The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
READ ME before you ask for audition help 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I'm honestly not sure if I should post this in this thread or not...
Anyways, I have an audition coming up for some Shakespear stuff, and my question is, is it more professional to pick my monologues from other shakespear work, or just from other shows? The lady I talked to said it didn't matter where is came from, but what is more professional?
By the way, this theatre only does Shakespear stuff.
Sorry if that doesn't make sense, I'm really tired and my mind is off in wherever.....

That's a good question! I would say to bring in a Shakespeare monologue, since that's all they do...(Shakespear"e" has an "e" on the end of it, for future reference...)

If they were doing other classical shows by Moliere or Ovid or something like that...then I would expand my monologue horizons to include works like that...(Antigone, Tartuffe, Metamorphoses, etc.)

Tue May 01, 2007 12:24 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Do you have any suggestions? I need two at least 1-minute monologues (1 comedic, 1 dramatic). The shows-You audition for both at the same time-are All's Well That Ends Well and Twelfth Night. The shows they did last year were Midsummer Night's Dream and The Taming of the Shrew so I was thinking no to anything from those. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~ I Corinthians 10:31

Tue May 01, 2007 8:07 pm
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

My suggestion would just be to go scan through a bunch of Shakespeare plays and find one you like. I would start with the plays you are familiar with and enjoy.

It is important that you pick monologues that you like and can really connect with so it is hard to suggest a monologue to someone. But as you said, I would stay away from the two shows they did last season as well as the two current productions. I would also steer clear of R&J and Macbeth stuff as those can be overdone.

Wed May 02, 2007 9:38 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

My suggestion would just be to go scan through a bunch of Shakespeare plays and find one you like. I would start with the plays you are familiar with and enjoy.

It is important that you pick monologues that you like and can really connect with so it is hard to suggest a monologue to someone. But as you said, I would stay away from the two shows they did last season as well as the two current productions. I would also steer clear of R&J and Macbeth stuff as those can be overdone.

Yes, Shakespeare, just like musicals and contemporary plays can be overdone as well. Off the top of my head, I believe the most overdone ones for women are from Taming of the Shrew, Romeo and Juliet, and Midsummer Night's Dream. But here's something from monolgueaudition.com that explains things further:

This list was compiled by a few of us including Walton Wilson, Head of Voice and Speech and Associate Chair of the Yale School of Drama; and Atlantic/NYU Shakespeare teacher Charles Tuthill, who also coaches many actors for graduate school auditions.

I asked Deloss Brown, who taught Shakespeare at Juilliard for years, and he said, “ The problem, dear, is that these are only overdone if you are an expert. When you properly present any of them to a bunch of people who haven't seen them before, they fall over in astonishment.”

I agree, and let me clarify – I think actors should work on ALL of these speeches; you probably just don't want to do them for your grad or undergrad auditions because everyone else has, and is. Like most overdone monologues, they are overdone because they are some of the best, and the most accessible. Most actors know Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet ; fewer actors know Cymbeline, Coriolanus , or Henry VIII.

ALL Shakespeare monologues can be viewed as overdone because there are a limited number, especially women's. But these are the ones we consider to be MOST overdone in recent years. Comments and additions are invited.

GREAT SHAKESPEARE MONOLOGUE RESOURCES
Before listing the overdone pieces, here is some good news: Thanks to the internet, it is very easy to find a Shakespeare monologue to work on. Go to one of these sites:
http://www.shakespeare-monologues.org/womenindex.shtml
http://www.shakespeare-monologues.org/menindex.shtml

You will see that there are many Shakespeares that are not on the lists below. The pages list women's and men's monologues with the play, character, verse/prose, act, scene, line number, and first line, which when you click on it, will instantly download you a pdf of that monologue. It's that easy. Pick a monologue that appeals to you a little bit. Then go to:
http://absoluteshakespeare.com
If you don't know the play already, you can read the plot summary and find out more about the character; and then, you can and must read the whole play. The site (and there are many others, just search under Shakespeare) is also filled with facts and links that will enrich your understanding of the play, and therefore your performance.

WOMEN'S SHAKESPEARE MONOLOGUES THAT ARE OVERDONE IN AUDITIONS:

All's Well That Ends Well/HELENA/Then I confess, here on my knee

As You Like It/PHEBE/Think not I love him, though I ask for him

As You Like It/PHEBE/I would not be thy executioner

As You Like It /ROSALIND/And why, I pray you? Who might be your mother

Hamlet/OPHELIA/Alas my lord I have been so affrighted

Hamlet/OPHELIA/O what a noble mind is here o'erthrown

Henry IV Pt 2/LADY PERCY/O yet, for God's sake, go not to these wars!

Julius Caesar/PORTIA/Nor for yours neither. You've ungently Brutus

Julius Caesar/PORTIA/Is Brutus sick? And is it physical

King John/CONSTANCE/I am not mad, this hair I tear is mine…

Macbeth/LADY MACBETH/Was the hope drunk wherein you dressed yourself?

