The Resource For Musicals



Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum


Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 22  Next
High School Audition Guide 
Author Message
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:21 am
Posts: 647
Location: Minnesota
Post 
LesWickedPhantom wrote:
I auditioned for Bye Bye Birdie at my school today. my last high school show ever. and I totally rocked my audition. I NEVER feel good about these sort of things, but this time it was different. Made me feel like I might actually get a lead as a senior. But unfortunately, the powers that be are not too fond of me, so I'll be lucky if I even get cast. (which is funny, because I've been nothing but supportive and respectful to them for the last several years, even though they've treated me like garbage).

But when I get cut, I'll just laugh, because I was the only person in my entire school to be accepted into the All-State music conference this year (it was for singing), when my school usually sends like 3 people per performing group. Best weekend of my life.

yeah... sorry... I'm one of THOSE seniors. I can't help it.
I wouldn't say you are one of THOSE Seniors. I think your situation is unfortanent. If you were a junior I would give the advice of asking for feedback.

I Actually learned this trick from my Basketball coach my freshman year, of highschool, ages ago. You see I wasn't getting much playing time and I thought I had the goods to be getting more playing time. So One day I Blatently walked up and asked him what I had to work on to get more playing time. He told me what he felt I should work on and if I show improvment, I will be playing more. And by my sohpmore year I was in the starting five.

I applyed that in all of my activitys as well. Including theatre. I asked my Highschool director what I could work on to look better in auditions. HE totally gave plenty of tips that have helped me get some of my favorite roles. Most of those tips are listed in my original post.

I think for you it would be good to ask your director what you could work on to get more noticed in auditions. Even if you are a senior and she doesn't cast you. At least you will know for futures sake. Most directors realise this is a school and a learning experience. And if she gives you things that you need to work that are dumb or really has no reason. Well at least you know that your director sucks and it wasn't you.

_________________
Image


Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:37 am
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:21 am
Posts: 647
Location: Minnesota
Post 
Lemoofin, Crazytheatregirl, and Curlyfry. BReak Legs at your auditions.

_________________
Image


Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:41 am
Profile
Tony Winner
Tony Winner
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:56 pm
Posts: 267
Location: That little suburban isle west of Manhattan
Post 
DaddyDiesel wrote:
LesWickedPhantom wrote:
I auditioned for Bye Bye Birdie at my school today. my last high school show ever. and I totally rocked my audition. I NEVER feel good about these sort of things, but this time it was different. Made me feel like I might actually get a lead as a senior. But unfortunately, the powers that be are not too fond of me, so I'll be lucky if I even get cast. (which is funny, because I've been nothing but supportive and respectful to them for the last several years, even though they've treated me like garbage).

But when I get cut, I'll just laugh, because I was the only person in my entire school to be accepted into the All-State music conference this year (it was for singing), when my school usually sends like 3 people per performing group. Best weekend of my life.

yeah... sorry... I'm one of THOSE seniors. I can't help it.
I wouldn't say you are one of THOSE Seniors. I think your situation is unfortanent. If you were a junior I would give the advice of asking for feedback.

I Actually learned this trick from my Basketball coach my freshman year, of highschool, ages ago. You see I wasn't getting much playing time and I thought I had the goods to be getting more playing time. So One day I Blatently walked up and asked him what I had to work on to get more playing time. He told me what he felt I should work on and if I show improvment, I will be playing more. And by my sohpmore year I was in the starting five.

I applyed that in all of my activitys as well. Including theatre. I asked my Highschool director what I could work on to look better in auditions. HE totally gave plenty of tips that have helped me get some of my favorite roles. Most of those tips are listed in my original post.

I think for you it would be good to ask your director what you could work on to get more noticed in auditions. Even if you are a senior and she doesn't cast you. At least you will know for futures sake. Most directors realise this is a school and a learning experience. And if she gives you things that you need to work that are dumb or really has no reason. Well at least you know that your director sucks and it wasn't you.


