The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 22  Next
High School Audition Guide 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

reading this thread makes me laugh... i have become such a crotchety, angry old woman since january! my posts are much crankier now!

Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:27 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

My high school isn't really like this, but we're all kinds of f*cked up.

Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

A fun story about the show we did in the spring, West Side Story.

Callbacks did not involve singing or reading. Most of the time we stood in a line, separated into Jets and Sharks. Then the Jets did the dance combination, then the Sharks. It was so weird and really does define "cast on looks."

When our Tony was cast, our director came up to him and told him that she knew he was gonna be Tony "from the minute he walked into his audition". A little weird, considering she was also his teacher.

Lastly, our director is kind of a pushover. One of our Marias was sick. She first had mono, then strept throat. While she was out, our Rosalita took over. Our director "felt bad" that she played the role in rehearsal for naught, so she double-casted the show three weeks before the show opened! From there it was near chaos, but everything turned out all right. Just typical high school.

Currently: Nothing!
Recently Finished: Alexander in Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Jinx (u/s) in Forever Plaid

Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:57 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

theonetowatch wrote:
Haha this is all good advice, but as a high schooler I feel embarassed that you had to tell us any of that.

Ditto.

DaddyDiesel wrote:
Well as long as you dont take credit for it knock yourself out. I know there is a copy hanging in my old alma matter (spelling?). Of course I go up there and help out every once in a while.

Just to clear it up, it's alma mater.
I dont think its very embarrasing at all. After sitting through the highschool audition process, last year, It was very clear that many students, highschool theatre show, is there first time auditioning for anything. So they just dont know what to do or prepare. Of course there are the ones that know what is going on. they were a blessing last year.

Alma mater Thanks for the correction I never get that right.

Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:01 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Good I found this...

Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:41 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:24 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I have a WSS High School audition story too!
Okay, so when my brother was a freshman at out High School (He graduated last year.) He SM'd for WSS as the school musical.
My school theatre is complatley studennt run, and by that I mean we don't even have a theatre class, and we didn't have an real advisor then, only someone whi helped when needed. So that casting was done by the student directors and the College age musical director.
Anyway, the Tony and Maria were cast because they 'looked cute together' and the director was dating the Tony at the time. The rehersals were going so poorly that the advisor had to step in and help re-cast, and month before the show.

Now, my school theatre is much smoother...It better be though, because I am the Theatre Committee and Drama Club president.

Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:38 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

^^^^ That is an odd thing. I Dont think Ihave ever seen a recast so close to opening before. I mean Ihave seen maybe one part but the whole cast.. 8O

Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:45 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Oh, they didn't recast the show, just the Tony and Maria, the roles were both given to the understudies, who had been in the cast the whole time. The Tony and Maria were offered the roles that the understudies had been (a Jet, and a Shark girl) but they both ended up dropping.

Oddly enough, that production of WSS was one of my school's only sell-out shows.

Thanks for posting this sticky by the way, I have a school musical audition soon, for OOTI.

Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:35 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Last year, when I was a freshman, I was cast as ensemble, but I understood, because I had never worked with the director before and the auditions were only singing... he had to basically know you to cast you for acting. I was, and still am, the strongest singer in my school and this year for sure I would have a part because he knows me now and he knows I can act. Only problem is I'm a sophomore and he wants to give our president (a senior) a star vehicle...

I thought it was favoritism, but I understand now. This year, I'm one of "the favorites". I don't feel bad for the people who aren't favorites though, because all anyone else does is complain. So everyone bases their argument on "well it's always the same people who get cast." That's because it's always the same people who audition for everything, and train outside of school, and are part of the drama club cabinet, and work their asses off... So if they tell me we don't deserve it, or better yet, show me they can do better, then I'll be happy.

Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:41 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

^^^^^I would say jealousy plays a big part into that. Highschoolers get very jealous of roles they didnt get. Even if they dont deserve to be on the legs the stage holds up they would still get jealous.

Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:28 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I'm a freshman this year, but my school is SO SMALL that it's kinda different from what I've heard from y'all.
Last year, we did The Wizard of Oz, and Dorothy was one of my fellow eight-graders! She and I have both been classically trained for a while (me, 4/5 years), and I was her understudy. That year I was the lead of our one act, The Diary of Anne Frank. This year I was the lead of our one act, Alice in Wonderland, also.

So, really, age doesn't matter at our school. The most talent is in this year's eight and ninth grade classes, and some of our juniors and seniors are rly great, too.

The biggest problem at my school is parent intervention. Five of our main drama girls' mothers are teachers at my school, so they have a lot of say in who is what. Well, that's not what I mean, really. What I mean is they voice their child's "talent" to my director nonstop. But usually, he's pretty good about not being swayed.
And, of course, there's favouritism. One of my biggest competitors [for my BATB audition in a week!!!] is a quiet girl that ALWAYS auditions for all our plays, and she was Cinderella when she was a freshman. Since then, she has had no main parts, and my director RLY FAVOURS HER.

sigh. all schools have their problems, right?
=]

I just hope my recent lead role doesn't swing my director to not seriously consider me for BATB! But, then again, two years ago the one act lead and the musical lead were the same girl!

There is hope <3

Anne - The Diary of Anne Frank

Present:
Silly Girl - Beauty and the Beast

Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 22  Next