The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1897 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157 ... 159  Next
The College Thread 
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

THINGS THAT ALL COLLEGE MT STUDENTS SHOULD HAVE:
1. A 3-ring binder to put your music in
2. A 3-hole punch to put music in the binder.
3. Scotch tape to tape pages of music together
4. A big water bottle. Mine is 2.2L. That's a lot. But it's so convenient.
5. Jazz or ballet slippers. This one might go without saying, but I'm not a dancer and was sad when I realized I would need these for dance calls.
6. A printer with a scanner/photocopier. Okay, this is NOT a necessity but if you can find a decently priced one, it will save you time and money copying music and monologues and other things.

7. First Aid Kit (smallish) at all times
8. Soft copies of their music, scripts, monologues

JUST A LITTLE BIT, JUST A LITTLE BIT

R-E-S-P-E-C-T project

Sun May 24, 2009 7:35 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

^If by soft copies, you mean typed up and saved on the computer, I agree. I have a word document with all my monologues. SO convenient.

Mon May 25, 2009 11:23 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I need help I am planing to act on stage once schooling is done. I also want to teach theater to special ed kids and teens. But I cant find the right collage.

Sat May 30, 2009 5:10 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I also reccommend having cut music in a binder. That's advice my voice teacher gave me this past semester as I was attending more auditions. Section for 16 bars and a section for maybe 24 bars.

And, if you live in a dry climate (like me!) a humidifier. They are a G-d send.

Oh, does anyone know anything about AMDA? I plan to audition there after two years at Arizona State to get my general classes done (and so my parents think I have a "real education".) Such as... is the intergrated program worth it? Living situations, etc.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:57 pm

My friend is going there this coming year. I'll ask after a couple months. And why don't you just go to Community College? It'd save major money.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:16 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Well I already attend Arizona State University haha. But I can't take virtually any music clases as I'm not part of the School of Music... Which required you to take 2 years of 16th-18th centur theory. A friend of mine who began learning music at 6 almost failed. Second week of school they had to listen to a piece on piano and transpose it. I'd FAIL so fast.

Soo yeah. Almost done with my generals per the state (finally) and my online computer literacy class starts next week... Which I'm taking through community college.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:12 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Okay, where is everyone going next year/ what is the intended major?

I can finally say I am eighteen and a working actress.

Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:15 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

So I will be entering college in a couple years, and while I love to dance and sing, I'm not down right amazing at it. I really want to go more for straight acting. What would be the best college to go to, for that. I think I might want to minor in musical theatre, but I'm not sure yet. I think I was to go to Cornish college in washington. Is that a good college? It would be really helpful if someone went to that college could help me. I either want to go there or somewhere in New York. This may have already been asked but there are so many post I couldn't read them all. Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:43 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Auditions for College, musical theatre
hey singers,

i just played auditions for the new york TISH program. it was very interesting to see who was really prepared and who wasn't. i suspect they'd prefer if i didn't say too much about the audition process. but one way to be prepared for your auditions is to know your music well. there were many kids who hadn't really sung their songs knowing what the piano part was gonna sound like or how long the intro was gonna be. if you are in a location where you can't get to a rehearsal pianist to run through your music, fax it or email it to me. i have a site called AuditionTrax.com where singers send me their sheet music and i play it into the piano and send it back to them as an mp3 a little while later. i charge as little as $10 per song for a 16 bar cut. check it out if you are stuck. AuditionTrax.com

Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:12 pm

^I completely agree, COMPLETELY agree! My rule is I spend ATLEAST an hour a day for 3 weeks on a song. Then again, I can accompany myself. Some people just don't understand the importance of knowing all the notes and how they sound with the piano (especially if you're doing something like Sondheim). It sounds like a little thing but its so important.

Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:42 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Rehearsal tracks and a contrasting song
Here's another audition tip that usually gets overlooked. Have a contrasting song prepared. If the folks behind the desk like what you've sung they may want to hear you sing something else. Don't put all your eggs in one basket and only have one song prepared, be sure and have another song equally well prepared for them. AuditionTrax.com

Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:54 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Hello all! I know this thread has been pretty much dead, but I'm thinking of applying to some musical theatre summer programs for next year. Particularly, I'm looking at OCU, for their high school workshop. That's where I really want to go next summer. Can anyone else tell me more about it? I've read a lot on College Confidential but it's essentially everyone's moms talking and I'd like to hear something from someone who has actually gone there.

Others I'm considering are CMU Pre-College (although it's pretty pricey), MPulse at UMich, CSSFA, NYU Tisch, Interlochen, and maybe Syracuse or Walnut Hill.

A few questions:
1. Have any of you guys done this before? How did it go?
2. Are there any other good programs out there I'm leaving out?
3. Since making DVD auditions and traveling can be very tedious, about how many programs are a good number to apply to? I really don't want to end up here at home the summer before my senior year.

Thanks in advance for any responses! :D

Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 1897 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157 ... 159  Next