The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
READ ME before you ask for audition help 
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

This thread is completely invaluble to anybody auditioning for MT. Big thanks, you've enlightened me to so many things recently!

Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:41 pm
Broadway Legend / MdN Veteran

what_the_heck013 wrote:
About a year ago, I found an excellent website from a college where they posted monologues that they suggest for auditions for their school. I wish I could find it. It had so many great monologues: Contemporary and Shakespearean.
oooh! do you have ANY idea what the site may have been? Any more clues that we can use to look for it?
I've been looking FOR MONTHS!!! I hate when I don't bookmark things. :( Someone on here reccomended it to me, though.

MaryMag, I must serenade you: "Love! You are love! Better far more than a metaphor could ever, ever be!". No joke.

EDIT: Okay, Bianca, so I didn't find the particular site I was looking for, but I found this, which is VERY similar: http://marymount.mmm.edu/study/programs ... ogues.html

Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

oh stop. 99% of what i know i learned from other members here, namely: jazzygirlsings, salome, chevstriss, opheliarose, shadowdancer, flyinghome, and others.

Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:58 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Syrso2yrsAgo wrote:
what_the_heck013 wrote:
About a year ago, I found an excellent website from a college where they posted monologues that they suggest for auditions for their school. I wish I could find it. It had so many great monologues: Contemporary and Shakespearean.
oooh! do you have ANY idea what the site may have been? Any more clues that we can use to look for it?
I've been looking FOR MONTHS!!! I hate when I don't bookmark things. :( Someone on here reccomended it to me, though.

MaryMag, I must serenade you: "Love! You are love! Better far more than a metaphor could ever, ever be!". No joke.

EDIT: Okay, Bianca, so I didn't find the particular site I was looking for, but I found this, which is VERY similar: http://marymount.mmm.edu/study/programs ... ogues.html

Bianca, if you really suck up to MaryMag and shower her with love and affection, she might PM you a few good ideas from her big long list of good scenes/monologues for females. MaryMAg would post it up here but her acting coach made it and MaryMag doesn't think that would be very nice to her acting coach to share the list without yall paying any $ to said acting coach.

Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:01 am
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

*picks a super special flower and places into soft flowy hair of MM*

*presents fifty good-looking, submissive, built, shirtless men standing in a line at MMs feet*

*turns on vaccum cleaner and sucks MM inside it*

*with the men and flowers.. and some candy, too.*

;)

<333.

I am convinced you were meant to be a gay man... you were just born a woman. _DCrowley

R-E-S-P-E-C-T
And if you disagree B-I-T-E-M-E.

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:39 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

wow... there is so much info, i had to start taking notes... thanks so much jazzy and mm...

Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:09 am
Tony Winner
Tony Winner

don't know if this is the best place to post this, but it's worth a shot.
i need to prepare two contrasting monologues, which i assume to mean one comedic and one dramatic. does the comedic one have to make them actually laugh? or do they just want a more lighthearted monologue than the dramatic one?

Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:22 am
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

don't know if this is the best place to post this, but it's worth a shot.
i need to prepare two contrasting monologues, which i assume to mean one comedic and one dramatic. does the comedic one have to make them actually laugh? or do they just want a more lighthearted monologue than the dramatic one?

It really dependso n the role your auditioning for, but I would go with Lighthearted more thsn I would all out Comic. You want to make them remember you for your acting abilty and not for making the CD Wet himself.

Working On:
Fame - Joe Vegas
Joseph - Pharaoh

Past Shows:
Allison - Phil Wonderland
Fame - Schlomo
High School Musical - Jack Scott
Chicago - Amos
Wizard Of Oz - The Scarecrow
Godspell - Lamar
Grease - Danny

Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:12 am

Main Role: Fan
Hey guys! This thread is so great! You guys should write a book! It could be even better than Audition!

Anyways, if I am auditioning for a certain type of character, would you reccomend dressing a certain way to help the director see it? Like if you trying out for a nerdy part, dress like a nerd, ect...

Thank you!

http://bestpicturenoms.wordpress.com/

Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:08 am
Profile WWW

Anyways, if I am auditioning for a certain type of character, would you reccomend dressing a certain way to help the director see it? Like if you trying out for a nerdy part, dress like a nerd, ect...
No, I hate when people do that. When I did Annie, a bunch of girls came dressed in rags with dirt on their face and some even came in red wigs. It was SO annoying!

Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:40 am
Profile WWW
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Like what the heck says, not in a costume!

what_the_heck013 wrote:
Brock07 wrote:
No, I hate when people do that. When I did Annie, a bunch of girls came dressed in rags with dirt on their face and some even came in red wigs. It was SO annoying!

Here's a link (with more links inside it!) that discusses this:
http://musicals.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59915&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

another concerning clothing at callbacks:
http://musicals.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56876&start=0

and this is what i say:
i say dress in whatever way suggests the character you're going for. notice i said SUGGESTS. that implies subtlety. so i'm not suggesting anyone wear a costume.

don't wear anything that makes it HARD for the casting directors to imagine you as the character you're auditioning for.

example:
if you're auditioning for an engenue like Sandy, don't wear a tight shirt that shows cleavage, a dog collar, or tomboy-ish or masculine clothes. Wear something feminine and flowy that suggests innocence.
if you're auditioning for rizzo, don't wear that. Wear something that shows strength, confidence, and a little bit of sex appeal.

IN ADDITION - don't wear something you would NEVER wear. This goes back to knowing and being comfortable with your type, but casting directors also want to see YOU and get to know your personality, who you really are when you're not playing a character. Maybe it's cuz they wanna see what you'll naturally bring to a character. Who knows. All I know is coach after coach tells me don't try so hard to be what they're looking for that you cover up who you really are.

when picking what to wear, i wanna make sure what i wear is not inappropriate for the character i'm auditioning for at the very least. at most, i try to wear something slightly suggestive.

for example, i'm 24 and auditioning for a 16 year old character tonight. i'm wearing this silk baby doll dress of mine that makes me look WAY younger than i am. in a month, when i'm auditioning for a 25-35 year old character in full monty, you can bet i won't be wearing that dress! the character, pam, is kind of an uptight business woman so I'm gonna wear something that makes me look older and more professional.

AND - be ready to dance in whatever you're wearing at the drop of a hat. #1 - you may not have time to change. #2 - Even at nonmusical auditions, many have been asked to dance! So I suggest wearing comfy shoes and something you can move in.

Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:26 pm

I love how someone asks a question and MaryMag replies with a chapter from a book. Amazing.

Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next