The Resource For Musicals



Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum


Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
High School Audition Guide 
Author Message
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:21 am
Posts: 647
Location: Minnesota
Post 
jazzygirlsings wrote:
Sometimes common sense is the last thing one thinks of when the audition list goes up! LOL!
Apparently so. I wish everybody could experience shows from a director side of view at least once. The next show I help with I am keeping a tally on how many times someone sings Happy birthday. I swear it was like 15 people. I swear we almost cast this girl because she was hilarious. We had a gentleman just get done with Happy birthday and this girl walked up right after him for her audtion and she says, "That bastard stole my song." LOL I had to leave I was laughing so hard (under my clip board and silently). What made it so funny was she was serious. We didnt cast her. If it was a joke than it would of been a differant story.

_________________
Image


Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:27 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 9:26 am
Posts: 986
Location: New York,NY
Post Re: High School Audition Guide
DaddyDiesel wrote:
"I didn't have proper time to prepare." this is a terrible excuse. Musicals are decided and auditions are posted at least two monthes before hand.



While that is a terrible excuse, its not true that all schools decide their musicals and post auditions at least two months prior. At the school I came from and the school my sister still attends the musical is announced the week before auditions. So those auditioning for leads have approximately 5 days to prepare.


Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:41 pm
Profile
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:32 am
Posts: 40
Post 
Question: The director at my high school doesn't decide what show to put on until everyone has auditioned, so that she can see how much talent she has to choose from and how many people would fit the lead characters' voice types. At the audition, everyone sings the same song, and we don't know what song it is until we get to the audition. Any tips for preparing for this type of audition?

Sorry that was a long question!

_________________
Favorite Performances:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peter Pan (Jane)
The Wizard of Oz (Glinda)
Beauty and the Beast (Chip)
Annie (Lily)
Cinderella (Cinderella)
The Sound of Music (Liesl)


Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:06 pm
Profile
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:02 pm
Posts: 175
Location: Here=]
Post 
alexxboyle wrote:
Question: The director at my high school doesn't decide what show to put on until everyone has auditioned, so that she can see how much talent she has to choose from and how many people would fit the lead characters' voice types. At the audition, everyone sings the same song, and we don't know what song it is until we get to the audition. Any tips for preparing for this type of audition?

Sorry that was a long question!


Hmm.. that's hard. Are they teaching you the song before you audition? If so, I'd advise you to listen closely when they teach you what to sing, even if you know the song already because they might teach you a different way. Don't talk to anyone around you - stay focused and ask questions if necessary. When it's time for you to audition, make sure you know the song really well so that you won't be nervous and if possible, try to look away from the words so that you can express yourself better.

_________________
Is: Auditions!
Favorite Roles: Winnifred, Peggy Sawyer, Ado Annie, Gertrude McFuzz, Annie, Bonnie, Sally Brown, Columbia, & Lois Lane


Last edited by bwaybrunette21 on Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:29 pm
Profile
Post 
DaddyDiesel wrote:
Wither wrote:
Thanks for the tips, my audition for B&TB is next friday.
Since you helped cast, would you mind telling me what you were looking for in Babette?
Thank you.
We didnt find to many girls who were fully prepared for this part. I think almost every girl and there gold fishes cousin tried out for Belle or Mrs. Pots. I think we had maybe five girls audition for Babbette. 2 were well prepared, A sophmore and a Junior. They had great auditions and made it to call backs. But unfortanently the softmore had problems with comic timing compared to the others and the other had an excellent accent and timing but could only act with her voice. There was a girl that originally auditioned for Belle and we had her read for babette. She made call backs. Came fully prepared for babette and was amazing. Accent, timing, and characterization were spot on. There were a few things that were not up to par but were very coachable. She ended up with Babbette. Oddly enough this girl was a freshman. So she was a part of that 5%. BUt she was very prepared for Belle when she came and in her callbacks she was amazingly prepared for a totally differant charactor. The other two girls we cast as silly girls.

We were not to overly worried about the voice for the Charactor. she does have one solo and some harmonizing. But, we were more worried about Characterization, comic timing, and Accent. If I were you I would read the script on www.simplyscripts.com. Especially the bit between babette and lumierre. If you can get a good feeling for the timing there excellent. Work on your accent, innocent yet provacative French accent. The one line in the animated movie is what your aiming for. Make sure it works for you though. This charactor has alot of body language. She will say I dont like you but her body language is telling us somthing differant. Sounds wierd but if you can get that you are on your way..


Thanks a lot! I will repost tomorrow afternoon when I recieve the audition materials.


Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:06 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:21 am
Posts: 647
Location: Minnesota
Post 
alexxboyle wrote:
Question: The director at my high school doesn't decide what show to put on until everyone has auditioned, so that she can see how much talent she has to choose from and how many people would fit the lead characters' voice types. At the audition, everyone sings the same song, and we don't know what song it is until we get to the audition. Any tips for preparing for this type of audition?

Sorry that was a long question!
That is a very interesting way of auditioning. Umm I dont have a ton of advice for this situation. BUt maybe some other people do. If you get the song before hand I would get characterization down for that son g as much as you can. If they give you the song at the audition dont worry about messing up the words there will be plenty of people doing that. Just try and get into the charactor a little bit.

_________________
Image


Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:50 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:21 am
Posts: 647
Location: Minnesota
Post Re: High School Audition Guide
MsDivaKate wrote:
DaddyDiesel wrote:
"I didn't have proper time to prepare." this is a terrible excuse. Musicals are decided and auditions are posted at least two monthes before hand.



