The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
READ ME before you ask for audition help 
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Well, after many reccomendations (mostly from this thread) I bought Audition by Michael Shurtleff and How To Audition For Musical Theatre. I have to say, I'm in love. I've only read to page 63 in Audition (and none of the other one, who can pull themselves away from Audition to start ANOTHER book?) and it's amazing. I really REALLY want to thank everyone here who recommended anything. These books are amazing!

Previously:
Adelaide in Guys And Dolls Jr.
Props/Stage Crew in Cinderella

Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:48 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

Well, after many reccomendations (mostly from this thread) I bought Audition by Michael Shurtleff and How To Audition For Musical Theatre. I have to say, I'm in love. I've only read to page 63 in Audition (and none of the other one, who can pull themselves away from Audition to start ANOTHER book?) and it's amazing. I really REALLY want to thank everyone here who recommended anything. These books are amazing!

I'm SO GLAD you like the book...it's obviously one of my favorites since it is in my avatar! LOL!

:)

What is the most valuable thing you've learned so far from the book?

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:53 pm

Post Re: Auditions
MaryMag wrote:
As for b&w versus color, my personal opinion is that you should use b&w unless you're living in LA or NY, where it's more widely used. If I'm wrong, someone please feel free to correct me! :oops:

If you're saying color is more widely used now in LA and NY you would be correct on that one. Also, for some strange reason, there seems to be an abundance of "you caught me laughing" headshots out here and I've heard from my agency friends that they usually get a pretty good response. Just something to think about...

As for the the eye contact thing, it's always a loaded question. It depends on the casting director. For the most part, they don't want you to look at them unless the song is something more presentational, like you are singing it to a group of friends. If you are singing a love song, DO NOT SING IT TO THE CASTING DIRECTOR...

I asked the eye contact question to Barry Moss at a workshop once and the entire panel totally flinched! They each had different views on it. If you are not sure, as a casting director, I wouldn't be offended at all if you asked if I could be included in your song because it's presentational, etc.

I would say it's generally best to find a spot at your eye level just behind the panel's heads if you are singing a more intimate song. BUT you MUST visualize a realistic scene partner in your mind before singing the song, or you won't be real to the panel...JUST READ AUDITION! LOL!

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:01 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

jazzygirlsings wrote:
MaryMag wrote:
As for b&w versus color, my personal opinion is that you should use b&w unless you're living in LA or NY, where it's more widely used. If I'm wrong, someone please feel free to correct me! :oops:

If you're saying color is more widely used now in LA and NY you would be correct on that one. Also, for some strange reason, there seems to be an abundance of "you caught me laughing" headshots out here and I've heard from my agency friends that they usually get a pretty good response. Just something to think about...

As for the the eye contact thing, it's always a loaded question. It depends on the casting director. For the most part, they don't want you to look at them unless the song is something more presentational, like you are singing it to a group of friends. If you are singing a love song, DO NOT SING IT TO THE CASTING DIRECTOR...

LOL!!!! Bolded the best part. It depends who the CD is...

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:03 pm

Eponine93 wrote:
jazzygirlsings wrote:
MaryMag wrote:

LOL!!!! Bolded the best part. It depends who the CD is...

It's so true though! LOL!

When I'm behind the casting table and people are singing to me and forcing me to be their scene partner when they're singing a love song...I swear I feel so uncomfortable I start blushing and then I completely forget what the person did in the audition...LOL!

I've also read that in a number of books, talked to other CD's, etc. :)

Glad it made you laugh!

Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:44 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

The most valuable thing so far is always reach for the most emotional commitment to the relationship. Or, at least, I guess that's how I'd word it. The "there is love in every relationship, and you have to find it and and fight for it" complex is really fascinating. That there's humor in every scene, no matter how serious is interesting too.

I just find all of the relationship stuff really helpful. This book is amazing...

Previously:

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:12 pm

The most valuable thing so far is always reach for the most emotional commitment to the relationship. Or, at least, I guess that's how I'd word it. The "there is love in every relationship, and you have to find it and and fight for it" complex is really fascinating. That there's humor in every scene, no matter how serious is interesting too.

I just find all of the relationship stuff really helpful. This book is amazing...

It really is...it not only improves your thought processes/preparation for auditions, but I truly think it makes you think better all-around as an actor.

It should be required reading for EVERY acting course...seriously!

Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:48 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I really wouldn't mind if it was required reading at all! It's a really interesting read, not boring at all.

The novels we read in school are 20 times worse than this. I really enjoy this book.

Yeah, I have a feeling this book will severely improve all of my future acting.

Previously:

Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:39 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I've never needed an actual resume (that they didn't give me a form to fill out) before now, and I'm stuck making them up for my friends too, because they're even more lost than I am.

So far on them I have each person's name, Contact Number, email address, height, weight, hair color, eye color, vocal range, age, previous productions, training and special skills. I found a layout thing from a google search that sent me to about.com; which I used for all of them. I know it's kind of sad, but I'm totally lost. Sorry!

Is there anything I'm missing?

Previously:

Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:17 pm
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

I don't tnink so. I'm working on mine, and that's all mine has on it too.

Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:40 am
Supporting Player
Supporting Player

jazzygirlsings wrote:
MaryMag wrote:

I know it's sad, but you just had me laughing for about a half an hour. I can just immagine that happening.

Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:41 am

^LOL! Everyone seems to find that funny, but it's true! I've been on the other side of that kind of thing. I turn 80 shades of red and then am so flustered I forget about what/how the person actually performed!

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next