The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next
If you're auditioning for ________, don't sing ________ 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:01 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Okay. I'm auditiong for Anne in Anne of Green Gables. Right now I have three songs I'm considering:
A Wonderful Guy- South Pacific (I'm leaning towards this one.)
Buenos Aires- Evita
By The Sea- Sweeney Todd.

Any suggestions? Please don't eat me for the Sondheim.

Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:08 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

If you are auditioning for anything, don't sing something Sutton Foster sang. There will be 50 other girls with the same song.

Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:38 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't sing "Good Morning Baltimore" for any audition.

I have heard this song sung at least five or six times in the past two auditions I've been at, and there weren't a lot of people there to begin with.

The song's great, it shows range, it shows character, but it's just ridiculously overdone right now, at least in my area.

Upcoming:
none

Past:
Twin #2 in Peter Pan, Milkmaid/Chorus in Oliver, Belinda in A Christmas Carol

Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:03 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Location: Duke University (but I left my heart in San Francisco)
I'm fairly new to this audtioning thing (usually, I just get asked to sing a song form the show, or I go with a Rizzo song from Grease), and I wanna branch out a tad. I've been thinking either As Long As He Needs Me from Oliver! or All the Men in my Life Keep Getting Killed by Candarian Demons from Evil Dead: The Musical.

Are these....acceptable? Is this even the right place for this question...?

Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:43 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:35 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Location: Duke University (but I left my heart in San Francisco)
Lol, great, I was hoping someone would say that. Now I just need to find sheet music....

Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:50 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Casting Director
Whatever your auditioning for never sing something the casting director/director/vocal director/producer popularised or is the song of their character
Same applies for dancing. Like Ann Reinking choreographing Hello Dolly and doing a Fosse-inspired routine

JUST A LITTLE BIT, JUST A LITTLE BIT

R-E-S-P-E-C-T project

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:23 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Auditioning for Your a Good Man, Charlie Brown
I'm a legit soprano with a serious vocal coach who is not interested in the "broadway belt". I really want Lucy (along with 200 other girls) for our local production. She wants me to use My White Knight or I Should Have Danced All Night for my audition. The director of the show wants me to "show alot personality". I am worried that these songs don't show off Lucy, but I can really nail these songs. Any suggestions???

Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:19 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Post Re: Auditioning for Your a Good Man, Charlie Brown
youngsoprano13 wrote:
I'm a legit soprano with a serious vocal coach who is not interested in the "broadway belt". I really want Lucy (along with 200 other girls) for our local production. She wants me to use My White Knight or I Should Have Danced All Night for my audition. The director of the show wants me to "show alot personality". I am worried that these songs don't show off Lucy, but I can really nail these songs. Any suggestions???

But Lucy's a belt role. An off-key belt role, but a belt role nonetheless. I can see Sally sung legit, but not Lucy.

PLEASE DON'T DO "I COULD HAVE DANCED ALL NIGHT." It's overdone and shows absolutely nothing that would make the casting director think you'd be suited for Lucy. "My White Knight" would actually be okay for a Lucy or Sally audition, I think, apart from the style.

If you can't tell, I'm hinting toward switching gears to Sally. You could go for Lucy, but I highly recommend if you do, use a belt song.

While it's insanely popular right now, I'd recommend looking at a few of the girls' songs from Hairspray. But please please pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't sing "Good Morning Baltimore." Way too overdone.

Perhaps "Cooties" from "Hairspray" would be an appropriate one?

Upcoming:
none

Past:
Twin #2 in Peter Pan, Milkmaid/Chorus in Oliver, Belinda in A Christmas Carol

Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:42 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Thanks so much. I think you're so right. How about I'm Not Afraid of Anything??? from Songs of the New World.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:27 pm

Is this a vocal coach or a vocal teacher? If it's a coach, they work for you, and you might want to consider taking your business elsewhere if they think "I Could Have Danced all Night" is a good Lucy song.

Don't do "I'm Not Afraid of Anything." That's a mature song, and you're auditioning for the part of a little girl.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next