The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 4873 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 407  Next
Audition song thread? 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I need a song for Chava audition in Fiddler On the Roof

Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:48 pm
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

Only I did try out with "Think of Me" from Phantom and I got a lead role
so just go with whatever you're comfortable with

i do agree with the no les mis thing though, even though it has some of the most beautiful songs ever on broadway (in my opinion of course)

i guess other audition songs i'd suggest are

heaven on their minds- jesus christ superstar
the last midnight- into the woods
my sister is an alto and auditioned with the song "never fully dressed without a smile" from annie, its a good one if you want to show personality

STARFACE- since Chava is a mezzo, id suggest you go with one of the songs on the first page

Rosie-Bye Bye Birdie
Sally-You're A Good Man Charlie Brown
Nellie-South Pacific
Mishkin-Fools

Last edited by ADistantMoonAgo on Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

The only reason why I didn't put Last Midnight up because it's not in the sheet music.

Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:46 pm
Profile YIM
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

i'm not sure whats in sheet music or not, sorry

how about "what does he want of me?" from man of la mancha for a soprano
i think that might be a nice one

Rosie-Bye Bye Birdie
Sally-You're A Good Man Charlie Brown
Nellie-South Pacific
Mishkin-Fools

Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:51 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

I don't really need audtion advice right now, because I've basically decided what I'm singing...but I'm uber nervous because I have an audition in about two hours. Eek!

I mean, I know I'll get in because that's basically how this theatre group operates - I've done four shows with them, and they don't really turn people away anyway. However...I'm really torn between two songs...

Many a New Day and I'll Know (Oklahoma! and Guys and Dolls, respectively.) I'm auditioning for Guys and Dolls, but I'm undecided as to whether or not to audition for Sarah...I want to, but I don't know if I even have a shot at it (I am, after all, only sixteen, althought I played a 22 year old in my last show) - I know though, that if I don't make Sarah and I auditioned for her, I'm stuck in the mission band, and I've already been in there once...but I figure I might as well try for Sarah, right? But at the same time, I don't want to make a fool of myself if I get in there and they think I could never play Sarah. *sigh*

I don't usually babble so much, I'm just really nervous for some reason, and just trying to appease myself.

Wish me luck? (And suggestions, too, like if you think a 16-year-old could ever play Sarah in Guys and Dolls! ^.~)

Thanks. :D

Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:24 pm
Profile WWW
Young Hoofer
Young Hoofer

question??? Okay usually I play this game in my mind (I'm lame I know) where I prentend I'm trying out for a charcter in a musical and I match the song with the closest one I can find...

Example:

The Music Man (Marian)- "Wonderful, Wonderful day" -seven Brides for Seven Brothers

I do this to often for words...no wonder I can't pass my classes...

Does anyone else thing "Spanish Rose" from "Bye, Bye, Birdie" goes perfect for Anita in "West, Side Story"

or am I going crazy again?

Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:46 pm
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend

Main Role: Performer
I don't recommend Adelaide's lament. It's a complete character song that requires an accent, and doesn't actually have much singing in it... It's probably not a good one. However, I do recommend (for mezzo) Tell me On a Sunday. And I don't really think it's too overly used either.

Oh, and a good one for Chava (though I'm sure this is too late) is In My Own Little Corner from Cinderella :D

Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:39 pm
Profile WWW
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I don't recommend it either. If you are auditioning for a character role (ie: Adelaide, Audrey, ect.) there are other fantastic songs out there for you such as Somewhere That's Green. I'm not saying that the Lament is bad, but it is extremely overdone. So many girls try to sing it with the voice, when the voice just doesn't come out right. Also, vocally it is very much an acting song, not so much made for someone with a voice. It would probably make a good monologue though, for a high school show if you're auditioning for a character role. Actually, when I think about it, some parts of it could be a real monologue, simply with talking. What do you all think of the idea?

Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:01 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Hey all! I'm singing "Goodnight, My Someone" for a college audition, and I'm confused as to what to do with blocking. Should I just stand there and sing, should I walk around, should I move at all? Agh! If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

Past Roles Include: Sarah in "Guys and Dolls," Golde in "Fiddler on the Roof," Nancy in "Oliver," Maggie in "42nd Street," Grace in "Annie," Maria in "West Side Story," and Nellie in "South Pacific." :)

Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:13 am
Profile YIM
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Hey all! I'm singing "Goodnight, My Someone" for a college audition, and I'm confused as to what to do with blocking. Should I just stand there and sing, should I walk around, should I move at all? Agh! If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

that's a hard one, but when I sang it my director wanted me to say in the same place and act with my face... and a little with my hands. I deffinitley would have moved around on stage could I have helped it.. especially on the " true love can be whispered from hear to heart ect...."
I ended with reaching out to the star and Amaryllis cuddling up to me.. which Im sure you wont have for college auditions :)

Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:48 pm
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

I know, i know...another audition question. But i really need help!

I'm in a really difficult situation. I have to try out to get into a performing arts school with a song and monologue. I'm trying out for the drama program, but i'm more confident with musical theatre. This is a general audition, so I'm trying to show off everything I've got. I'm thinking either a dramatic monologue/comedic song or vice versa. I'm 15 and I can sing anything from a Gb below middle c to a E above high c. I'm in desperate need of help! with monologue and song!
thanks!
*Love*

Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:03 pm
Chorus Member
Chorus Member

I think you should put all of your energy into singing, and not worry about moving around the stage. That is, I don't think that moving around the stage will give you bonus points. You can use facial expressions while you sing to give your presence more feeling.

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 4873 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 407  Next