The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
READ ME before you ask for audition help 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

It could be even better than Audition!

*GASP*

I am convinced you were meant to be a gay man... you were just born a woman. _DCrowley

R-E-S-P-E-C-T
And if you disagree B-I-T-E-M-E.

Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:35 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

I actually think Audition could have been better if actual excerpts from the plays mentioned were included instead of descriptions. Of course, then the book would cost a lot more with all the royalties to the playwrights.

Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:41 pm
Profile WWW

Current Obsession: Paul Gordon's new musical, "Emma"
I'm not sure if anyone has come across this before or posted it anywhere on MdN, but I found this site today, has TONS of info about shows. Synopsis, character list, song list, who has the rights to the show.

http://www.nodanw.com/menu_details/main_menu.htm

then go to "The Guide to Musical Theatre" on the left.

Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:33 pm

Main Role: Fan
Let's say I'm auditioning for a show and would like to be considered for more than one character? And they are entirly different....For example (because this will be really taking place), this fall I will be auditioning for Little Shop of Horrors. I really want to play Seymour (first choice), but its going to be tough to get. My close second is the Dentist character (his name slips my mind). I've read all your posts on picking a song releative to your character, but I have two! Should I prepare two songs, one for each, and ask which they would prefer me to sing? Like I don't want to throw away my chance of being Seymour because he's my favorite, but if I focus too much on him, then because of the character difference, I'm out of the running for the dentist!

Help me MaryMag Kenobi - you're my only hope! (Or anyone else who will respond) THANK YOU!!!!!

http://bestpicturenoms.wordpress.com/

Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Help me MaryMag Kenobi - you're my only hope! (Or anyone else who will respond) THANK YOU!!!!!

I love you for that.

I am convinced you were meant to be a gay man... you were just born a woman. _DCrowley

R-E-S-P-E-C-T
And if you disagree B-I-T-E-M-E.

Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:17 pm

I'm not sure if anyone has come across this before or posted it anywhere on MdN, but I found this site today, has TONS of info about shows. Synopsis, character list, song list, who has the rights to the show.

http://www.nodanw.com/menu_details/main_menu.htm

then go to "The Guide to Musical Theatre" on the left.

Great link! Good addition to this thread! :)

Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:55 am

lol I had just watched Star Wars for the first time in like three years.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:42 pm
Profile WWW

http://www.musicalnotesnmore.com/

It offers a synopsis of shows, PLUS after each one, there is a list of songs that would be ideal for auditions or performance pieces.

Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:39 pm
Profile WWW
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

Another helpful musical theatre link:
http://www.musicalnotesnmore.com/

It offers a synopsis of shows, PLUS after each one, there is a list of songs that would be ideal for auditions or performance pieces.

Awesome site. Thanks so much for posting that!!

Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:49 pm

Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Let's say I'm auditioning for a show and would like to be considered for more than one character? And they are entirly different....For example (because this will be really taking place), this fall I will be auditioning for Little Shop of Horrors. I really want to play Seymour (first choice), but its going to be tough to get. My close second is the Dentist character (his name slips my mind). I've read all your posts on picking a song releative to your character, but I have two! Should I prepare two songs, one for each, and ask which they would prefer me to sing? Like I don't want to throw away my chance of being Seymour because he's my favorite, but if I focus too much on him, then because of the character difference, I'm out of the running for the dentist!

Before I give you any advice, please know that it's just that - advice! I am not an expert. I don't even have a degree in this stuff. So I'm just a little wary of people thinking my advice is errorproof.

Do you get to sing 1 or 2 songs at this audition? If they originally said one full song, ask if you can sing shorter cuts of 2 songs. If you can't ask em, I would just go in with 2 16 bar cuts clearly marked and easy as heck for the accompanist to see, and when you first go in and are giving the accompanist directions concerning tempo, etc, just tell him to go right into the 2nd piece about 5 seconds after the first one finishes. That way you're doing the second piece before the CDs can even say anything to you!

Then yes I would do 2 songs, one that's more Seymour-y and one that's more Orin-y. A similar example is when I auditioned for little shop recently - i was thinking about auditioning for audrey and one of the gospely doowop girls. i was gonna sing one uptempo in an audrey character voice and a ballad in a more gospel-y doowop style. so if you're gonna do 2 songs, make sure each song captures not just the vocal quality of each character - (not sure how seymour and orin differ vocally, my apologies) - but also the personality of each character. and try to still do one uptempo and one ballad. so you've gotta find 2 songs that have all those characteristics! a ballad and an uptempo, one of which demonstrates a shy, nerdy, yet optimistic character and one of which demonstrates an overly-masculine, self absorbed sadist.

and it's hard, i think, to switch character between songs in 5 seconds. so practice practice practice switching from being shy and sensitive to loud and rude.

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:37 am

Yes, I do realize that it's just advice...but very good advice. I asked my high school director (Little Shop will hopfully be my first college production) the same question, and he said alot of the same things. So... THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next