The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next
High School Audition Guide 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Other...

My old school's director claimed he doesn't cast the same people over and over again...wrong.

This was the first show in a LONG time at my current school that wasn't based on favorites but instead the audition. Last year's music director is on a two-year-masters program and I have heard she had favorites, and in those favorites she had even more so favorites...this year, there are no favorites, but some of the favorites (I think..) from last year are some of the principles, but that's because they are good.

What can I say?

Plus...I don't think class matters at my school.

Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:26 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

my schools doing Thoroughly Modern Millie and i wanted to try out for Dorothy Smith. any audition song suggestions?

Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:05 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

THANKS!! This really helped for my audition next week.

The Phantom Tollbooth- Tock

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:31 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I do think there is favortism out there. There are a few corrupt highschool directors out there. But a lot of times I wonder if students mistake talent for favoritism.

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:50 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I do think there is favortism out there. There are a few corrupt highschool directors out there. But a lot of times I wonder if students mistake talent for favoritism.

Here Here
Every one always claims that this one director has favorites. And I am the only who goes, well uh if you mean that he likes to cast the people with talent then yeah, he has favorties.

Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:27 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Say, if there are no seniors in a show for one year, would everyone else move up in status according to your first post?

Brilliant thread by the way!

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:45 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Was there a horrible accidnet in your school that made your senior class disappear? Or are there no seniors in your drama department?

I Guess hypothetically yes. All though I would probably lean heavier on the Junior and sophmore classes. It is tough to give outstanding roles to freshman. Unless of course they overwelm me with there talent. The problem with giving a large role to a freshman is a leadership thing.

Even if the freshman has great leadership skills it would be tough for her or him to get the respect of her upper classman. Just because most highschool juniors and seniors have a problem looking up to freshman.

Oh and thaks for the compliment. All though i think it was more frustraition being expressed than brilliance. I am rarely brilliant.

Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:17 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Actually this a k-12 school, with the show open to 7-12. On rare occasions we will pull up elementary kids if we need more people in the chorus or if there's a role that no one else is capable of.

The social order in my shows, have three levels of authority(not including adults).
1) the jr. high, first year, chorus kids level. You listen, you obey, you learn.
2)the middle class. You've done this enough before to gain some respect as long as you still show some, you will either be supporting or chorus.

and 3)the eldest, whom we all bow down to, the leaders and leads. They must be inspirational to the lowers levels.

I would say I'm in either group 2 or 3 because I am either the or one of the most experinced actor, have gotten good roles before, but I've never been old enough before to gain absolute respect or to get the lead. I'm hoping to change that this year.

As for the seniors, we only have two. One's a techie and the other just does it for fun, she really does not care what role as long as she's in it. Nor is she really lead material, but she may surprise me!

Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:37 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I auditioned for Bye Bye Birdie at my school today. my last high school show ever. and I totally rocked my audition. I NEVER feel good about these sort of things, but this time it was different. Made me feel like I might actually get a lead as a senior. But unfortunately, the powers that be are not too fond of me, so I'll be lucky if I even get cast. (which is funny, because I've been nothing but supportive and respectful to them for the last several years, even though they've treated me like garbage).

But when I get cut, I'll just laugh, because I was the only person in my entire school to be accepted into the All-State music conference this year (it was for singing), when my school usually sends like 3 people per performing group. Best weekend of my life.

yeah... sorry... I'm one of THOSE seniors. I can't help it.

Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:46 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Location: If you care to find me, look to the western sky. ;)
I auditioned for Bye Bye Birdie at my school today. my last high school show ever. and I totally rocked my audition. I NEVER feel good about these sort of things, but this time it was different. Made me feel like I might actually get a lead as a senior. But unfortunately, the powers that be are not too fond of me, so I'll be lucky if I even get cast. (which is funny, because I've been nothing but supportive and respectful to them for the last several years, even though they've treated me like garbage).

But when I get cut, I'll just laugh, because I was the only person in my entire school to be accepted into the All-State music conference this year (it was for singing), when my school usually sends like 3 people per performing group. Best weekend of my life.

yeah... sorry... I'm one of THOSE seniors. I can't help it.

That is my exact situation. To a tee. I have a Thoroughly Modern Millie audition this week, (my last one... I'm a senior as well) and I know that even though I may be best for the part, they will cast someone who sucks just to avoid picking me. I've never done anything mean to them... The director has even admitted that I have a fantastic voice and I'm a great actress. I also got selected out of 900 people to be the singer for our jazz band, so I guess I don't suck. She's just so weird... some people will never be fair.

Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:56 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

^ Good luck with your audition. You seem to be very talented I hope it turns out well. Let us know how it goes!

I've got a Grease audition on Monday, and I'm extremely pumped about it. We have to sing a song from the show and I think I'm going with Freddy, My Love. I'm a sophomore and have been EXTREMELY involved with everything theatre since I started high school, so hopefully the outcome is good. *crosses fingers*

And BTW this thread is very helpful. I like it a lot. :D

Most Recently: Maggie- Disco Inferno

Upcoming-Exit the Body auditions

Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:27 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
I'm auditioning tomorrow for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat... I soooo want to be a Narrator, but who knows what'll happen. Lord knows I've paid my dues for chorus/minor roles. Pray for Kaiti, won't you?

To add something helpful to this thread: think before you act. If you have an audition, drink LOTS OF WATER a day or two before. Staying hydrated is important, especially in cold weather like now.

Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next