The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
High School Audition Guide 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

my advice to anyone who is talented and feels they are getting sh*t on in high school theatrew is to start auditioning for regional and community theatre productions and get out od the high school atmosphere when doing theatre.

My sister does just that AND high school theatre.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:21 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

So at my high school audition today.. 85% of people forgot the words to the song. which, btw, was 'Button up your overcoat' so it REALLY wasn't anything difficult.

ha.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:51 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Reading some of these posts just makes me so thankful that my director does not have a seniority system and casts on acting BEFORE voice...I really believe that few schools can say that that applies in casting.

NEVERTHELESS...as we learned with our recent musical casting- even the freshman who cannot act, sing, or dance, yet was SOMEHOW handed a theatre scholarship, will get a lead over the true-blue triple threat senior who has had leads in the show twice before.

My director does have SOME favoritism though...that's inevitable. But I'm grateful that, for the most part, I have earned the parts I've gotten the past few years.

God, college theatre is going to stab me through the heart.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:34 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

my advice to anyone who is talented and feels they are getting sh*t on in high school theatrew is to start auditioning for regional and community theatre productions and get out od the high school atmosphere when doing theatre.

I completely agree. Really, anyone who is considering goign into theater after highschool shoudl start community theater ASAP.

Also, I have diredted and choreographed several high school shows. Yes, there will always been favoritism and seniority, however i fyou come in and truly kick ass, you have the surprise factor, that will trump the favorites and older peopel

Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:47 pm
I probably have one of the more corrupted high school directors.We didn`t even have auditions for our play this year.We just checked off a few roles on a list that we might want to play. Most of us barely knew the teacher and she basically let the older drama club kids and the ones she`d had in class before cast the entire play.There`s also this one girl who isn`t even in high school yet who somehow got herself into one of the leads,when other middle school kids had asked about drama but weren`t allowed to join.So far I`m not too happy with the high school theatre experience,but it might have something to do with being set in my community theatre ways. :?

Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:02 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I probably have one of the more corrupted high school directors.We didn`t even have auditions for our play this year.We just checked off a few roles on a list that we might want to play. Most of us barely knew the teacher and she basically let the older drama club kids and the ones she`d had in class before cast the entire play.There`s also this one girl who isn`t even in high school yet who somehow got herself into one of the leads,when other middle school kids had asked about drama but weren`t allowed to join.So far I`m not too happy with the high school theatre experience,but it might have something to do with being set in my community theatre ways. :?
Wow, if all that is true, that is amazingly stupid. I wouldnt call that corrupted I would call that very lazy. Giving her older highschool kids the job of casting and not even doing auditions. DUMB. I still think that corruption this bad is in the minority. Because I know alot of kids who just say there highschool is corrupt for not casting me. SO any of you younger kids afraid of corruption in highschool theatre dont be scared yet because chances are you are going to be fine. But there are corrupted dire ctors out there but I am so saying that they are in the minority.

Oh yeah and giving apart to a senior who is just slightly less better than a freshman or sophmore is not corruption its seniority and is how highschool theatre should work IMO. Of course If a senior is terrible and the sophmore is alot better than there you go. Its hould by the sohpmore.

Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:09 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

ya...just a word to you freshmen...my friend is a freshman...and she is new to my school...and has never worked with my director....although she was in the play (not a very big part and with a different director) and she got the part of Edwin Drood in The Mystery of Edwin Drood. Just goes to show...if you work..and are amazing...you stil have a chance no matter what grade your in

Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:17 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Hard work is key. I am a freshman this year, and as soon as I found out about the auditions for "Once Upon a Mattress" I borrowed a CD and a script from the director, read/istened to them excessively, looked up as much information as I possibly could about the show (that's actually how I found this site) and just generally worked harder than I think I've ever worked for anything in my entire life. And it paid off. I was cast as Lady Larken (my first choice role), beating several older girls, some of whom had been cast in leads before or were in the Theatre Workshop class.

