The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
READ ME before you ask for audition help 
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I've never needed an actual resume (that they didn't give me a form to fill out) before now, and I'm stuck making them up for my friends too, because they're even more lost than I am.

So far on them I have each person's name, Contact Number, email address, height, weight, hair color, eye color, vocal range, age, previous productions, training and special skills. I found a layout thing from a google search that sent me to about.com; which I used for all of them. I know it's kind of sad, but I'm totally lost. Sorry!

Is there anything I'm missing?

Actually, another good thing is to look on actors' websites.

You don't need to put down your weight...

List your productions on down the list in three columns listing (from right to left) the show name, the role you played and then the theatre you did the production with. (If you've worked with a director who is pretty well-known, I would mention them in this last column)

And with a newer resume, you can also list any concerts you have done, singing the national anthem at sports games, singing awards, singing groups you're in, improv troupes you're a part of, etc. under a heading of "Special Events" (Actually, even though I have a lot of stuff on my resume, I still have this section because I sing with an a capella Christmas Caroling group and that shows the panel that I have a good musical ear and can hold harmonies...)

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:06 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Okay, thank you so much! I will most definately use those suggestions next time! THANK YOU!

Previously:
Adelaide in Guys And Dolls Jr.
Props/Stage Crew in Cinderella

Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:14 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Current Obsession: Wicked
Main Role: Performer
Post Re: READ ME before you ask for audition help
Okay.

So i have learned a lot from this site about auditions, a lot of things i did not formerly know. And i am very much appreciative to those of you who have offered your amazing help to those of us who've needed it!

However, i have a question...

I now know that i should chose a song to sing that is relevant to the character i am auditioning for. And to...

MaryMag wrote:
Choose selections from the songs that showcase your range and vocal abilities. Choose songs that can be "acted," not just "sung."
Introduce yourself to the auditors. State your name and the title of the selection or selections you will perform. Do not give any background info about yourself or your selections. The auditors will likely already be familiar with the songs and the shows they come from.

However i have a question about this last part...

So say i have chosen a song that i feel is relevant to my character, that, aside from whatever character sang it in the musical it is from, and whatever they meant when they said certain parts of it, i feel that the character i'm auditioning for could have sang it in the musical they are in.

Since it is from a different musical, which, as MaryMag says, the auditor should know of or be familiar with, but i see it a little differently when applied to the show and character i'm auditioning for...

Is it okay to state something, short of course, about how i think it applies to the role i'm auditioning for???

I've been to quite a few auditions (all for community theater productions in small or medium-sized communities) but with the new knowledge i have been given from the great advice i've read on this site, i have a new appreciation for the whole audition process and what it really takes to be "prepared" for an audition.

Would taking the time to do this sort of an introduction be insulting the intelligence of the auditors, or would it be okay to want to make sure they see the they way i think the song is connected to the character i'm auditioning for? Do you think that they would be able to see the connection or would the show it comes from and the character who sang it be what they think about? Would it be appropriate to say something like "my name is ____ and i'm singing the song ____ from ____. I chose this song because i feel that ____ might have felt this way when ____." Or is that just wrong to do?

I think that's what i'm asking... I have had a hard time trying to phrase what i'm trying to say, but hopefully you see my point and can address the real question here. This is (once again) regarding a community theater audition in a fairly small-town area, if that matters, so i don't know how much "professionalism" that they will expect. I know some things that apply to professional or semi-professional theater don't always apply to smaller theater productions. These are the kind of auditions where you don't even bring a resume or headshot, just fill out the form they give you and smile for their polaroid camera.

Anyway, any responses and opinions would be much appreciated. :D

And please excuse my verboseness... That's just the way i tend to write. :oops:

Previously:
- The Beggar Woman in "Sweeney Todd"
- Carrie in "Carousel"

_____

http://youtube.com/kythca

Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:16 am
Profile WWW

^Honestly, I would not say anything and just do the song.

Take the risks. Make strong character/acting choices. Commit to those choices 110%. Those are the auditions that stand out. Make no apologies. Show them something they haven't seen before...

