The Resource For Musicals

Auditions Auditions Auditions Forum

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Some Very Specific Resume Questions 
Fresh Face
Fresh Face

Post Some Very Specific Resume Questions
Hello everyone!

I used to lurk this board back in high school, and I picked up a lot of really great advice. I figured there would be some really helpful folks here that could provide some insight into how I should formulate my resume. I hope this post isn't super long-winded.

First, some background on me:
I'm a musician first and foremost. I play in a couple of bands, accompany solo singers, and I do freelance gigs for schools and artists online looking for a keyboard player, percussionist, bassist, guitar player, or backing vocalist. My sight-reading chops are rusty, but I frequently play 2nd keyboard parts for school and community theatre productions of musicals. I've also taken on various music director and supervisor roles in some cases.

I occasionally act as well, and acting is a passion that I share equally with music. I started in high school, and ever since I graduated in 2011, I've done nearly 20 community theatre and black box performances and a countless number of cabaret shows. I've also been cast in roles at a couple of private liberal arts colleges (that I never attended) but I was paid union rate despite not actually being apart of Equity. Those couple of experiences have been the only times I've worked with a professional director.

The point is - I live in a small town, and I have very little formal training. Family life and expenses (too much to explain and too personal) have stood in the way of completing college, and people are constantly telling me that I'm too talented to stay here. I have some professional actor friends that hook me up with audition info all the time, and they've given me contact information for big casting directors that are always looking for new people (the biggest theatre community close to me is in Atlanta).

My questions are:
- How do I include the college shows I performed in, while sort of distinguishing that I was not a student and that I auditioned for those roles alongside other professional actors?
- Will I look dumb if I include my community theatre credits?
- Is there any way to shoehorn my orchestra and tech credits into an acting resume (just in case they want to forward my info to the MD or something)? Or should I just include all that under "special skills".

And Lastly,

- I sort of have a wide vocal range, and "baritone" or "tenor" doesn't really cover all the notes my range comprises of. I usually describe myself as a tenor when I'm in conversation - but should my resume specify the notes in my range? Or could I put something like "baritone with rock belt" or things along those lines?

Sorry if I sound like a really pretentious noob. A lot of great opportunities have soared past me and I've put off creating a solid resume for a while, and I've sort of used that as an excuse to discourage myself from attending all the auditions I've known about. I hope you guys can help and give me some encouragement - because I need it!

Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]