Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Help! Newbie in need of guidance! 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Current Obsession: Legally Blonde & Newsies
Main Role: Performer
Post Help! Newbie in need of guidance!
Hi there! So, I'm 15 and will soon be auditioning for my first outside-of-school production (Legally Blonde). I just discovered this website and realized something very important: I know pretty much nothing about the world of theatre and I need help.

There are many talented people here and I would be extremely grateful for any advice that you could provide. I'll give my theatre history and some other possibly important information below:

I have had the following roles: Suessical, Ensemble; Thoroughly Modern Millie, Stenographer; Alice in Wonderland, Dormouse; Leader of the Pack; Ensemble. I also performed in a musical review which consisted of songs from Hairspray, Mamma Mia, Footloose, and Dreamgirls, but didn't have any solos.

Some other information:
- I'm either a soprano or mezzo-soprano, but I don't know what notes I can sing up to. (I'm basing this purely off the opinion of my seventh grade music teacher)
- I don't have any dance experience other than one ballet class I attended with a friend and tap-dancing as a Stenographer in Millie.
- I'm not vocally trained by a professional.

That's pretty much all the information I know, as of right now. Something very important that I would really appreciate being explained to me is a repertoire. I'm not sure what I should be doing to make mine, which songs are good for auditions, etc.

I consider myself very inexperienced, but learning all of this is very important to me. I want to be on Broadway - it is a near impossible goal and I am clearly very far from achieving it - so I really need to get started on this.

Thank you [-o<

Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:34 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
Post Re: Help! Newbie in need of guidance!
Sorry, it's unclear -- what's your question?

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:01 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Post Re: Help! Newbie in need of guidance!
I'm also unclear as to your question, but based on your intention to make it on Broadway, you definitely need to get some professional singing lessons. A teacher will be able to help you figure out your range and choose songs/roles that suit your voice type. I'd also take some dance lessons.

Is Legally Blonde a community production? What information have they provided you for the audition?

Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]