No need to explain it because they will see all that you are trying to say through your performance. Surprise them.

It's simple, really...and besides, they don't have the time to listen to you explain why you chose this song, etc...

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:54 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

No need to explain it because they will see all that you are trying to say through your performance. ...

I agree. If you can't show through your song what you were going to tell the CDs, then it's of no worth! Show em in your acting, not in your explanation.

A note on smaller theater auds - what do yall think of bringing h/r's to nonprof, smaller theater auds? I'm not some definitive expert on this - but I think at the first theater I volunteered at (a small nonprof theater in the midwest,) folks who brought in h/r's, copies of print ads, copies of reviews, giant press packets, etc, were looked at a certain way. And not necessarily a positive way! I think directors were kind of like, what the hell is this? You do know that we perform in a barn, don't you?

If I were auditioning for a smaller theater in a smaller city, I might hesitate to bring in a headshot. I may just bring in a resume. What do you guys think? I fear that h/r's are overkill at some theaters and may look a little pretentious.

Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:08 pm

I would honestly take my materials to those smaller auditions, just in case...and see what the majority of people are doing...Even ask the monitor, as they're usually pretty upfront about what you need...

Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:10 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

I'm auditioning for High School Musical! What do I sing?

Since this question has been asked SO OFTEN, I decided to put up a little post addressing this musical specifically.

MTI's summary:
http://www.mtishows.com/show_home.asp?id=000304

MTI's list of characters:
http://www.mtishows.com/show_casting.asp?ID=000304

MTI's song list (what each characters actually sings):
http://www.mtishows.com/show_songs.asp?ID=000304

stageagent.com's page for the show:
http://www.stageagent.com/shows.php?id=1628

stageagent.com's exhaustive plot summary:
http://wiki.stageagent.com/more_show_info.php?id=1628

an allexperts.com suggestion for audition songs:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Acting-Plays-Singing-695/High-School-Musical-Audition-1.htm
another one:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Acting-Plays-Singing-695/Auditioning-HSM.htm
and a third one:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Acting-Plays-Singing-695/High-School-Musical-Audition.htm

Musicaltheateraudition.com suggests you sing a song from a pop musical. Here is a list of pop musicals:
http://www.musicaltheatreaudition.com/shows/1showlists/popstyle.html

In the audition song thread, suggestions have included looking at Fame, Big, Mamma Mia, and other pop musicals. MaryMag has been known to suggest you sing a pop song, as the composers of this musical did virtually no musical theater writing prior to HSM.

There. Now you cannot ask for general info on High School Musical or on picking a song. If you do have a question, I expect it to be intelligent and informed and not something you could have easily found out here! :wink:

Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:21 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

There is a huge performing arts high school in our city, and every theatre is biased, and casts all of them for their shows.

How am I ever going to get experience if I never get cast for anything?

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:13 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post secret garden
for martha, i'm a mezzo soprano i believe, and i'm 17. i was wondering if somewhere over the rainbow would be a good song to sing for the audition.Thanks! :lol:

Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:14 am

^This would be best posted under the "Audition Song Thread"...

We established this thread to cover everything else...

Welcome to the boards and we look forward to learning more about you! :)

And southernsweetie...I really didn't have much theatre experience until after college! 8O

That's because I lived in a cultural wasteland! LOL!

So I guess what I'm trying to say is just be patient! :)

Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:59 am
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post accent
ok....i hope this is the right place to ask this question lol. does anyone know how to speak yorkshire? Thanks! :D

Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:36 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I'm honestly not sure if I should post this in this thread or not...
Anyways, I have an audition coming up for some Shakespear stuff, and my question is, is it more professional to pick my monologues from other shakespear work, or just from other shows? The lady I talked to said it didn't matter where is came from, but what is more professional?
By the way, this theatre only does Shakespear stuff.
Sorry if that doesn't make sense, I'm really tired and my mind is off in wherever.....

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~ I Corinthians 10:31

Tue May 01, 2007 12:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next