Actually, I did do that, in my junior year, after the Little Shop of Horrors cast list went up and I wasn't on. I gave myself a couple of days to chill out, and then approached the director (who was my music teacher) and asked him exactly where I went wrong, and explained that it was something very important to me and I wanted to fix it. You know what the response was?

"You're singing was great. It was really easy to follow you on the piano. and you knew what you were doing. Nice job. don't ask me about the acting part, speak suchandsuchotherteacher. Overall, you were great. We just weren't "wowed"."

a week later, he asked me to join the cast, because several people quit, and the ensemble was lacking in talent and enthusiasm.

after the perf, audience members approached me and told me the rest of the ensemble could've disappeared, and I could've still carried on phenomenally, both vocally and acting-ly. (and something else... I was the only person singing my harmony part. I was an alto singing the top soprano, because he didn't cast any sopranos, because its "not a soprano show". I still overshadowed the 10 other people)

So, so much for not having that "WOW" factor.

_________________
...Come to your senses, defenses are not the way to go...


Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:57 pm
Profile
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:22 pm
Posts: 98
Location: Michigan
Post 
kozafluitmusique wrote:
Ah, yes. Favoritism.

My old school's director claimed he doesn't cast the same people over and over again...wrong.

This was the first show in a LONG time at my current school that wasn't based on favorites but instead the audition. Last year's music director is on a two-year-masters program and I have heard she had favorites, and in those favorites she had even more so favorites...this year, there are no favorites, but some of the favorites (I think..) from last year are some of the principles, but that's because they are good.

What can I say?

Plus...I don't think class matters at my school.


It's basically the same thing at my high school.

We have 2 different directors. One does the musical, and the other one does some of the straight shows & is the theatre teacher at our school. (they exchange every year...) Our musical director doesn't pre-cast. He picks shows for the kids in our department, but he doesn't pre-cast. Our other director does. I was in a production of Our Town last year, and the director (the theatre teacher) completely pre casted who was going to be Emily and George right from the very beginning. Which I thought was unfair, but I got over it...

Also, (in response to the whole class thing..) I don't think that Seniors should be given more opportunites than everyone else. I'm a senior, but last year I went through a bunch of seniors on my case because I was offered the lead role in our musical. We did Once Upon A Mattress, and when he put up the cast list, all of the seniors (since all 3 female leads were Juniors) sat down and bluntly asked him why none of the female seniors got the part.

I don't think high school theatre should be that way..

(Sorry for writing a novel.)


Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:38 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:30 pm
Posts: 945
Post 
jessiemil42 wrote:
kozafluitmusique wrote:
Ah, yes. Favoritism.

My old school's director claimed he doesn't cast the same people over and over again...wrong.

This was the first show in a LONG time at my current school that wasn't based on favorites but instead the audition. Last year's music director is on a two-year-masters program and I have heard she had favorites, and in those favorites she had even more so favorites...this year, there are no favorites, but some of the favorites (I think..) from last year are some of the principles, but that's because they are good.

What can I say?

Plus...I don't think class matters at my school.


It's basically the same thing at my high school.

We have 2 different directors. One does the musical, and the other one does some of the straight shows & is the theatre teacher at our school. (they exchange every year...) Our musical director doesn't pre-cast. He picks shows for the kids in our department, but he doesn't pre-cast. Our other director does. I was in a production of Our Town last year, and the director (the theatre teacher) completely pre casted who was going to be Emily and George right from the very beginning. Which I thought was unfair, but I got over it...

Also, (in response to the whole class thing..) I don't think that Seniors should be given more opportunites than everyone else. I'm a senior, but last year I went through a bunch of seniors on my case because I was offered the lead role in our musical. We did Once Upon A Mattress, and when he put up the cast list, all of the seniors (since all 3 female leads were Juniors) sat down and bluntly asked him why none of the female seniors got the part.

I don't think high school theatre should be that way..

(Sorry for writing a novel.)


<3 oh, our little junior girl leads club. we were the prey, weren't we?


Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:00 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:21 am
Posts: 647
Location: Minnesota
Post 
jessiemil42 wrote:
kozafluitmusique wrote:
Ah, yes. Favoritism.

My old school's director claimed he doesn't cast the same people over and over again...wrong.

This was the first show in a LONG time at my current school that wasn't based on favorites but instead the audition. Last year's music director is on a two-year-masters program and I have heard she had favorites, and in those favorites she had even more so favorites...this year, there are no favorites, but some of the favorites (I think..) from last year are some of the principles, but that's because they are good.

What can I say?

Plus...I don't think class matters at my school.


It's basically the same thing at my high school.

We have 2 different directors. One does the musical, and the other one does some of the straight shows & is the theatre teacher at our school. (they exchange every year...) Our musical director doesn't pre-cast. He picks shows for the kids in our department, but he doesn't pre-cast. Our other director does. I was in a production of Our Town last year, and the director (the theatre teacher) completely pre casted who was going to be Emily and George right from the very beginning. Which I thought was unfair, but I got over it...

Also, (in response to the whole class thing..) I don't think that Seniors should be given more opportunites than everyone else. I'm a senior, but last year I went through a bunch of seniors on my case because I was offered the lead role in our musical. We did Once Upon A Mattress, and when he put up the cast list, all of the seniors (since all 3 female leads were Juniors) sat down and bluntly asked him why none of the female seniors got the part.

I don't think high school theatre should be that way..

(Sorry for writing a novel.)
I dont think I said that Seniors should get lead roles automatically. What I said was is if a senior is deserrving of the role then the senior would get it over underclassman. I do not see that as an unfortanent event. IF a senior has been there for all 4 years. Either working behind the scenes and on stage. Then they have paid there dues.

_________________
Image


Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:31 am
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:30 pm
Posts: 945
Post 
DaddyDiesel wrote:
jessiemil42 wrote:
kozafluitmusique wrote:
Ah, yes. Favoritism.

My old school's director claimed he doesn't cast the same people over and over again...wrong.

This was the first show in a LONG time at my current school that wasn't based on favorites but instead the audition. Last year's music director is on a two-year-masters program and I have heard she had favorites, and in those favorites she had even more so favorites...this year, there are no favorites, but some of the favorites (I think..) from last year are some of the principles, but that's because they are good.

What can I say?

Plus...I don't think class matters at my school.


It's basically the same thing at my high school.

We have 2 different directors. One does the musical, and the other one does some of the straight shows & is the theatre teacher at our school. (they exchange every year...) Our musical director doesn't pre-cast. He picks shows for the kids in our department, but he doesn't pre-cast. Our other director does. I was in a production of Our Town last year, and the director (the theatre teacher) completely pre casted who was going to be Emily and George right from the very beginning. Which I thought was unfair, but I got over it...

Also, (in response to the whole class thing..) I don't think that Seniors should be given more opportunites than everyone else. I'm a senior, but last year I went through a bunch of seniors on my case because I was offered the lead role in our musical. We did Once Upon A Mattress, and when he put up the cast list, all of the seniors (since all 3 female leads were Juniors) sat down and bluntly asked him why none of the female seniors got the part.

I don't think high school theatre should be that way..

(Sorry for writing a novel.)
I dont think I said that Seniors should get lead roles automatically. What I said was is if a senior is deserrving of the role then the senior would get it over underclassman. I do not see that as an unfortanent event. IF a senior has been there for all 4 years. Either working behind the scenes and on stage. Then they have paid there dues.


She wasn't disagreeing with that, I don't think. I definitely think that if there are two people equally as talented and equally as capable of playing the part, the senior should get it. But when there is a clear distinction between the talent/ability levels, and the better person for the role happens to be an underclassmen, it should go that way. Luckily, with our main HS director, he casts based on talent, nothing else. It's amazing. We get such a varied age range of leads every year, and our shows are always better for it. Our other director that Jessie was talking about, casts only seniors in the leads, just for the reason that they are seniors.

