The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4873 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 407  Next
Audition song thread? 
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I can't believe that I'm asking for audition help now, but I am. I need a monologue for a summer theater program audition. I think I may do something from Nine for the song (most likely 'My Husband Makes Movies' or 'Unusual Way') but can someone give me a monologue?

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:35 am
Profile YIM
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Does anyone else thing "Spanish Rose" from "Bye, Bye, Birdie" goes perfect for Anita in "West, Side Story"

yes, definitely

those two characters have a lot in common. only its weird, i ended up singing a phantom song and got the part as rosie..you never know i guess!

Rosie-Bye Bye Birdie
Sally-You're A Good Man Charlie Brown
Nellie-South Pacific
Mishkin-Fools

Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:05 am
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I'm 16. I'm kind of short, brown hair, pale, skinny. (in case you need an idea what kind of part I'd be suited for). I'm more of an actress than a singer, but I suppose I'd be a mezzosoprano.

I can sing from the A below middle C to E above the C above middle C comfortably. I *definitely* can not belt, at all. In fact, I sing in my head voice almost all the time because I have not developed a very good chest voice. That's why I can never sing rock and roll songs it seems, because I do nooot have a rock n roll voice..but..I know the show is rock n roll and I'm willing to try anything.

Any ideas?

Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:05 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I need a song to audition for "Hair".

I'm 16. I'm kind of short, brown hair, pale, skinny. (in case you need an idea what kind of part I'd be suited for). I'm more of an actress than a singer, but I suppose I'd be a mezzosoprano.

I can sing from the A below middle C to E above the C above middle C comfortably. I *definitely* can not belt, at all. In fact, I sing in my head voice almost all the time because I have not developed a very good chest voice. That's why I can never sing rock and roll songs it seems, because I do nooot have a rock n roll voice..but..I know the show is rock n roll and I'm willing to try anything.

Any ideas?

"Toucha Toucha Toucha Touch Me" from Rocky Horror Picture Show might be nice. It's rock and roll, but doesn't require that throaty belt, and actually sounds better sung by a lighter voice, in my opinion. However I think it would be best to sing this only if the director's know you, and will get a kick out of it.

Of course you could always go with the standards "Suddenly Seymour" or "I Don't Know How to Love Him". Please don't.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:10 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Don't sing from Millie for at least 5 years. Every single person ever is singing from Millie and I don't care who you are, you're not better than Sutton Foster.

It's best to sing from an older or obscure show they're not as familiar with, that way they're not comparing you with someone amazing. If you sing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" you're not gonna be Judy Garland, and every note you hit the director will be thinking "Judy did it better" so find a couple of unique songs that aren't as well known.

"You Don't Know This Man" from Parade has served me wonders. Of course I'm not as good as Carolee, but most directors haven't heard it, and so they can't compare me to anyone else.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:17 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

"Toucha Toucha Toucha Touch Me" from Rocky Horror Picture Show might be nice. It's rock and roll, but doesn't require that throaty belt, and actually sounds better sung by a lighter voice, in my opinion. However I think it would be best to sing this only if the director's know you, and will get a kick out of it.

Of course you could always go with the standards "Suddenly Seymour" or "I Don't Know How to Love Him". Please don't.

Well, Toucha Toucha Toucha Touch Me wouldn't be a bad idea..except, yeah it would =P Because they just did that show, and I think it'd look pathetic in comparison.

I always end up auditiong with I Don't Know How to Love Him..'cause it's the best I got. Maybe "Everything's Alright" instead? Except..there's not much of a range in that song..

meh. i have no idea.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:35 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I have a question...this wasn't on the list but I am trying out for "Bye, Bye, Birdie" soon and I'm going out for Ursula (very energetic)

I need a energetic song to use (The director already heard me sing "Popular" from "Wicked" whenever I tried out for "Nunsense"/which he has never heard before so he thought it was hysterical...)

I'm thinking of using "Girl from 14G" for "Bye Bye Birdie" (I already have the music and I never used it for anything before...good idea or bad idea?

Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:34 am
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

That may work, but I'm not sure. It might work better for Kim than Ursula, but I think it's worth doing. For future reference-Popular=bad audition song.

Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:23 pm
Profile YIM
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I have a question...this wasn't on the list but I am trying out for "Bye, Bye, Birdie" soon and I'm going out for Ursula (very energetic)

I need a energetic song to use (The director already heard me sing "Popular" from "Wicked" whenever I tried out for "Nunsense"/which he has never heard before so he thought it was hysterical...)

I'm thinking of using "Girl from 14G" for "Bye Bye Birdie" (I already have the music and I never used it for anything before...good idea or bad idea?

There is no opera or scatting (?) in "Bye Bye Birdie." Also, Kristin Chenoweth hasn't been in a production of Birdie, so you may want to find another star whose songs you can copy.

Taking the fun out of Mnet - Priceless

Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:46 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I know Kristin Chenoweth hasn't been in "Bye Bye Birdie"

I'm only using 30 bars of the music (to the end of the oprea) to show off my range (a E to a middle C)

I just like the energy in the song. If you don't think that will work can you please suggest something?

Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:02 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

If you don't think that will work can you please suggest something?

um... no

Taking the fun out of Mnet - Priceless

Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:07 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

So, as I mentioned earlier, Hair auditions. Do you think "There's a Fine Fine Line" would be okay? I'm trying to think of songs that I can sing in my head voice..because I chest voice is pretty weak.

Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4873 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 407  Next