The Merchant of Venice/PORTIA/I pray you, tarry: pause a day or two

The Merchant of Venice/PORTIA/You see me, Lord Bassanio, where I stand

The Merchant of Venice/PORTIA/The quality of mercy is not strain'd

A Midsummer Night's Dream/HELENA/How happy some o'er other some

Othello/EMELIA/But I do think it is their husband's faults if their wives do fall

Richard III/ANNE/Set down, set down your honourable load

Romeo and Juliet/JULIIET/O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou

Romeo and Juliet/JULIIET/Gallop apace, you fiery footed steeds

Troilus and Cressida/CRESSIDA/Hard to seem won: but I was won, my lord

Twelfth Night/VIOLA/I left no ring with her: what means this lady?

Two Gentlemen of Verona/JULIA/O hateful hands, to tear such loving words!

The Winter's Tale/HERMIONE/Sir, spare your threats

The Winter's Tale/HERMIONE/Since what I am to say must be that

The Winter's Tale/PAULINA/What studied torments, tyrant hast for me?

MEN'S SHAKESPEARE MONOLOGUES THAT ARE OVERDONE IN AUDITIONS:

As You Like It/ORLANDO/ As I remember, Adam, it was upon this fashion

As You Like It/JAQUES/All the world's a stage

Hamlet/HAMLET/To be or not to be

Hamlet/HAMLET/O what a rogue and peasant slave am I

Hamlet/HAMLET/Speak the speech

Hamlet/HAMLET/Alas poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio

Henry IV Pt 1/HOTSPUR/My liege I did deny no prisoners

Henry V/CHORUS/All prologues

Henry V/Henry/Once more into the breach dear friends once more

Henry V/Henry/This day is called the feast of Crispian

Julius Caesar/ANTONY/Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears

King Lear/EDMUND/Thou, Nature, art my goddess

Macbeth/MACBETH/If it were done when ‘tis done, then ‘twere well

Macbeth/MACBETH/Is this a dagger I see before me

Macbeth/MACBETH/Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow

Measure for Measure/ANGELO/Who will believe thee Isabel

A Midsummer Night's Dream/PUCK/ My mistress with a monster is in love

Othello/IAGO/Thus do I ever make my fool, my purse

Othello/IAGO/And what's he then that says I play the villain?

Richard III/RICHARD/Now is the winter of our discontent

Romeo and Juliet/MERCUTIO/Then I see Queen Mab hath been with you

Romeo and Juliet/ROMEO/But soft, what light through yonder window breaks?

Twelfth Night/SEBASTIAN/This is the air, that is the glorious sun

Two Gentlemen of Verona/LAUNCE/When a man's servant shall play the cur

Two Gentlemen of Verona/PROTEUS/Even as one heat another heat expels

(info found at: http://www.monologueaudition.com/overdo ... speare.htm)

Wed May 02, 2007 9:47 am

OMG...that is the MOST helpful site EVER!!!!!!!

I was having trouble remembering where one of the monologues I had recently found came from and sure enough, it was there! Cymbeline

THANKS!!!!!

Wed May 02, 2007 10:50 am

Location: In the woods far from civilisation (yet still with electricity? hmmm...)
Main Role: Performer
Wow! that's a wicked site! i'm doing the tempest for my exams next week and i would definately recommend that play - it's unusual cuz it doesn't fit under any of the genres completely. i saw it at the RSC in september and it was FAB!

[color=#80BFFF]lalalalala![/color]
I'm BACK! [color=#8040FF]But I need to work out a picture to put here...[/color]
[size=150]Team Cathy! :D[/size]

Wed May 02, 2007 10:57 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I was having trouble remembering where one of the monologues I had recently found came from and sure enough, it was there! Cymbeline

THANKS!!!!!

Wow. I was actually of some help to Jazzy? Jazzy who's helped me right and left for a long time? I can die happily now.

Wed May 02, 2007 11:05 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~ I Corinthians 10:31

Wed May 02, 2007 5:20 pm

jazzygirlsings wrote:

THANKS!!!!!

Wow. I was actually of some help to Jazzy? Jazzy who's helped me right and left for a long time? I can die happily now.

Yes, dear! You were! :lol:

Thu May 03, 2007 7:24 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

OK, I just realized this, and I don't know exactly the best place for this info...BUT, nonetheless, if anyone needs a SHAKESPEAREAN MONOLOGUE OR SCENE, PM me because I have all of the plays on a CD-ROM. I can post them in the boards or send them to you via PM. Just tell me what play and roughly what scene/character and I'll get it to you ASAP. I also have some Greek plays, but only a handful.

I just want to help out :)

Fri May 04, 2007 4:16 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

OK, I just realized this, and I don't know exactly the best place for this info...BUT, nonetheless, if anyone needs a SHAKESPEAREAN MONOLOGUE OR SCENE, PM me because I have all of the plays on a CD-ROM. I can post them in the boards or send them to you via PM. Just tell me what play and roughly what scene/character and I'll get it to you ASAP. I also have some Greek plays, but only a handful.

I just want to help out :)

Thank you for the generous offer. :D

However, you can find almost anything written by Shakespeare on the net. I go to http://www.online-literature.com when I need to read a Shakespeare play.

However, I should add that reading his plays online doesn't give you the benefit that books do - where there are notes on the language and the references in the margins and whatnot.

Fri May 04, 2007 4:51 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

Ok so I've hit a stump in my search for monologues. I can find plenty of dramatic monologues from Shakespeare, but I can't seem to find anything that's funny. Can anyone help me?

Fri May 04, 2007 5:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next