The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
High School Audition Guide 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Team Starkid,Assassins,Elisabeth, Spring Awakening
Main Role: Performer
1. COME INTO AN AUDITION PREPARED.

Tell that to my high school. They're having auditions but they don't even know what show they are going to do. :roll:

I hate my high school.

Last edited by STRWBRRY on Sat May 08, 2010 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 09, 2009 10:40 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Into the Wild
So true DaddyDiesel! Some more advice to freshman: Don't burn yourself out! I man, yes, there are times when you work twice as hard as the older kids and get no recognition, but don't worry. You will get noticed eventually, but go with the flow. High school theatre, and even high school in general is a lot more fierce than you expect it to be. Just enjoy the ride and don't be afarid to make the upperclassmen just a little bit mad. Sometimes it feels good to school them in something they were supposed to teach you. :wink:

Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:06 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I cannot emphasise just how important it is to not give up hope.

My first audition was for a school production of Our Day Out by Willy Russell - I'd finally mustered up the courage to audition for one of the school plays, and judging by my drama teacher's reaction to my acting (she was also head honcho of the drama club), I thought I'd stand a chance.

I wasn't aware until the day of the audition that we were expected to prepare a verse or chorus of a song of our choosing. I gathered in the classroom with the other girls, and was blown away by their singing. One girl in particular, called Fe, had your typical Broadway belt and blew us all away with "And All That Jazz".

I got up there and totally blew it. XD;

I was cast as Shopkeeper, and felt all hope slowly deflate. It was my own fault for expecting a large part, but then I realized that the most important thing really was just taking part. There's nothing more rewarding than knowing you went out on stage and gave it your all.

In any case, about a week before our opening night, the girl who was playing Susan (one of the lead female roles) fell ill or broke her leg, and was unable to perform. I was cast in her place, and seemed to win the respect of my drama teacher for learning all her lines in 7 days.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:08 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Post Your Opinion??
I'm a sophomore, and am going to audition for Guys and Dolls at my high school this year. I'm super excited about doing the show- for even if I get chorus that most likely means I'm a hotbox girl, which looks like tons of fun... Nonetheless.

I know you told sophomores to be patient, and that we're almost there as far as getting the larger roles, so is it so wrong to go for Sarah in Guys and Dolls?

Our high school averages 50+ people at auditions, 40% of which is freshman. Most all girls auditioning will most likely have their heart set on Adelaide from the beginning, and will prepare for that part.

My director always picks out two-three 16 bar song excerpts, one set for girls, and one for boys, and makes us choose from those to sing instead of allowing us to choose our own.

I'm confident in my singing ability for the part, I was just wondering what I should expect. Or, if you have any tips to help me stand out as Sarah:) Thanks. Amazing Post by the way! I re-read it before every audition I go to, just to refresh myself on some great advice!
-CayleeJo

Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:01 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Main Role: Other...
I have a friend who just defied seniority and is Aldonza in Man of La mancha. As a freshman.

Do the best you can. Act professional. Hmm...what else...

Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Thank you for the complments! Absolutely go for sarah. I think there is a section in my original post about being ambitious. I think Going for that part would be great for you.

As for tips on getting sara, I dont know the show extremely well...So all I can say is Research the part as much as you can. FInd out what she is about. I have seen the show done a few times and from what I remember of Sarah is the actreess's playing her never really understood the charactor. For sarah I think you need to know what motivates her charactor to do the things she does. Why is she involved in the missionary? why does she hate gambling? What attracts her to SKy? That may not all be in the script so create a backstory and go with it.

Break legs let us know how it goes!

Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:54 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

this may/may not be a stupid question, i'm sorry if it is.

i auditioned for hello dolly today, and during my song, my voice cracked, and then all of the sudden i panicked and couldn't remember any of the other lyrics. it was ruined.

is it a bad idea to go to the director tomorrow (she's also my chemistry teacher) and ask for another shot at the song?

patty- grease.

next audition:
daemon of darby castle- (?)

current:
townsperson- hello dolly!
(:

Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:56 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Usually i would suggest against it. But if you feel it will help your current position go for it. But yeah I would suggest against it.

Everybodys voice cracks at some point in an audition. Remember to just shake it off and move on.

Hope all goes well
~ D

Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:58 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Hey I have an audition this December for the show Godspell. I don't know what part to audition for. I'm freshman but (not to be conceited) my voice is better than most of the sophomore girls there (I know, experience usually comes before ability but I just thought I'd point it out.) I have a mature look for my age too and I do have experience (I was Belle in Beauty and the Beast). I don't know what I should sing for my audition either. I have a lot of classical songs that I've worked on with my voice teacher. Even though I know they most of them aren't very Godspell-y, here are the songs:

Far From the Home I Love
So In Love
Goodnight My Someone
What I Did For Love
All That Jazz
Defying Gravity
The Wizard And I

And here are some songs I know that I like and could possibly use if I can find the sheet music:
Spark of Creation
Astonishing
Home
A Change in Me
Reflection
Just Around The Riverbend
Part of Your World

I have no idea if any of these are good for Godspell and I REALLY want to impress the director so PLEASEEE tell me if there's a song that I didn't list that I should use or which one on the list I should use and which part I should go for? Thanks so much!!!

Past Shows:
Godspell- Ensemble
12 Angry Jurors(Men)- Juror # 11
Beauty and The Beast: Belle (yay!)
Alice and Wonderland: Lily
High School Musical: Thespian (with a dance solo!)

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:32 am

Main Role: Other...
Defying Gravity
The Wizard And I

Those three are "overdone"/not that great for auditions.

Spark of Creation, if you could find it, may work only because it kinda fits it more than the others....

I don't know.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:47 am
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I have auditions for thoroughly Modern Millie in december for my high school. for monolgue choice, they want one from a musical, but would also like one from the musical so they could see us as that character.

I am trying out for Miss Flannery, but I don't think she has any monolgues. Does anyone know of a monologue that would fit her character?

Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:29 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

Current Obsession: The Current Bway Season; A Little Night Music
Far From the Home I Love
Defying Gravity
The Wizard And I

Those three are "overdone"/not that great for auditions.

Spark of Creation, if you could find it, may work only because it kinda fits it more than the others....

I don't know.

I'd also like to add that Spark of Creation is by the same composer as Godspell (Stephen Schwartz), so I think that would also be a good choice. :)

In addition, even though as a sophomore I've yet to fully accept this myself, the reality is high school theatre scene IS very political, and I'd like to remind fellow high schoolers that if the politics involved keep people from getting parts, not to be discouraged. Would you think that someone singing Happy Birthday for a West Side Story audition would gain a part whereas someone went to great length choosing their audition song didn't? No. But that's what happened to me. So, as hard as it can be, remember there is still theatre outside of school and not to let one audition/theatre determine the rest of your life. :)

Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next