Musicals.Net
http://musicals.net/forums/

If you're auditioning for ________, don't sing ________
http://musicals.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=50443
Page 1 of 20

Author:  Musicals.Net [ Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:55 pm ]
Post subject:  If you're auditioning for ________, don't sing ________

Welcome to the Official Musicals.Net

"If you're auditioning for _________, don't sing _______" Thread!

Here's how it works:
  1. Click "Post Reply"
  2. Put the title of the show (and character name if it applies) in the Subject
  3. List the songs (composers, genres, etc.) in the Message Body

That's it!

Author:  CYTthespian [ Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

if you're auditioning for any show, don't sing a song from that show unless asked to.

if you're auditioning for into the woods, don't sing a song by sondheim (again, unless asked to).

Author:  MaryMag [ Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:31 am ]
Post subject: 

If you're auditioning for anything don't sing Wicked, Phantom of the Opera, or Les Miserables simply because the songs are extremely overdone.

I don't say this just because I've read it in several books and articles. I say this because at every open audition I've been to, I've heard at least half the girls sing something from these shows. In larger and more professional auditions, casting directors will sometimes specifically request in the audition notice that you not sing any Andrew Lloyd Weber, etc.

Author:  <3Wilson<3 [ Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:42 am ]
Post subject: 

If your auditioning for anything don't sing any song form Rent.


Like Mary I have read this in many articles.

Author:  jazzygirlsings [ Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:14 am ]
Post subject: 

If you're auditioning for anything, don't use songs by JRB, Guettel, Lippa, Sondheim (unless they specifically ask you to) because it is close to IMPOSSIBLE for the pianist to read and it will ruin your audition experience!

You can find other things that fit well in your voice that are easier for the pianist to play...The pianist is part of your audition...DON'T FORGET THAT!

Author:  Baker [ Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:28 am ]
Post subject: 

If you're auditioning for anything don't sing Over the Rainbow or anything from The Sound of Music.

Author:  Chevstriss [ Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

If you're auditioning for WE WILL ROCK YOU, don't sing R & H.

Author:  jazzygirlsings [ Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:58 am ]
Post subject: 

Chevstriss wrote:
If you're auditioning for WE WILL ROCK YOU, don't sing R & H.


LMAO!

And visa versa!

Author:  Chevstriss [ Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:14 am ]
Post subject: 

jazzygirlsings wrote:
Chevstriss wrote:
If you're auditioning for WE WILL ROCK YOU, don't sing R & H.


LMAO!

And visa versa!


and yet it happens. many MANY females walked in and sang "If I loved You" & "People will say We're In Love" for the members of Queen.

Author:  jazzygirlsings [ Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

Chevstriss wrote:
jazzygirlsings wrote:
Chevstriss wrote:
If you're auditioning for WE WILL ROCK YOU, don't sing R & H.


LMAO!

And visa versa!


and yet it happens. many MANY females walked in and sang "If I loved You" & "People will say We're In Love" for the members of Queen.


YIKES! 8O

You would think people (especially on YOUR level) would know better! I'm shocked!

Well...I guess that means less competition for the rest of us!

Author:  Chevstriss [ Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:44 am ]
Post subject: 

jazzygirlsings wrote:
Chevstriss wrote:
jazzygirlsings wrote:
Chevstriss wrote:
If you're auditioning for WE WILL ROCK YOU, don't sing R & H.


LMAO!

And visa versa!


and yet it happens. many MANY females walked in and sang "If I loved You" & "People will say We're In Love" for the members of Queen.


YIKES! 8O

You would think people (especially on YOUR level) would know better! I'm shocked!

Well...I guess that means less competition for the rest of us!


the deal w/ that show is, every character is hi school age, so they always have open calls searching for younger and younger people. Rent did the same thing. Most people don't get their cards til at least 22, and that is older than they are looking for, yet they aren't looking for "stage kids" w/ stage moms.

So many of the auditionees are coming to town for the first time hoping for their big break in a big open call of a big budget production . and any time you open that flood gate, you're gonna see alot of people who are simply clueless. Alot of the legit sopranos are thinking "I just want to be seen by Binder casting" not realizing they are coming off as stupid for wasting everyones time w/ the wrong voice type.

Author:  Mistosgurl [ Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:14 am ]
Post subject: 

If you're auditioning to get into Interlochen(Summer Music/musical theatre Program in Michigan(?) don't sing a showtune because they won't let you! They seriously won't let you sing anything from Broadway or West End! Which is actually good!

Page 1 of 20 All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/