While that is a terrible excuse, its not true that all schools decide their musicals and post auditions at least two months prior. At the school I came from and the school my sister still attends the musical is announced the week before auditions. So those auditioning for leads have approximately 5 days to prepare.
Will In most of the produtions I have been around they usually decide at least 2 monthes before and post it. But auditionee's should never use the excuse either way. PLus they have 5 days? Should be enough time to put togethor a decent audition.

_________________
Image


Last edited by DaddyDiesel on Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.



Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:52 pm
Profile
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:21 pm
Posts: 19
Post 
Wow, awesome post DaddyDiesel. Do you mind if I print it off and bring it to the High School here? lol, they're having auditions soon.

As for the guys getting on easier than the girls, TOTALLY TRUE! haha in my first musical, I just went up to the music director and said I was interested. I was immediately casted and didnt have to audition haha, well minor parts of course :P And we also had a %5 freshman here, plus he was a guy, he auditioned and was casted the main villain.

As for the next musical however I did have to audition, to make it fair afterall. I wasn't prepared. I went in and did my audition, I did a solo improv skit plus sang "Those Magic Changes" since it was Grease I was auditioning for. I messed up the song and I'm a weak singer (to me anyways) but I did not come up with a stupid excuse, I just left it as it was, plus I didn't tell them that I was unprepared. Keep in mind we had MORE boys auditioned that year. Anyways I was casted as Sonny. I had it because the directors were impresed with my acting ability, she said it was strong and memorable. So yay haha.

Anyhoo I would love to print this out and bring it to the High School, even though I graduated two years ago, I still really support them and want to ask if I could help out again. Maybe be assist director, that would be awesome, new experience.


Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:52 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:21 am
Posts: 647
Location: Minnesota
Post 
theater_nut wrote:
Wow, awesome post DaddyDiesel. Do you mind if I print it off and bring it to the High School here? lol, they're having auditions soon.

As for the guys getting on easier than the girls, TOTALLY TRUE! haha in my first musical, I just went up to the music director and said I was interested. I was immediately casted and didnt have to audition haha, well minor parts of course :P And we also had a %5 freshman here, plus he was a guy, he auditioned and was casted the main villain.

As for the next musical however I did have to audition, to make it fair afterall. I wasn't prepared. I went in and did my audition, I did a solo improv skit plus sang "Those Magic Changes" since it was Grease I was auditioning for. I messed up the song and I'm a weak singer (to me anyways) but I did not come up with a stupid excuse, I just left it as it was, plus I didn't tell them that I was unprepared. Keep in mind we had MORE boys auditioned that year. Anyways I was casted as Sonny. I had it because the directors were impresed with my acting ability, she said it was strong and memorable. So yay haha.

Anyhoo I would love to print this out and bring it to the High School, even though I graduated two years ago, I still really support them and want to ask if I could help out again. Maybe be assist director, that would be awesome, new experience.
Well as long as you dont take credit for it knock yourself out. I know there is a copy hanging in my old alma matter (spelling?). Of course I go up there and help out every once in a while.

_________________
Image


Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:39 am
Profile
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:21 pm
Posts: 19
Post 
DaddyDiesel wrote:
theater_nut wrote:
Wow, awesome post DaddyDiesel. Do you mind if I print it off and bring it to the High School here? lol, they're having auditions soon.

As for the guys getting on easier than the girls, TOTALLY TRUE! haha in my first musical, I just went up to the music director and said I was interested. I was immediately casted and didnt have to audition haha, well minor parts of course :P And we also had a %5 freshman here, plus he was a guy, he auditioned and was casted the main villain.

As for the next musical however I did have to audition, to make it fair afterall. I wasn't prepared. I went in and did my audition, I did a solo improv skit plus sang "Those Magic Changes" since it was Grease I was auditioning for. I messed up the song and I'm a weak singer (to me anyways) but I did not come up with a stupid excuse, I just left it as it was, plus I didn't tell them that I was unprepared. Keep in mind we had MORE boys auditioned that year. Anyways I was casted as Sonny. I had it because the directors were impresed with my acting ability, she said it was strong and memorable. So yay haha.

Anyhoo I would love to print this out and bring it to the High School, even though I graduated two years ago, I still really support them and want to ask if I could help out again. Maybe be assist director, that would be awesome, new experience.
Well as long as you dont take credit for it knock yourself out. I know there is a copy hanging in my old alma matter (spelling?). Of course I go up there and help out every once in a while.



haha no no I won't take the credit ;) no worries.


Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:22 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 9:26 am
Posts: 986
Location: New York,NY
Post Re: High School Audition Guide
DaddyDiesel wrote:
MsDivaKate wrote:
DaddyDiesel wrote:
"I didn't have proper time to prepare." this is a terrible excuse. Musicals are decided and auditions are posted at least two monthes before hand.



While that is a terrible excuse, its not true that all schools decide their musicals and post auditions at least two months prior. At the school I came from and the school my sister still attends the musical is announced the week before auditions. So those auditioning for leads have approximately 5 days to prepare.
Will In most of the produtions I have been around they usually decide at least 2 monthes before and post it. But auditionee's should never use the excuse either way. PLus they have 5 days? Should be enough time to put togethor a decent audition.


I agreed with you that it was not a proper excuse. Maybe in your area musicals are announced many months prior, but where I come from the schools usually decide the shows and have auditions soon after. 5 days is enough time to prepare, but I was just making it known that not everyone gets 2 months to decide things.


Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:54 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:21 am
Posts: 647
Location: Minnesota
Post 
yeah I suppose every school is differant. The few I have worked with all have done it this way. But latly I am hearing stories of schools giving alot less time.

_________________
Image


Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:04 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 258 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.