The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
High School Audition Guide 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Current Obsession: Shaw
Main Role: Performer
the reality is high school theatre scene IS very political, and I'd like to remind fellow high schoolers that if the politics involved keep people from getting parts, not to be discouraged. Would you think that someone singing Happy Birthday for a West Side Story audition would gain a part whereas someone went to great length choosing their audition song didn't? No. But that's what happened to me. So, as hard as it can be, remember there is still theatre outside of school and not to let one audition/theatre determine the rest of your life. :)

I would have to agree. Amateur theatre in general is very political, really. I can actually relate to you a bit on the West Side Story thing. I sang "If Ever I Would Leave You" from Camelot for an audition for a community theatre production of WSS, aiming for ensemble, and a fellow guy in my group sang The National Anthem. He was neither white nor Hispanic. Yet he was cast and I wasn't. #-o

Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:45 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Last edited by kangarookid on Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:40 am

Main Role: Other...
I'll listen to the videos later (I'm in a hurry, sorry!) but one tip I can definitely say is pick a song (I'll think about it) that shows your ability to blend. Typically, select ensembles, when auditioning like to see how people blend with each other....

Again, I'll think of something later...

Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:40 am
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I'll listen to the videos later (I'm in a hurry, sorry!) but one tip I can definitely say is pick a song (I'll think about it) that shows your ability to blend. Typically, select ensembles, when auditioning like to see how people blend with each other....

Again, I'll think of something later...

Thanks for the tip :]

Short Term Dreams:
Make the madrigals (choir)
Make the rhythmic gymnastics team
Long Term Dreams:
Work for Disney
Nala -The Lion King

Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:45 am

Main Role: Other...
You're welcome! :) I can't think of a song, though, after I thought for awhile ... I'm surprised they don't make you just sight read stuff on the spot.

Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Helllooo. I'd just like to say that I'm aware that not only am I a shameless newb to this forum (this is literally my first post), I am also a freshman in highschool, and would like to tell (the abbreviated version of) my story.

Until this year, my high school didn't have a drama program. I go to a fairly small school (my high school has a grand total of 329 students enrolled this year) and we're very much a sports town. The drama program was cut a little under a decade ago, and there were never enough drama kids around to throw a fit until last year.

We did, however, have a middleschool drama program, that consisted of the seventh and eighth grade class. We had an hour and a half every day for a quarter, and two or three Saturday four hour rehearsals.

In my seventh grade year, we put on Mulan Jr., and in eighth grade we put on Seussical Jr. First let me say that we had two people (both girls, and both seventh graders) participate in Mulan Jr. that were Asian. One of them, with a very soft, pretty but very Brittney Spears sort of voice won Mulan, while an eighth grader who's mother is very important and loud mouthed in the community won the other. Oh, yeah, that's right? Did I mention that we DOUBLE CAST in order to PROVIDE EVERYONE EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES? When I say double cast, I mean we literally split our six performances in half - and each cast gets three, while an ALL NEW CAST plays the other six. Please note that this consists of the same SEVENTY some-odd kids, just in completely different roles. :oops:

Now, speaking of corrupt. Our drama teacher is about as corrupt as they get. She openly admits that she went into teaching for the power. This year, we're putting on The King and I with one hundred and ten children between the grades of third and senior in the space of one semester, spanning both Thanksgiving and Christmas break.

Yeah, I just thought I'd let that sink in a little bit.

Well, this will become an obscenely long post if I let myself ramble any longer... So I'm going to get to the point. I'm a freshman, and there are eighteen high school drama students participating (therefore the most dedicated). So that you all won't think I'm tooting my own horn, I'll leave my own casting experiences out of this. I just believe that in cases where a freshman is far more talented and prepared then a senior, they should certainly get the part.

-Whew.- I feel better now! :D

---Cayenne

Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:11 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Hi there; I LOVE your post. It's so incredibly helpful. Now, my school is putting on BaTB for our spring musical, and it's always been my dream to play Belle. I have all of her songs, and the required audition readings memorized. Do you have any further suggestions?
Thank you!

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:59 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

I just believe that in cases where a freshman is far more talented and prepared then a senior, they should certainly get the part.

-Whew.- I feel better now! :D

---Cayenne

=D> =D> =D>
So true.

litchik227, it seems you're very prepared which is good. In fact, preparation helped me to get the part of Belle. Which song are you singing for the audition?

My question, in high school is it common to choose the same person for a lead for several years or do they do the "give everyone a go" thing? I got the lead this year but does that mean I probably won't get another lead?

Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:29 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

This is great! I"m a Freshman right now and auditions are really scary but also lots of fun. Luckily I'm friends with all the older people who audition and they always help me out. I was the only Freshman to try out for the Fall play and I got a pretty good part, of course, only 15 or so people auditioned ^__^

I LOVE auditions. Hate the waiting afterward, but I think auditions are really fun.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:53 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Now. I am a freshman, and just this year i have really started to get into theater. I mean i have down a few chorus-role summer musicals before, but this year its my main thing.

I went to my first audition in the fall for OUaM and thought that i'd be put in with all the other newbies according to this post. Turns out, i got callbacks for all the female leads and ended up being understudy for 2 of them, plus the biggest supporting role!!

Now when Romeo and Juliet came along, I wanted to be Juliet, but never really thought i had a chance, but im the understudy, and the director said the only thing seperating me and the girl who got Juliet was that she is a junior and i am a freshman.

Oh ya, our high school theater program is becoming one of the best in the state too.

I cant even imagine what it will be like when im a senior. :)

Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:50 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: The 1920s, Helena Bonham Carter, Idina Menzel
Main Role: Fan
Brilliant advice! For my first auditions ever, I thankfully was prepared, but I screwed up my song and just kept going. I made chorus, but...what was my point? I don't remember. Glad I know more dos and donts now though!

Thu May 20, 2010 6:18 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Current Obsession: The Bad Years, Assassins, OOTI.
I've spent my evening reading through this entire thread, and I'm glad someone has put this all up here. I'm really lucky to have been one of the freshmen to beat the odds. When I was a freshmen, my school was doing Into The Woods, and I ended up getting the part of Little Red Ridinghood. When I was a sophmore, I was double-cast with a junior as Marian Paroo in the Music Man. And this year, in my junior year, I got to be Lucy in 13 the Musical. Our director is astounding for how she casts her shows. She gives people the chance to break out of the parts they've usually been cast in, and roles are based on talent moreso than seniority. Everyone has to earn their parts, and if someone has a bad attitude in one of the shows, regardless of their talent, they're more than likely not going to be cast in the next show.
And now, I'm just giddy and excited. Our auditions for our musical for my senior year are next week. We're doing Aida. I would absolutely love to be Amneris or Aida, so here's hoping. Keep your fingers crossed for me. (:

Viola in Twelfth Night, & The Leader in Zorba!

Fri May 28, 2010 11:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next