The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next
High School Audition Guide 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Oh my God I am so scared. Tomorrow are the vocal auditions for our musical - Bye Bye Birdie - and I'm going to audition for Mrs. MacAfee (Kim's mom). I had no idea until two hours ago that we were supposed to choose a song that "represents our character". I don't know what song would be fitting for her anyways, she's not that important in the musical. So I guess I'll just stick with the song I've been practicing over and over for the last week - "For Good" from Wicked. I will sing the second verse, which is sung by Elphaba (I am an alto, so I can reach her notes - yay!). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQJaZO2nfGg (2:21 to 3:27) - I asked my director specifically about how much to sing.

Anyways, I feel like I'm well-informed about the play.
I have the music on my computer and have most of the words memorized, actually (I didn't learn them or anything, I just listened to the music a lot). Every day, I have a different BBB song stuck in my head and have to keep humming it, lol.
I watched the movies - both of them, the 1963 and the 1995 version.
I read the script.
I have been looking up stuff about it on the Internet (like this forum) like crazy.
But - my director doesn't know that.

I hope he doesn't do this thing where he finds out how wide your vocal range is - mine sucks.

I really want to be in this musical, this is my first and only chance. I am a sophomore, but I won't be here next year, and I wasn't last year because I'm a foreign exchange student (but my English is practically fluent and my accent isn't that bad, in case you were wondering about that).
I guess my chances aren't that bad, because I'm in Drama (my director's the teacher) and in our school chorus, Golden Voices (my director' the director) and I'm friends with like the whole department and I always hang out in the choral room at lunch (he'll take this whole who-will-get-along-with-who thing into account).

I guess I just had to tell someone about that...

And I was wondering:
I'm going to try out for Mrs. MacAfee, Kim's mom. She's not really a major role. I don't know if I'll get that part, of course, so I was wondering: Should I put Alice on the form, too? (Alice is a chorus girl with some speaking lines - the speaking lines are really important to me, I don't want to be a chorus-only girl.)
I was just worried if the director would think that, if I put Alice on there, it would mean that I didn't want Mrs. MacAfee that bad, and he could just give Mrs. MacAfee to someone else.
OR if I didn't put it on there, and I wasn't good enough for Mrs. MacAfee, he'd just give me some chorus part without speaking lines, and that would suck.

What should I do?
I'm confused. And nervous, already.
8O 8O 8O

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:09 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Parts like alice is somthing usually a highschool director doesnt really worry about. they are you basic ensemble roles and are filled alot easier than your supporting and lead parts. I would put on your audition form that you are interested in auditioing for the role of Mrs. Macafee, but would except any other role offered.

Relax. Have fun. "For good" wouldnt be my first choice but if you know and sing it well, it doesnt matter to much.

Break legs let us know how it goes.

Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:34 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I was like really scared and my tempo and breathing sucked (did I mention pauses?) and my voice was kind of - shaking? I have no idea if I hit all the notes (I guess not).
And after that, they were just like "That's it" (because they had wanted other people to sing scales etc.) and "Thank you" and "Have a nice day". Apparently, they commented - positively - on like all the other ones, things like "Why aren't you in chorus, you should try out next year", "Exceptional", "Excellent, excellent" or at least "Don't forget to check the Callback Sheet tomorrow". Well, our stage manager said they lied, but I think that was just to make me feel better. Argh.
Well, the part I'm auditioning for doesn't have too much solo singing. It's not like I can't sing, I just need someone to sing along with (like in chorus).
*screaming smiley*
Well, I'll just have to check the Callback Sheet tomorrow (if I'm not on there, it doesn't even necessarily mean I'm not in the musical...) - I hope I am, because my acting skills are waaay better than my (solo) singing skills.
I'll let you know if I make it!

Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:40 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

But that doesn't mean I'm not in the show. The audition information sheet he gave us said:
"Will there be Callbacks?
Callbacks will be posted on the door. If you have been called back it does not necessarily mean you are up for a lead role. It simply means that the panel was unable to make a solid decision in where to place you. NOT being called back doesn't necessarily mean you did not get a lead."
(Our director defines "lead roles" not as "the people who are the main characters" but as "every character that has a name and speaking lines and is not part of the ensemble/chorus" - I don't know if that's how you define it, maybe I'm wrong...)
He doesn't let everyone go to the acting audition because it's Cold Reading and would take a lot of time...
We had 58 people audition vocally, and the cast will be 30 - 40 people, he said. 25, maybe 30, were called back (I didn't count) so... :? I don't know. I'll find out on monday.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:36 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

^^^ never ended up hearing how it went. I hope for the best. Just remember we have good auditions and bad ones. Somting I always have to tell myself. As actors we have little control over the outcome of an audition. Its completely up to what the director likes and needs. Its sometimes doesnt matter if you have a good audition or a bad audition. (which we all have a mixture of) Somtimes you get great parts out of the bad ones and nothing out of the good ones. Its my firm belief that we have very little control over getting cast or not. The little, we have control over, is being prepared, constantly working to better our craft, and having fun with what we are doing.

