The Resource For Musicals



Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum


Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next
If you're auditioning for ________, don't sing ________ 
Author Message
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 1:53 pm
Posts: 34
Post 
Thanks Dvarg and Jazzy!
Trying My Heart Belongs to Daddy and Willing to Ride

_________________
The Cameron Crazie <3


Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:01 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2002 4:55 am
Posts: 1957
Location: Norway
Post 
elleb~is~spiffy wrote:
Thanks Dvarg and Jazzy!
Trying My Heart Belongs to Daddy and Willing to Ride


Oops... I hope you did not misunderatand me :o

_________________
Image

Formerly known as Dvarg

\"Hans usually knows his shitt when it comes to theatre.\" - Salome

\"You all are f***ing crazy, except Hans, who is actually quite smart\" - Jennyanydots


Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:50 pm
Profile
Post Chicago: Roxy
i have no spefics in mind but am totally open for suggestions !!!! :)


Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:35 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:23 pm
Posts: 1273
Post 
If you're auditioning for anything, don't sing songs that make the casting directors uncomfortable (such as the masturbation song from Rent or some of Aldonza's rather pessimistic songs about being a whore). The same goes for monologues. You don't always want to do a monologue about something really graphic or horrible. It may not show your range; it may just make the CD's wince.

If you're auditioning for anything, don't sing self-deprecatory songs (such as Mr. Cellophane from Chicago). This is not my personal opinion, it's just something I've gathered from several audition books.


Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:45 am
Profile
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:19 am
Posts: 46
Post 
If you are auditioning for anything don't sing a song performed by a character you are too old or young to play


Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:45 am
Profile
Tony Winner
Tony Winner
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:22 am
Posts: 454
Location: middle of no where, OH
Post 
If your auditioning for You're a Good Man Charlie Brown, don't sing Good Night My Someone.

_________________
Current Role: Marian in The Music Man
Recent Roles: Queen Aggravain in Once Upon a Mattress, Sister Mary Amnesia in Nuncrackers
Image


Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:48 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:41 pm
Posts: 1373
Current Obsession: Post-Modern Literature
Post 
MaryMag wrote:
If you're auditioning for anything, don't sing songs that make the casting directors uncomfortable (such as the masturbation song from Rent or some of Aldonza's rather pessimistic songs about being a whore). The same goes for monologues. You don't always want to do a monologue about something really graphic or horrible. It may not show your range; it may just make the CD's wince.

If you're auditioning for anything, don't sing self-deprecatory songs (such as Mr. Cellophane from Chicago). This is not my personal opinion, it's just something I've gathered from several audition books.



Mr. Cellophane is supposed to be comical. The movie screwed it up. I'd say its okay if you do it as originally meant.




If you are auditioning for a male part, don't sing a song sung by a girl.


Christina


Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:38 pm
Profile
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:43 pm
Posts: 3365
Location: <310
Post 
Y'know I like "Mr. Cellophane". Character song. Fits my range well, yet I agree that it should NOT be used in auditions. Why sing a song in which you are DISSING yourself. As MaryMag said, "self-deprecatory songs". You're trying to make yourself look GOOD. This song does not do that. It shows that you have NO confidence... even if you do.


Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Post 
i just want to point out the fact that even a slightly overused song (like cabaret or i cain't say no) can be good if you do them right.


Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:53 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:19 am
Posts: 135
Location: The spotlight
Post 
^^ I agree, but a question about this as a "general rule"--the song Roxie, from Chicago. I know it's probably WAAAAY overdone, but it's probably my best song as well. So should I sing it or not? Also, would it count as a ballad or up-tempo? I am not quite sure... :?

Thanks! :wink:

_________________
Past Roles:
Yente, FotR
Lady Macbeth, Macbeth
Maria, concert of West Side Story music
Lady Larken, OUaM
Upcoming Auditions:
Little Shop
Godspell


Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:32 pm
Profile
Post 
audreydarling wrote:
if you're auditioning for anything don't sing a song that isn't in your range


Amen! =D> Although I'm guilty of that myself. The problem is, I'm a high soprano, and trying to find songs that I can sing without having to go too low is nearly impossible for me (I sound so terrible when I go too low, as in the last note in I'm Not That Girl). Plus I really want to show the CD's what I've got (my top range is Christine's ending note in "Phantom" (the song). but I digress...

When auditioning for a"rock opera", such as Rent, don't sing a song from a generic musical, such as Phantom. (You shouldn't sing something from "Phantom", anyway, but that was just an example.

Idea- Sing something you know and are familiar with that isn't from another musical, unless the CD's specifically ask for that.


Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:05 am
Off-Broadway Lead
Off-Broadway Lead

Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:59 pm
Posts: 233
Location: Canada
Post 
Quote:
When auditioning for a"rock opera", such as Rent, don't sing a song from a generic musical, such as Phantom. (You shouldn't sing something from "Phantom", anyway, but that was just an example.

Idea- Sing something you know and are familiar with that isn't from another musical, unless the CD's specifically ask for that.


Good idea And FYI/random fact, Idina used Bonnie Raitt's "Something to Talk About" as an audition song for "Rent".


Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:33 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.