However, the director was new to the school this year, so I can't say that favoritism was much of an issue. And because of the huge amount of talent there, the girls roles were double cast. But hey, it was still a completely vicious audition.

Again-- Hard work is key. :-)

Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:14 pm
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Yeah I'm happy to be in the 5% my freshman year (Oklahoma!). I hadn't been in choir, just decided to audition for the musical because I had done stuff outside. But I prepared for the role, I made it my own. And they loved it. The director never met me, and suddenly I got into the top singing group, then I got a callback, then I got the role. One of the happiest moments of my life and definetly showed how talented I am.

However, things change. Sophmore year (Les Mis) I did the exact same preparation, but I wasn't what they wanted for a lead. I wasn't goofy enough to be Thenardier or have a mature voice at that point to be Marius. I was pissed at first, but now I realize that I wouldn't have done as well in those roles. The director made the right choice.

Junior year (Carousel), I was horribly sick. I had told the director before my audition, so she took a little pity on me. But I still put a lot of character into my audition, despite having a hoarse voice. As a result I got a callback and the part. This year (West Side Story) we have a new director, so nobody knows what to expect. But I'm gonna try my best and prepare beforehand, so hopefully I'll get the part I want!

Currently: Nothing!
Recently Finished: Alexander in Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Jinx (u/s) in Forever Plaid

Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:19 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is a prime example of you never know what a director is looking for in a charactor. What you might have in for a part couldbe way differant then the director. I like the fact that highschoolers are working at getting parts. and not just showing up expecting. One thing I forgot to add in my thread was that you should always work on material. Even if you wont know the audition criteria or the show till like a few weeks before hand. Work on other theatre attributes. Like work on monologues, singing songs, and put emotion and blocking to them. Its great practice. And believe it or not it helps with auditions. Because most directors are going to give you some direction at an audition and then set you loose into some lines. I like to call that Improve. At somepoint in every audition there is going to be some improve on your part . So work on that early.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:14 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I'm another 5% freshman. I had decided to transfer to the public high school in my town because of their great reputation for their musicals, and because I had done several shows with the choir directors/musical directors previously and had great experiences. Everyone at our school was expecting us to do Into the Woods, it was just a known fact that that was what it would be this year, and I was all set to be Little Red. But here comes the first day of school and they announced that the musical would be "The Wizard of Oz". At first I was really really mad because I had been planning on it being Into the Woods since 7th grade (when the leaks started to come) but after that I got really excited because I've grown up with the Wizard of Oz and its been my dream to play Dorothy.

The only thing that had me super worried was now there was a chance I wouldn't get the part, being a freshman. For Little Red, it would've been much much easier since not a lot of people in our school know "Into the Woods" and few would have the acting ability to play the fiesty little girl. But for Dorothy it was much different, all that was needed was a pretty voice and the right look, which a lot of girls in our school had.

So I started right then and there- watching the movie, reading the book, anything that would help. When it got closer to auditions I brought in Over the Rainbow to work on with my voice teacher, and practiced whenever I could. When they gave us the lines we would have to speak, I kept them with me at school all day and would just get them out and read through whenever I had a spare moment, and all of the hard work totally paid off. For my audition I specifically picked out an outfit with brown and blue in it just to give a little hint at how much I really wanted the part, and I walked into the audition room and gave it my all.

I was really nervous the day they were supposed to post the list, but instead of posting it they read it out loud to all the choirs. They had double cast all the leads, and he read the Thursday/Saturday cast first, and a girl a lot of people expected to get Dorothy got cast in that cast, and when he read the Friday/Sunday list and announced my name after "Dorothy" it was surreal. I'm very proud of what I accomplished as a freshman and will help spread the word that their IS a chance of getting cast as an underclassman, you just have to really try you hardest.

Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:10 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Post-Modern Literature
Its great, isn't it?
My freshman year I got Sally in You're A Good Man Charlie Brown.
I think it was because i am classically trained, and so I knew how to work my vocal chords, so I could belt without it having to seem like I was killing myself in the process.

Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next