The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next
High School Audition Guide 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

My school anonnces the years plays at the end of the school year before and give the audition information for all the plays shortly after school begains.

Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:05 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

5 days is a short time.
My school anonnces the years plays at the end of the school year before and give the audition information for all the plays shortly after school begains.

Well I believe the director takes so long to announce because he wants to see what kind of talent he has and who is showing responsibility and leadership before he puts in the request for the rights. Usually however, the kids get some kind of idea of what he is thinking of because someone usually see's the scores on his desk.

Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:40 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I've been slaving over preparing for my Thoroughly Modern Millie audition thats coming up in January since the show was announced like last March, and it bugs me when people use the excuse that there was no time to prepare. I mean, just look at me, I've been preparing for around 9 months!

Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
For all those arguing and saying your teacher plays favorites:

My teacher. Well. I pretty much thought he hated me and I was screwed for the musical (Working) because I hadn't been in one of his productions before my senior year (although I had been in You're a Good Man Charlie Brown with a different director the year before). Then when I recieved my callback I found out I was called back for two parts and that I was up against what I considered MAJOR competition in each one. For the part of Rose I was up against our Maria from SoM and Lady Larkin from OUaM. So what does a musical newbie do in that situation?

I worked my butt off :P

And ya, the girl who played Maria got the part of the housewife... a much more interesting part... But I ended up beating out Larkin for the part of Rose.

And this from a director I thought played favorites.

Not that he doesn't IN CHOIR.... but I've learned that people can suprise you.

Point? Even if you think the odds are against you, work your butt off and you'll be AWESOME :P

Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:49 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

^^ However it doesn't always happen that way. I'd say you're one of the rare cases in high schools who beat the odds because they worked hard and gave an amazing audition.

Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:09 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

^^ However it doesn't always happen that way. I'd say you're one of the rare cases in high schools who beat the odds because they worked hard and gave an amazing audition.
Well I am guessing you are student that thinks that had this happen at your highschool and it might of. But Do you know for sure that he or she plaed favorites. Has your director actually said that. When I was in Highschool. We had alot of people say our director played favorites. I guarentee you he didnt. It just happened that some of the same people were cast as big roles acouple times in a row. Now he wasnt the choir director so he didnt no any of us except through theatre. The people being cast were always good - amazing. But then again we had people say oh the leads suck I had mainy people tell me I was much better than her blah blah blah. Well my senior year we had a brand new director come in because our old one moved away. No one knew this person. All the kids complaining about the last director playing favorites were excited because they felt that it was a new slate for them. Well what happened is not what they planned most of the lead roles were cast with the last directors "favorites". Of course there were a ton of complaints. YOu can see my overall point to this story. No matter what school you go to even if the director is corrupt or not. People are always going to find some reason they werent cast besides blaiming themselves.
Again I am not saying this didnt happen in your school. And I appologise for the preaching but this is why I started this post. SHEER FRUSTRATION.

Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:34 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

MsDivaKate wrote:
Well I am guessing you are student that thinks that had this happen at your highschool and it might of. But Do you know for sure that he or she plaed favorites. Has your director actually said that. When I was in Highschool. We had alot of people say our director played favorites. I guarentee you he didnt. It just happened that some of the same people were cast as big roles acouple times in a row. Now he wasnt the choir director so he didnt no any of us except through theatre. The people being cast were always good - amazing. But then again we had people say oh the leads suck I had mainy people tell me I was much better than her blah blah blah. Well my senior year we had a brand new director come in because our old one moved away. No one knew this person. All the kids complaining about the last director playing favorites were excited because they felt that it was a new slate for them. Well what happened is not what they planned most of the lead roles were cast with the last directors "favorites". Of course there were a ton of complaints. YOu can see my overall point to this story. No matter what school you go to even if the director is corrupt or not. People are always going to find some reason they werent cast besides blaiming themselves.
Again I am not saying this didnt happen in your school. And I appologise for the preaching but this is why I started this post. SHEER FRUSTRATION.

Actually I had roles in high school and I am much older then high school age. But it was very common knowledge that our director did and still plays favourites. Some of the favourites were good and deserving of roles but many were not. He also cast based on "family name" aka who your parents are or who your siblings were in high school. He doesn't try to hide it but he never comes right out and says things either. He's a very dedicated man who has the ability to achieve a lot with his students, however he could achieve more if the casting wasn't so corrupt. I still go to see the musical my old high school puts on every year (and still knowing a few people in the high school from doing community theatre with them) I find that each year there are at least 1 or 2 leads or supporting leads who are quite questionable.

Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:17 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Yeah ok, I would say he casts favorites. Didnt mean to snip at you. I recently went through this with a couple kids with a show I am helping with.

Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:02 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Yeah ok, I would say he casts favorites. Didnt mean to snip at you. I recently went through this with a couple kids with a show I am helping with.

Its alright. I'm just disgusted by much of the corruption in the casting of the shows and the choreographer who casts the dancers is even worse then the director. My sister is in grade 11 and had been cast as a dancer for the past 2 years (she was the only Freshman dancer when she was in grade 9 and one of the few from grade 10 the next year). This year she received a callback for the roles of Irene and Ermengarde (they are doing Hello Dolly) but was not cast. She wasn't upset because she figured she had dancer to look back on because at the dance auditions there were only a few girls from grade 12 (and they had never done the show before/weren't part of the music department), she's had a good background as a dancer there before, and has been cast as a dancer in musicals since she was 9 (some professional productions). The cast list went up and she was not cast as a dancer. Turns out, even the director had no idea (he didn't get to see the dancer list before it went up) or so he told her when she went in to speak with him today to find out what she could do differently for next year, as she didn't understand why she had been cast in ensemble after being a dancer for 2 years. The director seemed pretty upset and said he would speak with the choreographer, but nothing will be done. The choreographer chooses mostly girls from her own dance studio, dispite the fact that the teaching and technique there is poor as they aren't a competition level as the studio where my sister and studios of where the better dancers in the show study.

So how's that for known favouritism...its so frustrating.

Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:29 pm
I know that at least a bit of favoritism is in play at my school. For the fall play, our director refused to cast anyone in lead roles unless he'd worked with them before. I sort of understand that, but it's not really fair to the other people who may be really talented but haven't yet worked with that director.

The show, though, turned out great, and the leads who were cast were fantastic. The guys, though, had it much easier, as a LOT less of them auditioned.

Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:07 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I know that at least a bit of favoritism is in play at my school. For the fall play, our director refused to cast anyone in lead roles unless he'd worked with them before. I sort of understand that, but it's not really fair to the other people who may be really talented but haven't yet worked with that director.

The show, though, turned out great, and the leads who were cast were fantastic. The guys, though, had it much easier, as a LOT less of them auditioned.
Actualy that happens alot. IF I havnt worked with a person before (unless I am working with a brand new venue) it is really tough to cast them in a lead roll. Some one has to give an amazing audition that way. Mainly because I have been burned mainy times because I have casted a brand new person in a lead role. Where they didnt show up to rehersals, they quit on me, or there not as dedicated as the rest of the cast. Now if I work with a person like chorus or even crew wise. I can sense someones dedication like that. Thats why when you audition and dont make it, do crew work. If you get in as chorus dont slack off and complain it reflects bad on you. Would you cast someone like that in the next show? If you work hard or help out with other shows directors get to know you. That is one of the reasons its so tough when you are an underclassman to get big roles.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:36 am
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Performer
my advice to anyone who is talented and feels they are getting sh*t on in high school theatrew is to start auditioning for regional and community theatre productions and get out od the high school atmosphere when doing theatre.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:45 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next