The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next
High School Audition Guide 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

God, I know this exact feeling.
Its great, isn't it?
My freshman year I got Sally in You're A Good Man Charlie Brown.
I think it was because i am classically trained, and so I knew how to work my vocal chords, so I could belt without it having to seem like I was killing myself in the process.

I'm sure you have a lovely voice but how much "classical" training can you have at 14, considering they really don't recommend you start vocal study much earlier then that as a lot of damage can be done to young voices by bad teachers. Even at 14 the voice is still really young-especially to be belting, though I'm sure your voice study, for however long you had been doing it, did help you.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:09 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

High school, high school *shakes head* :roll:

Another addition ~ The drama club officers will always be cast, whether they can sing, act, or dance (most of the time they can ... but there always are exceptions!). 95% of the time they will get the leads because they have the most influence on the drama director.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:39 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

B_E_A- depends if the drama club HAS officers (ours does not, run completely by the theatre teacher). I do however want to say, if you aren't in theatre class/drama club/both, your chances of being in the show are significantly lessened.

Okay, here's a question for all you. I'm in Honor's Choir this year. The teacher/director threw fits because we had to miss half off all rehersals. Alright, so, auditions for our play are tommorow, and I want to write something on the form about how I would be willing to sacrifice choir for theatre. I'm thinking something along the lines of putting in the conflicts box:

I have Honor's Choir on Tuesday and Thursday. As much as I love honor's choir, however, I realize it cuts into rehersal time for both you and [insertchoirdirectorhere] and if cast, would make the sacrifice to be in Chateau la Roach.

How does it sound? I don't want her going back to our Choir director and saying I don't really like choir, and I don't want to sound snobby. So what do you think?

Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:47 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

christinadaae wrote:
God, I know this exact feeling.
Its great, isn't it?
My freshman year I got Sally in You're A Good Man Charlie Brown.
I think it was because i am classically trained, and so I knew how to work my vocal chords, so I could belt without it having to seem like I was killing myself in the process.

I'm sure you have a lovely voice but how much "classical" training can you have at 14, considering they really don't recommend you start vocal study much earlier then that as a lot of damage can be done to young voices by bad teachers. Even at 14 the voice is still really young-especially to be belting, though I'm sure your voice study, for however long you had been doing it, did help you.

Europe and south america get their kids singing earlier than 14 though, right? It was even younger in previous ages. My biography of Bidu Sayao (from Brazil, early 1900's) says she was seeing a presitigious voice teacher at 13... but this discussion belongs in a completely different thread, so i'll stop here.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:54 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I think they do tend to. Whether they do or don't, its still not healthy on the voice to be studying very young unless you have a teacher who has done a lot of work with young voices. If you have a bad teacher at a young age, you'll develop bad habits that will not only be hard to break but will damage your voice in the end. Every time I hear that Bianca Ryan from that American talent show sing And I Am Telling You, I want to find her parents and vocal coach if she has one and strangle them because that little girl is literally going to fry her vocal chords by the time she is in her late teens/early twenties.

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:12 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

B_E_A- depends if the drama club HAS officers (ours does not, run completely by the theatre teacher). I do however want to say, if you aren't in theatre class/drama club/both, your chances of being in the show are significantly lessened.

Okay, here's a question for all you. I'm in Honor's Choir this year. The teacher/director threw fits because we had to miss half off all rehersals. Alright, so, auditions for our play are tommorow, and I want to write something on the form about how I would be willing to sacrifice choir for theatre. I'm thinking something along the lines of putting in the conflicts box:

I have Honor's Choir on Tuesday and Thursday. As much as I love honor's choir, however, I realize it cuts into rehersal time for both you and [insertchoirdirectorhere] and if cast, would make the sacrifice to be in Chateau la Roach.

How does it sound? I don't want her going back to our Choir director and saying I don't really like choir, and I don't want to sound snobby. So what do you think?
I think you just have to be honest to both teachers. Let them both what is going on. I think teachers get upset when you try to keep it a secret.

Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:10 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

the whole concept of high school musicals is just funny.
the entire process.
freshman year was a huge disappointment for me.
after callbacks i literally got in the car and broke down.
i thought my life as a performer was just over. haha.
and then. sophomore year.
i was disappointed again.
and frustrated. you have no idea.
i just couldn't understand how they could tell me how talented i was to my face and then cast me as chorus.
i am a junior this year.
i just auditioned for the musical.
and at callbacks i went up against the only really talented senior for the lead.
which was a pretty amazing feeling.
sure i felt like crap when i saw she was casted as the lead [obviously. but it was well deserved], but i do have a semi-big part. which i consider pretty good for being a junior.
and next year. [i am hoping at least haha] will finally be my year to shine for once.

really. for anyone who over-analyzes the director's casting decisions too much. just DON'T. don't break down and think you have no talent. because if you've been told so your entire life... chances are that you really are talented. don't stress because you will work yourself up too much like i did. and honestly, i just laugh at myself because of how i reacted to the whole sitaution before. ha.

"life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one."

my vlog: http://youtube.com/user/fatimalex

Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:08 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Every time I hear that Bianca Ryan from that American talent show sing And I Am Telling You, I want to find her parents and vocal coach if she has one and strangle them because that little girl is literally going to fry her vocal chords by the time she is in her late teens/early twenties.

haha this is really random but one of my friends actually goes to the same vocal coach as bianca ryan does..not saying he's good or not..just weird coincidence:P

Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:23 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Im bumpng this cuz A. I cant believe I got that frustrated to preach like that. B. I am helping the same friend cast OUAM. Im hoping some of his kids are MDNERS and read this.

Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:31 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

It's stuff like this that makes me kinda glad that I'm part of a growing program at my school- I was able to get a decent, good part in our school's play this year (Gay Wellington in YCTIWY) as a freshmen and will probably be able to snag a part in our upcoming musical because the picking's smaller for singers and dancers.

But I remember being rather dissapointed that Essie was given to a sophomore who sings beautifully but acting is sort of flat. But it's Highschool play. Like any theatre, you've got to pay your dues. Such is life.

But what is worse is the whiney freshmen who tried out and didn't (or got cast as G-men) who are angrily stomping around. No one wants that kind of person in their cast.

Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:07 pm

Main Role: Fan
Thanks for the bump. This is so good it oughta be sticky'd. Where's a mod when you need one. :?

This is all really great advice. I have been telling my kids these things for a while, bit this is the best job I've seen of reducing all the knowledge to paper. =D>

I'm going to print it off for my daughters who are in school. And -no: I will positively not lobby or try to influence their directors even though I'm friends with all three of them. The kids will have to earn the parts on their own. I'll support the shows whether or not my kids get cast as anything!

Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:11 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Haha this is all good advice, but as a high schooler I feel embarassed that you had to tell us any of that.

Ditto.

DaddyDiesel wrote:
Well as long as you dont take credit for it knock yourself out. I know there is a copy hanging in my old alma matter (spelling?). Of course I go up there and help out every once in a while.

Just to clear it up, it's alma mater.

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But, vice versa - the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant. --The Doctor

Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next