I am a senior, and I know I've paid my dues, but if there were a junior, sophomore, freshman who would be better in the role and make the production as a whole better, I'd be happy for them to get it. It's just that not all directors cast that way, and most seniors (espcially girls, in my experiences), throw fits about it.


Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:44 am
Profile
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:22 pm
Posts: 98
Location: Michigan
Post 
star2ballie wrote:
DaddyDiesel wrote:
jessiemil42 wrote:
kozafluitmusique wrote:
Ah, yes. Favoritism.

My old school's director claimed he doesn't cast the same people over and over again...wrong.

This was the first show in a LONG time at my current school that wasn't based on favorites but instead the audition. Last year's music director is on a two-year-masters program and I have heard she had favorites, and in those favorites she had even more so favorites...this year, there are no favorites, but some of the favorites (I think..) from last year are some of the principles, but that's because they are good.

What can I say?

Plus...I don't think class matters at my school.


It's basically the same thing at my high school.

We have 2 different directors. One does the musical, and the other one does some of the straight shows & is the theatre teacher at our school. (they exchange every year...) Our musical director doesn't pre-cast. He picks shows for the kids in our department, but he doesn't pre-cast. Our other director does. I was in a production of Our Town last year, and the director (the theatre teacher) completely pre casted who was going to be Emily and George right from the very beginning. Which I thought was unfair, but I got over it...

Also, (in response to the whole class thing..) I don't think that Seniors should be given more opportunites than everyone else. I'm a senior, but last year I went through a bunch of seniors on my case because I was offered the lead role in our musical. We did Once Upon A Mattress, and when he put up the cast list, all of the seniors (since all 3 female leads were Juniors) sat down and bluntly asked him why none of the female seniors got the part.

I don't think high school theatre should be that way..

(Sorry for writing a novel.)
I dont think I said that Seniors should get lead roles automatically. What I said was is if a senior is deserrving of the role then the senior would get it over underclassman. I do not see that as an unfortanent event. IF a senior has been there for all 4 years. Either working behind the scenes and on stage. Then they have paid there dues.


She wasn't disagreeing with that, I don't think. I definitely think that if there are two people equally as talented and equally as capable of playing the part, the senior should get it. But when there is a clear distinction between the talent/ability levels, and the better person for the role happens to be an underclassmen, it should go that way. Luckily, with our main HS director, he casts based on talent, nothing else. It's amazing. We get such a varied age range of leads every year, and our shows are always better for it. Our other director that Jessie was talking about, casts only seniors in the leads, just for the reason that they are seniors.

I am a senior, and I know I've paid my dues, but if there were a junior, sophomore, freshman who would be better in the role and make the production as a whole better, I'd be happy for them to get it. It's just that not all directors cast that way, and most seniors (espcially girls, in my experiences), throw fits about it.


I was saying that if a junior or a senior were up for the part, and the junior ended up getting it because they were better at the role, I don't think the senior should freak out about it.

Now if an underclassman ended up getting a part, who isn't good to begin with, and they were up against an amazing senior, then that's a different story.

I just don't think that Seniors should have "the right" to get a lead part based on the fact that they are Seniors...

Theatre should be based on talent.


Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:58 am
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:21 am
Posts: 647
Location: Minnesota
Post 
Yup I misread that. And you are right. seniors that flip out because juniors got roles over them are annoying. But seniors are Divas. I wasn't meaning to sound condesending. Stupid internet.

And starry your also right. I think I might have to append my original post to include such things from seniors.

_________________
Image


Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:13 am
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:21 am
Posts: 647
Location: Minnesota
Post 
Quote:
I just don't think that Seniors should have "the right" to get a lead part based on the fact that they are Seniors...

Theatre should be based on talent.
There is a lot more to theatre than just being talent though. As you know, since you are a senior, that attitude, leadership, willingness to work, and how well an ensemble works togethor are things that also go into a cast. I know some extremely talented people that I would never cast in a show because they are self righteous.