Again I hope for the best.

DD

Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:32 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thank goodness my last high school auditions are over. I'm so glad this is my last show in high school, because even though I've had some amazing experiences in drama club, there is a lot of corruption. The director, though I love her to death, blatantly uses favoritism. (I can say this honestly because I've finally worked my way up to becoming one of the favorites. I mean, yes, it's partly because I've worked hard, but partly just because I've gotten her to like me by acting sweet and talking to her all the time.)

Also, there is always cattiness going on where certain girls are concerned. I love most of the girls like my sisters, but there are some who are always stirring up backstage drama if you know what I mean. Like, the officers (all girls) choose the shows they think they'll get leads in, and don't tell the rest of us what show we're doing till the day before auditions. Somehow competition is never a problem with the guys (partly because all the guys who audition always get cast, but also because guys are just less catty).

But yeah, I finally got a really good role: Madame Dubonnet in The Boy Friend. Unfortunately, every time I try to do the French accent it comes out Russian because my last role was the Grand Duchess Olga Katrina in YCTIWY, and I'm still used to doing that! But whatever, I'll work on it.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but yeah. Can't wait to switch from HS theatre to college theatre.

Also, I'm auditioning for a community theatre production of BATB next. I think I want to go for a Silly Girl, or possibly Belle u/s (I know there's no possibility of me getting the actual role). I'm a mezzo soprano. What would be a good song to sing?

Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:33 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I've returned to my high school theatre program again this year and...oh boy, I didn't know how these kind of politics could mess with people's brains and make them such divas. It's actually pretty ridiculous. We're doing Our Town and our Mr. and Mrs. Webb can get very irritating. Ugh. They're so catty and think that they are the most experienced people in there, when in reality, they're no better than the rest of us. Especially our Mrs. Webb. She will be nice and talk to you and everything and the next she will ignore you, get an attitude, and prance around as if she were Patti Lupone. Haha, please. People like that need to get over themselves and realize they're in HIGH SCHOOL theatre, not Broadway. There's a fine, fine line bewteen being professional and being a douche. Sorry.

As you can see, favoritism and seniority are definitely a thing at my school but I've learned how to take this kind of thing. I know I'll be grateful once I'm a senior and have worked my butt off backstage and being the director's right hand man. For now, off to help out with props, I guess...

(Sorry. This post was more of a rant. But there are a couple of things in there somewhere...I think.)

Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:10 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

^^^ never ended up hearing how it went. I hope for the best. Just remember we have good auditions and bad ones. Somting I always have to tell myself. As actors we have little control over the outcome of an audition. Its completely up to what the director likes and needs. Its sometimes doesnt matter if you have a good audition or a bad audition. (which we all have a mixture of) Somtimes you get great parts out of the bad ones and nothing out of the good ones. Its my firm belief that we have very little control over getting cast or not. The little, we have control over, is being prepared, constantly working to better our craft, and having fun with what we are doing.

Again I hope for the best.

DD

Oh, sorry, I forgot.

I ended up being in the ensemble (I was listed under "Extras in Crowd Scenes" 8O ) but that's alright, I get to sing and dance with the others, and I'm a parent, and I have two lines (I claimed them first, so now they're mine lol)!

And, most importantly, I get to spend time with my friends (my friends = our Performind Arts Department... we're like a big family ). :lol:

Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:52 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

^^ Congrats!! Have tons of funa nd break a leg!!

Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:13 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

So can relate to the whole, don't sing common songs!

Auditions for NUNcrackers, woman goes on stage, tells the directors she's gonna sing Popular from wicked, says she just heard the song for the first time today, and it may be a little shaky. She had an AMAZING voice. The directors barely aknoldged her. I was sitting in the row behind them, and they were talking about their kids baseball game! She ended up getting a role in the ensamble.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:07 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:35 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next