The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next
If you're auditioning for ________, don't sing ________ 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Trying My Heart Belongs to Daddy and Willing to Ride

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:01 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Thanks Dvarg and Jazzy!
Trying My Heart Belongs to Daddy and Willing to Ride

Oops... I hope you did not misunderatand me :o

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots

Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:50 pm
Post Chicago: Roxy
i have no spefics in mind but am totally open for suggestions !!!! :)

Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:35 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

If you're auditioning for anything, don't sing songs that make the casting directors uncomfortable (such as the masturbation song from Rent or some of Aldonza's rather pessimistic songs about being a whore). The same goes for monologues. You don't always want to do a monologue about something really graphic or horrible. It may not show your range; it may just make the CD's wince.

If you're auditioning for anything, don't sing self-deprecatory songs (such as Mr. Cellophane from Chicago). This is not my personal opinion, it's just something I've gathered from several audition books.

Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:45 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

If you are auditioning for anything don't sing a song performed by a character you are too old or young to play

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:45 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

If your auditioning for You're a Good Man Charlie Brown, don't sing Good Night My Someone.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:48 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Current Obsession: Post-Modern Literature
If you're auditioning for anything, don't sing songs that make the casting directors uncomfortable (such as the masturbation song from Rent or some of Aldonza's rather pessimistic songs about being a whore). The same goes for monologues. You don't always want to do a monologue about something really graphic or horrible. It may not show your range; it may just make the CD's wince.

If you're auditioning for anything, don't sing self-deprecatory songs (such as Mr. Cellophane from Chicago). This is not my personal opinion, it's just something I've gathered from several audition books.

Mr. Cellophane is supposed to be comical. The movie screwed it up. I'd say its okay if you do it as originally meant.

If you are auditioning for a male part, don't sing a song sung by a girl.

Christina

Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:38 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Y'know I like "Mr. Cellophane". Character song. Fits my range well, yet I agree that it should NOT be used in auditions. Why sing a song in which you are DISSING yourself. As MaryMag said, "self-deprecatory songs". You're trying to make yourself look GOOD. This song does not do that. It shows that you have NO confidence... even if you do.

Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
i just want to point out the fact that even a slightly overused song (like cabaret or i cain't say no) can be good if you do them right.

Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:53 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

^^ I agree, but a question about this as a "general rule"--the song Roxie, from Chicago. I know it's probably WAAAAY overdone, but it's probably my best song as well. So should I sing it or not? Also, would it count as a ballad or up-tempo? I am not quite sure... :?

Thanks! :wink:

Maria, concert of West Side Story music
Lady Larken, OUaM
Upcoming Auditions:
Little Shop
Godspell

Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:32 pm
if you're auditioning for anything don't sing a song that isn't in your range

Amen! =D> Although I'm guilty of that myself. The problem is, I'm a high soprano, and trying to find songs that I can sing without having to go too low is nearly impossible for me (I sound so terrible when I go too low, as in the last note in I'm Not That Girl). Plus I really want to show the CD's what I've got (my top range is Christine's ending note in "Phantom" (the song). but I digress...

When auditioning for a"rock opera", such as Rent, don't sing a song from a generic musical, such as Phantom. (You shouldn't sing something from "Phantom", anyway, but that was just an example.

Idea- Sing something you know and are familiar with that isn't from another musical, unless the CD's specifically ask for that.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:05 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

When auditioning for a"rock opera", such as Rent, don't sing a song from a generic musical, such as Phantom. (You shouldn't sing something from "Phantom", anyway, but that was just an example.

Idea- Sing something you know and are familiar with that isn't from another musical, unless the CD's specifically ask for that.

Good idea And FYI/random fact, Idina used Bonnie Raitt's "Something to Talk About" as an audition song for "Rent".

Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next