Two years a go I was co-casting a Highschool version of West side story. There was a senior girl who was extrememly talented. A "shoe in" for Maria. She was a senior and was a brunette version of sharpay from HSM. Everyone that was around her she treated like ants. She came in and sang awesome and acted amazing. She had been the shools lead actress since she was a freshman and new it. She treated her audition like she already had the part. (which is good in someways, just not the way she did it.)I immediatley starting asking questions to my friend who directed the previous show in that school. He hated her. Last year, She took a great cast and brought it down. He said that she constantly brought down the other actors and treated the show as if it was all about her. Long story short we cast her as Rosalitta. I didn't want to cast her at all. But I also didn't have to deal with her mother since I was just helping my friend cast the show. That girl ended up quitting 2 weeks before the show opened.

_________________
Image


Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:36 am
Profile
Tony Winner
Tony Winner
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:56 pm
Posts: 267
Location: That little suburban isle west of Manhattan
Post 
Just thought I'd share a story...

Bye Bye Birdie cast list went up today.

some surprising casting, but pretty predictable nonetheless. I got Penelope...whatever, I'm all right with that considering I thought I would get cut completely (but they ended up not cutting anyone this year, so that doesn't say much). A good (Junior) friend of mine got Rosie. it hurt a little bit, because I obviously think I'm perfect for Rosie (who doesn't) but I'm happy for her.

Another senior girl threw a fit today when she saw the cast list (she got the Mayor's Wife), because I guess she expected to get Rosie. Knowing our directors, they could've possibly hinted that she might get it, or led her on or whatever (this girl played Audrey II in LSOH last year, and Mrs Frank in the Diary of Anne Frank this year). She sobbed to her friends, and then sobbed to our producer about it all day. It was just very bizarre. Especially because she only started doing the shows in school in the musical of junior year, when the rest of us have been working on every show since the fall of freshman year. I think I've only cried once about a school casting, and that was when I was cut from Little Shop and then told I gave a wonderful audition, but I did end up being in that show... so idk.

_________________
...Come to your senses, defenses are not the way to go...


Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:20 pm
Profile
Chorus Member
Chorus Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:24 am
Posts: 65
Post 
My school is having auditions for "Once Upon A Mattress" in two weeks. I have been preparing for this ever since I heard that this would be the musical back in late September; bought the cast recording (the original, don't worry ;) ), memorized the majority of the songs. I even had an audition song picked out.

However, it turns out that they want us to do a monologue and that we get to choose from selected songs from the musical. Not a major set-back, but I feel a little more unprepared now.

Anyway, I am only a Freshman, but I would love to be Lady Larken. I know that this is unlikely, given my grade and the fact that she is the largest Soprano role in the show, but I might have a shot since I have theatrical experience outside of school and whatnot.

The only selected song they had for Lady Larken was part of "In A Little While" ("In a velvet gown" to "Harry, marry me."). I assumed that would be the wisest choice if I wanted that character. Question: My choir teacher is also going to be part of the auditioning process, I believe. Would it be unwise to ask him for help or advice when it came to the singing?

However, I'm rather confused when it comes to the monologue. I have searched for comedic monologues, but none of them seemed funny to me, much less hinting at the character. They gave us a monologue in case we couldn't find one, but I am not sure if that would show laziness on my part if I chose to do that. Any advice on this would be great.

Also: Dressing a little less casually than usual for the audition: Yes or no? I wouldn't want to be the only overdressed person there, but I'm used to dressing nicely at auditions.

So yes, any advice on how to knock their socks off would be great. ^^ Sorry about all the seemingly unimportant questions; I'm just paranoid and want to make the best impression possible, especially since I was cast in their play earlier this year and had to quit. Thank you in advance.

_________________
Image
Made by SuperKabob! =)

Auds:
Thoroughly Modern Millie, High School Musical
Just Finished:
The Nightingale of Smarkand in Once Upon A Mattress


Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:56 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 22  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.