production is still playing.

Bah. These are the questions that plague me.

Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1897 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159  Next